Signed: 2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - $43,380 MSRP $2250 DAS $334/mo @ 24mo Balloon

This deal is for a moderately equipped Dodge Challenger Scat Pack. Options are auto trans and driver convenience. You can read the entire saga in this thread which I’ll summarize in one post:

Year, Make, Model, and Trim: 2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack RWD
PenFed MSRP: $43,605
Actual MSRP: $43,380
Sales Price: $41,581 (4.2% actual, 4.6% effective)
Point of Sale Rebates: $6350 ($4850 Power Dollars $1000 PenFed TDM $500 Conquest)
Post Sale Rebates: $250 (Allstate Bonus Drive)
Taxes: $2,794
DMV fee: $596
Dealer fee: $389
Months: 24
Mileage: not to exceed 15K/yr
Monthly Payment: $334
Effective Drive-Off Amount: $2250 ($2500 DAS minus $250 Allstate Bonus)
APR: 2.99%
Residual: 70%
Final Payment: $30,833
Region: New Jersey
Included: GAP, Deductible Insurance, ID Protection

I am financing this with a balloon loan from Pentagon Federal Credit Union. In that sense, this isn’t a traditional sign thread, but I thought this was still a good data point for others, given the pricing structure and non-traditional financing option. I have modeled a calculator as close as I could to try and come out with a score (9.3 years) and total cost ($9,983). Of course, this doesn’t include what happens with my final payment vs the market value.

The dealer is Jeff D’Ambrosio CJD in Downington, PA – If you want my sales rep contact info send me a DM, they are able to replicate, if they can find the inventory. Only dealer I found, after 3 weeks, willing to go to invoice on a unit w/o using Affiliate.

10 Likes

Love the car. I’d just want the better interior…not a fan of the cloth in challengers.

1 Like

@TheRaven has a good idea to add the Plus package. Maybe would have added $25/mo to the payment.

But one nice thing about this loan approach, I can modify the vehicle without need to restore to a particular return condition. I can try to find a leather interior to swap in, or could go the Katzkin route and have leather added…

1 Like

Just pm you. About your sales man. Do you think they have good deals in rams. Im in new jersey as well. New to trying to find a deal on my own. Ill usually hire a broker. Doesn’t seem like many do rams.

If you want leather, check out Leatherseats.com. It’s the online front for CFI in Oklahoma. I’ve been working with them for nearly 20 years now, their product is higher quality than Katzkin and their patterns are better too. Also they have dedicated in-house support, and they love custom projects, so if you are doing something interesting they will be happy to help with any advice they can offer.

I replaced the leather in my Tahoe last year with a custom red/black stitch pattern and it’s fantastic. The fit is factory level and the leather is as nice as my XTS Platinum.

I had never considered one of these until I saw the picture you posted above. Looks awesome. At least at initial glance it appears it’s easier to get a bigger discount on a hellcat. Stupid question but is there a reason why the scat packs are nearly impossible to get a discount on vs the hellcats? Is the additional msrp simply perceived as not worth it by the general public?

Do you happen to know if the PenFed auto saver offers a “walk-away” option at the end of the term before you are required to make the balloon payment? I’m seeing this as an option on other balloon loans but haven’t found evidence that PenFed offers it.

I’m not really sure it’s any easier to get a pre-incentive discount on a Hellcat vs a Scat Pack. I can tell you that options play a big role. I was looking for base Scat Packs, so the difference between invoice and MSRP was very small. A base Hellcat is basically impossible to find, most them them are equipped up into 70’s or 80;s with options. That said, I would have trouble buying something like a 10% discount on a 2020 Challenger Hellcat right now, especially since the only 2021 Challenger Hellcat will be the Red Eye. FWIW The charger market seems to be different vs challenger.

They do not have a walk-away option on the Payment Saver program. I’ve read some blog posts that they are considering a new program with a walk-away option, but couldn’t find very many other details on it.

Your other post has started pushing me in this direction. I get FCA Affiliate pricing, so 1% off invoice.

Is the MSRP determine by the actual MSRP or is it based off what shows up in the calculator? I have noticed that the calculator is typically $3-5k less than actual MSRP.

Thanks! Shortly after your response PenFed customer service confirmed there is no walk away option at this time.

Yet another thing PenFed couldn’t pull off.

Announced April 2019:

"Scaled back" August 2019:

Quietly disappeared: ??/20??:

1 Like

I have a Challenger Scat with leather. Sure it’s nice, but that’s not the only thing. The ventilated seat option doesn’t come with cloth. Once you have a car with ventilated seats in South Florida, you’ll never want a car that doesn’t have it, ever again.

I just scored a like new take off set of leather scat pack seat covers from a private seller on my local facebook marketplace. Seller had purchased a 2020 Challenger and immediately swapped the Plus interior for a custom Katzkin interior (he didn’t like the suede) The modifications have begun ;).

2 Likes

Ask my kids what my dream car is and they’ll tell you a burnt orange challenger. I have never owned a domestic in my life, but these challengers are just amazing to look at.

1 Like

Fast forward to present and I have accepted an offer from Carvana to sell the Challenger for $39,904. I made 6 payments on the vehicle totaling $2016 and I paid $2250 at signing so my total cost was $4266 and I am clearing $5240 in positive equity from the Carvana offer. The net result is I got paid $974 to drive this car for 6 months and 1500 miles.

18 Likes

Crazy. I have been following your posts for 3 days now, and that you posted this today is great. Congratulations. I may just follow in your steps…

Holy sh!t you dumped it already? Just curious, what were other offers from Vroom, Algo, etc.

I am now fully invested in getting a scat pack if I can swap out of the Camaro in July. I have one dealer on boil for a 2021 SP w/manual transmission, msrp $43k and $38,500 otd with all discounts and rebates. The residual for 24/10 is 73% right now. Hope it holds for a while.

Algo was around $37K, Vroom $35K, most dealers around $35K trade-in and then Rodo at $33K.

I had some fun with it, I usually don’t pass-up a reasonable exit opportunity, since it’s not my primary. I figure I can always get into a Camaro when I get bored of the truck again.

UPDATE 3/28: Carvana offer is now $39,904

1 Like

Thanks for detailing the play-by-play! Why so few miles (winter?)? Was insurance decent for half a year?

485 HP for under $400/mo effective is awesome. Only if interior was slightly attractive :frowning: