“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Michelle Tanner GIF

@max_g ’s post on Places to Value your trade make it much simpler, and most replies we can’t answer are simply lacking an hour worth of homework by following that post.

Agree that the first/last 50-ish posts cover just about every scenario, but if someone wants to post a new reply answering the questions in the first post, we’ll do our best.

Lease end is coming up in December buy out around 17400 for 2021 Honda Accord Sport 44000 miles. I have an option of purchasing a Honda Accord hybrid and put enough down to get me to a comfortable payment. Purchase not a lease. Probably lower interest rate than I would get with the lease buy out. Wondering if I should just save the hassle and money for the down payment and buyout the lease and keep paying it or jump into a new car. Either way it’s going to be another 60 months for either car whether i buy out the lease or get new. Any thoughts…

Can’t go wrong buying out the lease, is the new Accord different enough to justify the higher payment? Probably not, at least that’s my opinion, doubt the savings in gas will justify the Hybrid. Sounds like the the Hybrid will have a subsidized rate so that comes in to play too. Shop the equity in the trade and shop the new car and see if anyone can get better numbers than what you’ve gotten so far.

1 Like

Thanks for the Reply. I have shopped around. Even with the equity in the car (3k) and the subsidized loan rate from Honda (which I know the dealers in the area are going to markup) I would have to put down a significant amount to get close to the payment if buying out the car and that is with a discount from the dealers off MSRP. The difference is that I’m not leasing again it would be a purchase. Hence the higher payment. I’m more inclined to purchase the car keep driving it until something worth it comes along.

Still keeping eyes open to any lease deals. Not opposed to leasing again as long as no money out of pocket and keep my equity in the car.

EV’s are the only real deals right now, and that’s dependent on the state you’re in more than anything. I’d much rather buyout a car that has instant equity than over pay for something new right now, plus it’s a Honda so you know it won’t crap out.

2 Likes

Crazy times for car shopping. Always leased cars and now have to rethink car shopping

1 Like

Makes sense; appreciate your response.

i defintely will go EV route once lease ends in dec 25…sucks bmw 2 series ev rumored for 2028

Have a 2021 m340i lease ending in March 2024, so about 5 months left. I’m paying about $650 a month with 0 down, max MSD and TX sales tax. MSRP about 62k.
Current buy out around $38k.
Car is in excellent condition. Really like the car and barely had any issue with it, and love the drive.
With lease end coming up, was debating if I should keep the car or get a new lease.
I have all stock 18 inch non-run flat tires, they are pretty much all worn out. If I were to return it, I’ll need to place all 4 tires. Tried to search locally for used 225/45/18 tires but not much luck.
If I were to buy it out, I’m thinking about getting 4 new tires and maybe keep the car for at least 1 or 2 years. Any recommendations on new or used tires and also if I should buy it out now or wait till next March?

If you are going to buy it wait till the end. For used tires you can check Ebay. For new tires I would check tirerack.com

1 Like

I just put 4 brand new Pirelli P-zero AS plus 3 non-rft on mine thanks to advice from @PetevB. You won’t find many reviews since they are fairly new to the market but have been great so far. May as well get them now before winter.

I extended my lease until December with intent to buy.

1 Like

Thanks!
The Conturato p7s on my current car is really garbage. In less than 2 years they got down to less than 4/32 and I do pretty normal drivings.

Yup I had the same ones on mine.

Do we think paying $1200 to CPO my m340 is worth it for an extra year of coverage? No additional fees except tax and dmv. Not sure how long I’m keeping it but seems like cheap insurance.

The non cpo extended warranties are over 3k for the extra year.

Interested in this as well for my x7

Does that take you to 5 years and how much mileage?

How’d you approach the dealer to do this, or is it a common request?

Thanks.

Apparently unlimited mileage which isn’t a problem for me anyway since I only have 22k miles. I asked them for the option to see cost.

Well, tax is a huge one-time expense. So decide how long you’re going to keep it to make that expense worthwhile.

Buy a Platinum BMW extended warranty based on that length of time. CPO is only Gold, with a lot more exceptions.

1 Like

Right, tax is $2200. Platinum on the website is listed at $4400 seems like a ripoff for 1 extra year. I’m sure the dealer price could be less, haven’t checked yet.

Until a new m340, m440, c43, s5 can be leased under 700 effective, I don’t think I’ll get getting rid of it anytime soon. Not ready for electric.

Check the various bmw forums; you can do a lot better on a 2- or 3-year extension

1 Like

I’d consider an extended warranty for a longer term, not that cost for 1 year.

If you’re buying peace of mind, it won’t cover wear parts. I’d find the best/cheapest coverage for as long as I expect to actually own it, and keep in mind you’ll still have to pay for brakes and tires.

3 Likes