The diary of wimpy Lexus hackr - 2024 edition

So the time has come when her majesty my spouse is gracefully allowing me to get her into yet another RX350 (9th or 10th? who can remember).

And the hunt is on. Limbs are trembling with anticipation, heart is pounding in the chest with anxiety.

I’m bored so I’ll be documenting my journey to more than ever elusive RX350 hack in 2024.

03/09/2024

20 stores in NY/NJ/CT/PA are contacted since yesterday , all emails to SMs/GSMs with the target ask, which is 2% bigger pre-incentive discount than what brokers offer. I know, you are insane @RustyDaemon you dog you.

One no already. They wanted to meet my deal using current 2021 RX350 equity as DAS, which I’m planning to sell separately. That was 1% off MSRP deal if normalized. Trying to hold in the tears of defeat already.

03/11/2024

03/13/2024

03/16/2024

03/20/2024

03/22/2024

04/03/2024

04/06/2024 - Grand finale - Signed!

19 Likes

How much is the equity on your current RX and have you used up extentions?

I would wait for 2025 MY units to start stacking up and then keep an eye on smaller isolated dealerships with more than usual 24 MY units.

And finally, I hope your majesty is open to color combinations otherwise… ur climbing up the Everest dear friend.

4 Likes

Wow, she must really hate cars.

3 Likes

RX is actually a great suv that held up well thru the years. Not for everyone though

4 Likes

We have an old one.

I can’t imagine anyone going back for seconds.

My spouse, who isn’t into cars at all, adores it.

“I just can’t imagine getting rid of my baby. It’s so poofy.”

:point_up: While discussing going down to one vehicle here, and replacing the RX and my 750 with something like a Taycan Cross (or Sport) Turismo.

Yeah I remember your dislike for RX. The princess wants what she wants though.

For a luxury-ish car that will last the longest, it’s a two horse race between the Lexus ES and RX. Then daylight then the rest.

6 Likes

According to my current highest offer about 9K. It’s already on extension, although I still have few months to go. Main reason want to close in March is that the program on RX finally is better, and am afraid going to be loosing equity in the outgoing RX the more I wait.

Do you know when 2025s are going to start hitting the lots?

Her majesty gracefully gives ok to 3 color combos.

I get it completely. We each pick out our own cars.

And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

But my god.

So far, in the other half of the garage, over 15 years:

• Saturn SL2 (“so sporty”)
  • Toyota Prius (“fascinating technology” ← electrical engineer)
  • Lexus RX (“it really is poofy”)
10 Likes

Exactly my point. And like @max_g said daylight between it and everything else.

TBF this was considered fascinating by STEM-y type folks back then

2 Likes

I just can’t shake the view of the RX being a giant Boomermobile… My inlaws get another one like clockwork every three years :yawning_face:

3 Likes

Got another short and polite no. So far 0 tucks and 2 no tucks.

1 Like

Very funny you say that. My Mom currently drives a 2022 RX350. That replaced a 2020 RX350. Before the 2020 RX350, she had a 2016 Porsche Cayenne which she absolutely LOVED. She is going to be 76 in October and still drives 18 - 20K miles per year. High maintenance and repair costs (after owning a 2011 Cayenne & the 2016 Cayenne) drove her away from looking at another Porsche when it was time to get rid of the 2016 Cayenne.

Friends of hers (Jeff & Roberta) have been driving Lincolns FOREVER. They get a new one (same car, same color) every 2-3 years. Currently my Mom is going to be over her 39 month lease miles on the RX. We are starting to plan on what to do next. She asked me what her options were. I told her it is smart to stick with the RX. They changed the body. Its a little different. She said to me, “I don’t want to be like Jeff & Roberta who just get the same car every time.”

4 Likes

After a day of wielding calls and “when you can come in” emails, there are some updates.

No one agreed to my target outright.

• One dealer made an offer with 3% lesser discount if normalized.
  • One dealer made an offer with 2.5% lesser discount.
  • The guy I have existing relationship with ready to deal with 2% lesser discount. Basically, current east coast broker deal without broker fee.
  • Couple of hard short "No"s
  • One guy made me laugh: “Hey RustyDaemon, we agree to your ask!”. And then asks to give him my trade, pay him $1300 DAS on top of that and only then he meets my monthly, which was for an ask without any trade and 0 DAS.

3/11/2024 status: 0 tucks, 6 no tucks, couple still thinking.

4th day of the hunt, initial emails went out Sat, Sun was day off for most dealers. Current offers, normalized for buy rate:

• Dealer 1: 9% off, average doc fee
  • Dealer 2: wanted to take my trade and additional $1300 DAS, normalized would be 10% markup on MSRP
  • Dealer 3: 8.6% off, low doc fee
  • Dealer 4: 6.4% off, average doc fee
  • Dealer 5: 8.5% off, average doc fee
  • Dealers 6-9: didn’t say No outright, wanted to talk/think/mull things over/whatever
  • Dealer 10: No without counter

The rest haven’t responded.

3 Likes

Guys with highest offer for my current RX are pushing me hard to sell it and I’m afraid I’m gonna start losing all that sweet Lexus equity if I don’t sell quickly. Still no bites at the original target.

I’m adjusting my target by -1%. Lets see if one of my existing GMs would want to close.

How much does the 1% target deduction offset your equity ?

Around $500.

11th day: came within $800 of my adjusted target, but decided to wait. Lots of dealers claim no inventory of Premium trim for such discounts. They do push F-Sport Handling and Performance trims aggressively, got couple offers at 13% off and buy rate. Unfortunately, those 21" rims on F-Sport are no go for the missus due to harsher ride.

2 Likes