What cars to lease/buy during this time of chip shortage if you can’t wait?

I need to lease an SUV. Any models not affected by the chip shortages? The prices are gouging and I don’t see any deals that can be even close to reasonable.
I am afraid to buy or lease by expensive now then sell later after the shortage is fixed then may lose a significant amount of money. Appreciate your input.

Be sure to specify your location when asking for input on a deal! Tagging by state (e.g. CA, NJ, NY) is mandatory.

1 Like

Hi. We have several of these “what should I get” threads full of recommendations:

And one specifically for the shortages:

TL;DR (please do read)

• Hyundai is least impacted by chip shortages, but also in demand (:skunk::speak_no_evil: their blonde headrests smell like chemicals)
  • Every American (especially who hasn’t had a car in forever) is looking at suvs
  • Especially 3-row SUVs, of which there are not many choices, nor much inventory

If you are looking at any SUV now, you have never had more competition from other buyers who feel like they won 3rd prize in Powerball. They are less interested in sedans and wagons.

These threads are a challenge because it quickly becomes “but I don’t like” / “but one time” …

Can I suggest you browse these incredibly current threads (all updated this week, most today) about what is and is not leasing well, and maybe ask a more specific question we can help with?

6 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Did you look at the marketplace section?

Check out the “Marketplace” sections of LH forums to see what’s leasing well and narrow down your search.

1 Like

I just purchased a 2021 GMC Acadia SLT with a $44,110 MSRP for $32,100 if that helps.

2 Likes

That is helpful. Thank you. Which state?

I had to look around and drive a couple hours out of my way, but I got about 10% off MSRP on a Rogue SL. (Yes, I know there’s little love for Nissans here, but the 2021 is vastly improved over the 2020.) I’m in AZ.

Also, do you have any benefits through work? For instance, I have Subaru VIP through work which prices the car at invoice. My local dealer would honor that, as I think they are required to, though he obviously didn’t want to and grossly underpriced my trade to discourage me I think. That said, I could have sold my trade elsewhere and picked up the Forester if I had liked it better.

In Florida (Tampa area)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.