“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Hi folks, my 2021 Volvo XC60 T6 lease is ending this month. The car has around 25k miles on it, and feels new. The contracted buyout value is ~$32.5k+taxes. On personal front, I will be looking at an overseas assignment around mid 2025, due to which I don’t want to get into a new lease. I can think of two options:

a) buy out Volvo and use it till I leave the country. I’ll probably need to replace tires and pay for annual maintenance etc, but I am okay with the costs and risk with an out of warranty vehicle for 1.5 years.
b) purchase a car that doesn’t depreciate much. I looked at Model Y but didn’t like the interiors.
c) lease a car for 24 months, but Europeans cars lease badly for that duration.

I’m leaning towards option a; anything I’m missing? Any other cars I should look at for options b or c?

TIA!!

If that overseas assignment if for military reasons, you can return the lease when you leave under SCRA. Look into it if it applies to you.

1 Like

Model Y definitely doesn’t fit that description. If you wanted to go down that route your best bet would a Honda HRV, Toyota Camry, Subaru Crosstrek, etc etc.

2 Likes

Corolla Cross maybe?

Honestly it could be any two box silhouette from ToyHonSubKiDai

IMG_6959

Ironically none of those silhouettes appear to be Japanese

2 Likes

Maybe top right is a Korando :joy:

Middle right looks like the Jurassic Park ML on top but the bottom section looks funky.

I have 21 White X3
Premium
Driving assist plus
Ventilated seats etc
Buy out is 31.5k
Should I buy or lease a new one with same features?
Thank you Hackrs!

What’s your current payment? What was MSRP?

567 tax included and 59k.

Hmm…as a new one is about the same price right now, see how much Carvana, Carmax, Vroom THINK it’s worth (As you cannot sell a leased BMW to them)

Have a 2020 BMW 840i GC in socal coming up next month with the following:

$98,000 msrp (msport, comfort, da, dapro, etc.)
Buyout $52,000 (tax is on $45,000 after $7,000 msd)
Lease was 0 DAS + 999/mo incl tax.

Only driven 16,000 miles (got a Harley for commute…) in 35 months and I really like the car because I’d always wanted a 6 GC before they replaced with an 8 and I think this is the best looking BMW in their current lineup. Also may be cool to own in the longer term an 8 series with ICE when everything goes hybrid/electric?

With the rate hikes, I don’t think I can find anything close to this in today’s market. Carvana/Vroom are only offering ~$48-49K but most of the used ones in similar specs are close to or higher than my buyout with a lot higher miles (30k+).

What do you guys think? Is it a bad idea to plunge ~$55k into a 3-4 year old BMW or ok with some extended warranty? Financing seems expensive too so wondering if I should just pay in full.

Other option I’m considering is leasing a new X5 (had one before this 8) but I will be getting less tech (options) and higher effective payment for sure.

So you have about $4k in equity? How much would a 2024 840i lease now for the sake of comparison? I don’t think it’s a bad idea to buy it.

Thanks. Well carvana and vroom are offering ~4K below by buyout price not above. But if I were to buy the same car, I would think it will be more than buyout given not many listings within 200 miles. This has been a low volume model so there isn’t great amount of both new and used inventory… None of the brokers here are quoting an 8 series on their spreadsheets so I wouldnt know how much unless I ask, but I’m sure it will be well above my current effective monthly.

If you love the car and don’t want an suv like an X5 consider buying it if you can live with it for a few years

1 Like

Did you try Autonation? They offered a much better deal than Carvana for my X7.

1 Like

If you really like the car you should keep it. But don’t assume this will start a bidding war on BaT for another 35 years.

1 Like

I have similar problem with my Niro EV.
Carvana offer is 4k below buyout and all listed models I see around same year/miles/trim are 2k higher than buyout.

I’m considering buying it out and use for few more years

I have a 2021 Audi E-Tron Premium with one payment left on the lease:

$71k msrp
residual value - $35,233 turn-in date feb 6 2024
current payoff - $36,861
lease payment - $819 including tax
state - CA

I am over-mileage around 5k right now. I still like the car but I believe I am under $6k equity currently based on kbb. Should I buy this out or turn it in? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!