2020 BMW End of lease options for warranty

Hello all, looking for some guidance. Lease is up end of Feb 2023, and I’ve pretty much decided to keep my 2020 BMW X4 after casually looking and not feeling like spending the time to find a deal which seems like a needle in a haystack at the moment.

Current: 2020 BMW X4 30i,
Miles: 26K (leased as a loaner with 2K miles)
Warranty: 4/50K good until 12/23
Lease PMT: $468,12K/36 months (Thanks to Hackrs 3 yrs ago).
MSRP $62,490
Buyout: $34,543 + $2,174 tax.

Was told by my local dealership that the smartest thing to do was get it CPOd and buy it through BMWFS. Said $1,175 fee to register the certification(?) and $350 for the inspection plus whatever the car needs to meet the checklist. I probably need two tires in the rear.

After reading in here I was thinking that maybe just going straight to an extended warranty was the way to go, Platinum. Found one from a link in here for a CPO Platinum (no Deductible):
72 month/unlimited for $2,650
84 month/unlmitied for $4,100

If no CPO (no deductible):
60 months/75K miles $2,900
72 months/75K miles $3,350
84 months/75K miles $3,800

$300 more approx for $100K.

I can also extend the lease for 2 more months which I might due, and up to 6 months if I order another car.

So I was originally going to ask is it worth doing the CPO, CPO + Platinum, or just go straight to Platinum. And then talking to another dealer who isn’t full of Shipt$, he told me that BMW is offering complimentary Certification and that there shouldn’t be any fees or inspection costs. So I think that makes the choice simpler, but just wanted some other guidance on the smartest way to do a buyout with this fact pattern. I actually have two of these cars with similar stats.

Was considering buying a Tesla with the price cuts and Tax credits and wondering if adding the tax, on top of a warranty, on top of new tires, higher interest rates etc. I was being dollar foolish. So appreciate any thoughts there as well.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on my situation.

I love the X4. The cheapest option is to buy it directly from BMW finance to avoid all the dealer fees. If BMW is giving free certification, why not? The Tesla option is also good considering that they just revised the tax credit for all Model Ys, as long as you meet the income requirements

1 Like

I remembered seeing some recommendations on discounted extended warranty from bimmerpost (some dealership out of Santa Barbara iirc), I haven’t used them but might worth checking out.

2 Likes

Here’s a couple of dealers from Slickdeals that offer warranties

2 Likes

Stalking this thread, I’m in the same boat, considering buying out my m8 and getting warranty as an option if I can’t get what I want at a reasonable price

On the same boat, considering buying out a X7 lease and purchase the extended warranty.

From my understanding, CPO can only be applied if the car under dealer ownership. You get only one additional year drivetrain warranty but pay for disposition (to transfer the ownership to dealer)+fees mentioned above. The dealership has to make margin so add some extra $$ there…
The other options you mentioned actually extended warranty, not CPO related. From the pricing that you shared, these warranty provided by 3rd party instead of BMW.
If my understanding not right, please feel free to correct. I would like to learn more about the extended warranty and the maintenance plan.

I’m in a similar situation. I got a M240i convertible and the lease is up in the mid July 2023. I didn’t drive it that much and it only got 12k miles on it. Some of my friends suggested that I should just buy it out and maybe consider selling it later with a better price.

Are you saying they revised the tax credit to include Model Ys over the 55K threshold since I checked last week? I test drove one and was considering it but have to get the 20 inch wheels. At the dealership on a Sunday and it worked. A day later I checked they raised the base price $500 and now that build became $55,495 and no longer qualified. So I took it as a sign to just keep my X4.

2 Likes

Those warranty prices were from a BMW dealer, not a 3rd party. One set if you do CPO and one if you don’t. The CPO option only applies to those buying out their BMW lease is my understanding. You have to do this with a local dealer since they need to perform a Vehicle inspection. The extended warranty you can buy from any BMW dealer anywhere.

Was unsure if certification was worth doing since my local dealership wanted to charge me $1,175 + 350 inspection fee, plus whatever they found wrong with the car. Or just going straight to the extended warranty, but if it’s free right now I’m thinking it’s a no brainer. Just wanted to see if others agree or had any other recommendations and things to be aware of like my local dealer not telling me BMW had an offer about it this month. Now I just need to find a local dealer willing to acknowledge that BMW is offering the certification complimentary this month instead of trying to charge me for it. Welcome to Florida.

On other forums (Porsche, BMW), I see people using Fidelity third party policies. That may be worth a look.

I have used Troy at fd-warranty.com

I know there are others perhaps with better pricing in some of the forums

Another option for good pricing on Fidelity - and you can get quotes online:

Promo code “bimmerfest” or “Rennlist” will get you $200 off

2 Likes

Well, it must be a Florida thing because the dealers down here have not heard of the February offer of complimentary CPO and want $1,700 for the certification and inspection. 2 dealers outside of Florida separately mentioned it to me.

I went through Jeff Steel a few years ago to buy extended maintenance for a 335i lease take over.
Another name seems to pop up pretty often on bimmerpost is Christine from Steve Thomas BMW cnewman@stevethomasbmw.com
Reach out to both of them, see how they compare.

1 Like

Spoke to Christine and she’s great.

1 Like