Car subscription services a no go

Not surprised. Besides Volvo which seems more reasonable from a price perspective the other brands like Porsche / BMW etc are absurd. Only someone who’d have money to burn could afford them and that’s not the majority of folks.

$3700/mo to switch from and m5 to an x7. No thanks…why wouldn’t I just lease one of each and pocket $1000.

1 Like

Ha, I didn’t even know they had one

It was probably marketed to the type of New Yorker who’s paying $3,000+ for an M5 including parking and insurance.

That person would need another $2,000+ (again, including parking and insurance) for an X7 which they might need 2x/month on average

1 Like

And now that they all escaped the city the program is collapsing! I didn’t think of it that way though. Would make sense for those weekends in the hamptons when you can’t book the chopper.

If they could figure out these programs it would be amazing. Id love to grab a different loaner every month and I’d pay a premium for that. But my insurance on my i8 was only $150 so factoring that stuff in doesn’t add much value personally.

1 Like

is Care By Volvo still illegal in California?

I’ve been pricing out an XC40 normal lease. No incentives and dealers are not budging on prices. a 36/12 costs almost as much as their 24 month subscription plan, and the plan includes insurance!

ReachNow by mini was awesome. I used it in Brooklyn (much better vs car sharing (Uber) for running errands, or regular car rentals/Zip Car and a fun ride. Also when traveling abroad used the cars too but they merged with Car2Go and ultimately killed the program :/.

1 Like

I think Care by Volvo is available in CA. A dealer offered it once to me.

Was that recently? I recall dealers offering it when it was just coming out and then there being some legal headaches

Oh. It was a few years back.

I found this (the wording is LOL)

https://www.cncda.org/news/illegal-care-by-volvo-program-halted-in-california-as-result-of-dealer-association-petition/

and

Not surprisingly, the answer is on Volvo’s website

https://www.volvocars.com/us/care-by-volvo/faq/

Care by Volvo is available for residents in US states excluding: CA, FL, HI, MS, NC, ND, NY and SD.

1 Like

Here is from Sixt. Probably not bad for 1,000 miles/month (500 miles is $65/mo less). This is for Miami, but looks like rates may be lower for some other locations.

1 Like

Assuming it’s not a stripped out car (which it probably is) that’s probably pretty close to what an X5 would lease for.

I’d think so, especially Q8.

1 Like

Why is this thread not getting any traction?

Is this service for real? Considering the market that’s a pretty good option especially the 500$ to get out early…in Atlanta they have a bunch of Nissans and Chevys

Yes, we are real. We sold out of most other brands so fewer model choices at the moment. But more coming in late Q2. www.drivego.com/select-a-vehicle

These rental services seem fairly lucrative if they let you dodge personal property taxes as well. My county charges close to $200/mo. in tax per 50k value in vehicle. That would make the effective cost on these rental programs significantly lower.

I think you are right. This is a rental and you don’t pay property tax when do a regular rental.

I just ran numbers on the SIXT BMW X3 option and they are sticking to the normal rental car tactics of ‘everything extra costs extra’ and adding on surcharges and such. Rental charge is ~$1200/mo. all in for a sDrive X3 with 1000 miles per month.

I imagine since it is still a rental that my credit card would provide insurance so I did not factor that in.

1 Like