“Should I buy out my lease?” super-thread

Interested in this as well for my x7

Does that take you to 5 years and how much mileage?

How’d you approach the dealer to do this, or is it a common request?

Thanks.

Apparently unlimited mileage which isn’t a problem for me anyway since I only have 22k miles. I asked them for the option to see cost.

Well, tax is a huge one-time expense. So decide how long you’re going to keep it to make that expense worthwhile.

Buy a Platinum BMW extended warranty based on that length of time. CPO is only Gold, with a lot more exceptions.

1 Like

Right, tax is $2200. Platinum on the website is listed at $4400 seems like a ripoff for 1 extra year. I’m sure the dealer price could be less, haven’t checked yet.

Until a new m340, m440, c43, s5 can be leased under 700 effective, I don’t think I’ll get getting rid of it anytime soon. Not ready for electric.

Check the various bmw forums; you can do a lot better on a 2- or 3-year extension

1 Like

I’d consider an extended warranty for a longer term, not that cost for 1 year.

If you’re buying peace of mind, it won’t cover wear parts. I’d find the best/cheapest coverage for as long as I expect to actually own it, and keep in mind you’ll still have to pay for brakes and tires.

3 Likes

Hi folks, my 2021 Volvo XC60 T6 lease is ending this month. The car has around 25k miles on it, and feels new. The contracted buyout value is ~$32.5k+taxes. On personal front, I will be looking at an overseas assignment around mid 2025, due to which I don’t want to get into a new lease. I can think of two options:

a) buy out Volvo and use it till I leave the country. I’ll probably need to replace tires and pay for annual maintenance etc, but I am okay with the costs and risk with an out of warranty vehicle for 1.5 years.
b) purchase a car that doesn’t depreciate much. I looked at Model Y but didn’t like the interiors.
c) lease a car for 24 months, but Europeans cars lease badly for that duration.

I’m leaning towards option a; anything I’m missing? Any other cars I should look at for options b or c?

TIA!!

If that overseas assignment if for military reasons, you can return the lease when you leave under SCRA. Look into it if it applies to you.

1 Like

Model Y definitely doesn’t fit that description. If you wanted to go down that route your best bet would a Honda HRV, Toyota Camry, Subaru Crosstrek, etc etc.

2 Likes

Corolla Cross maybe?

Honestly it could be any two box silhouette from ToyHonSubKiDai

IMG_6959

Ironically none of those silhouettes appear to be Japanese

2 Likes

Maybe top right is a Korando :joy:

Middle right looks like the Jurassic Park ML on top but the bottom section looks funky.

I have 21 White X3
Premium
Driving assist plus
Ventilated seats etc
Buy out is 31.5k
Should I buy or lease a new one with same features?
Thank you Hackrs!

What’s your current payment? What was MSRP?

567 tax included and 59k.

Hmm…as a new one is about the same price right now, see how much Carvana, Carmax, Vroom THINK it’s worth (As you cannot sell a leased BMW to them)

Have a 2020 BMW 840i GC in socal coming up next month with the following:

$98,000 msrp (msport, comfort, da, dapro, etc.)
Buyout $52,000 (tax is on $45,000 after $7,000 msd)
Lease was 0 DAS + 999/mo incl tax.

Only driven 16,000 miles (got a Harley for commute…) in 35 months and I really like the car because I’d always wanted a 6 GC before they replaced with an 8 and I think this is the best looking BMW in their current lineup. Also may be cool to own in the longer term an 8 series with ICE when everything goes hybrid/electric?

With the rate hikes, I don’t think I can find anything close to this in today’s market. Carvana/Vroom are only offering ~$48-49K but most of the used ones in similar specs are close to or higher than my buyout with a lot higher miles (30k+).

What do you guys think? Is it a bad idea to plunge ~$55k into a 3-4 year old BMW or ok with some extended warranty? Financing seems expensive too so wondering if I should just pay in full.

Other option I’m considering is leasing a new X5 (had one before this 8) but I will be getting less tech (options) and higher effective payment for sure.

So you have about $4k in equity? How much would a 2024 840i lease now for the sake of comparison? I don’t think it’s a bad idea to buy it.