Worst leases you've seen

Tell me more about mortgage refi nightmares!

You could get a damn Maserati for that much monthly. Goddamn ridiculous. There’s a C300 with similar MSRP going for $270/month.

Now mind you, my job was to take people who were in bad mortgages and try to get them into good ones. We had purchased several regional banks who were failing so we got all sorts of customers.

The worst I saw was a couple that had taken a very oddly structured ARM loan where the interest rate basically increased each year. When I finally got to them they had like ten years left (out of 30) and were sitting pretty at something like 14%+ APR. And this was at the point where mortgage rates had hit lows of sub 3%.

Most of what I had to deal with were people who didn’t understand the balloon mortgage they’d been talked into. Lots and lots of very angry people on that one.

But, people treat banking very strangely. People who were paying thousands of dollars a year in overdraft fees who were perfectly happy with how things were.

1 Like

I once heard about a guy who wanted a Honda Accord Touring so badly, he agreed to put down $9000,and still had payments of $350/month for 39 months! :grin:

7 Likes

A great deal on a 2017 BMW 540I XDRIVE. Seller is offering $15,000.00 up front!!! A TON of extra miles. An absolutely beautiful car and fun to drive!!! FULLY LOADED M SPORT PACKAGE!! This vehicle is in pristine condition. Non-smoker. Garage kept. Call or email for details. DON’T MISS OUT!! THIS WILL NOT LAST!!

Monthly Payment
$919.95 per month
after $15,000.00 incentive applied.
Actual Payment
$1,475.51
939 mi/mo

Something tells me he’s going to be riding that out for the next 27 months, unless he parks it with the windows down in Newark.

2 Likes

Or someone will take it over, get the 15k and park in Newark with the windows down.

13 Likes

Do I win?

$25k/month for 60 months, and only $700k down! Yes, I double checked, and that is a lease and not financing deal. Pay $2.2 million over 5 years for a $2.4 million car…and walk away with nothing after 5 years! WOO!

3 Likes

From Reddit. Amazing that someone would even consider a VW for $860+ per month

1 Like

No, you don’t

Damn. 20202020202020

What’s even worse is that most people in the thread are telling him it’s a “decent deal for a VW”

2 Likes

dam I didnt even know Pagani was a brand. guess I like to know the brands that are more grounded in reality of owning one day.

Bob Baker Alfa Romeo offered me $790/mo and first mo + fees DAS (~$1300, I forget exactly) for 24mo/15k on a $50k MSRP Giulia Ti. Clearly a “no thanks” at that price! Ended up paying just over half that elsewhere.

1 Like

Whats the disposition fee? 200k?

“1.5-2.0% of vehicle price per month with $0 down payment”

2 Likes

Wanna hear something funny?
My current Lexus GS350 sport is ending in June, so I got a letter from Lexus saying that I can get some incentives by leasing another car from Lexus.
The GS350 2018 looks no different than my 2015 one, I got a great deal on my current GS. Zero due at signing, 35 payments of $470(tax included) MSRP $56500.
I thought I would give Lexus another shot, but certainly not GS again. I liked the new LS, but it is probably too expensive, the advertising special is $5k down, $899 plus tax on 36/10k. Msrp $74,000, so it is obviously high. Then this sales guy said, we have a LS460 2017 demo (4K miles)in stock, great discount, 16k off msrp of $89000, do you want to hear a quote?
I would have went for it if the price is reasonable.
Guess what? The guy offers me $1534 per month with $2300 drive off… $1534 per month for a 2017 ls 460 with 4000 miles on it!!!
I asked the guy, for $1534 per month, I could’ve got a brand new LS500, or S class or 7 series, Why would I want to lease an old Lexus? I would pay $50k in 3 years, for a residual of 33%. He told me he thought the discount of 16k would attract me

The guys at this Lexus dealership certainly has a good sense of humor…

:joy: I called this one out ! I feel bad now!

1 Like

Hello there. I was that poster on reddit and did not have enough info on leases to make an informed decision. I’ve researched my balls off in the past couple of weeks and now I know how royally bad they almost screwed me over!

I was guilty of that post above but now I am much more informed (and still working towards mastery). Currently working on a 2018 lexus gx lease as it is an outgoing model. I am proposing $533/mo. with no money down.

My wife and I love the Atlas but thanks to reddit and posts like yours, i learned how bad that deal was. But I am solely to blame as I did not know the ins and outs of leases. thanks to leasehackr and reddit, I am getting there.

So yeah. hi.

11 Likes

friend leased a mazda 6 for $300 a month touring trim. not too bad, but then he told me he traded his old car which was worth $8k…

1 Like