Running high on miles, lease contract show's N/A for excess mileage charge?

Wait you’re paying $600 for a bolt?

5 Likes

Yeah, shopped around and it was the best I could do at B1 tier and didn’t put much down

Didn’t see it was a $40k car lol.

Yeah, plus I got cash back from California👍🏻

They did try to push back from what I remember. The person was over miles and had wear and tear damage. Too bad I can’t find the exact thread.

Found the thread. Seems like @tlwiz had multiple issues with his US Bank lease, but ending up just selling it to Vroom instead of turning it back in.

2 Likes

In the long run you can win. Issue is your credit will likely take a hit and you’ll prob have endless calls back and forth with the bank and the credit bureaus to have it removed.

Just weigh the risk vs reward. I have no conscience when it comes to big banks, they would do the same to you, except they have the time and resources.

I would at least try in the beginning to get out of it. But would pay or try and settle for 50% before letting it hit my credit.

5 Likes

If the mileage rate is $0, then how can he get dinged by the credit bureaus? $0 charge is no payment due. Now the finance company can state he owes X amount, but unless the contract has some small print that states they can change anything on it, due to errors, they don’t have much to stand on.

1 Like

They can report it to credit. It’s up to you to have it removed. The credit reporting laws are always written in the banks favor.

If they don’t remove it when you have valid proof then you can litigate. But is it worth the time? I’m sure there’s lots of steps before actually being able to sue the credit reporting bureau.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/if-the-credit-reporting-agency-does-not-correct-your-report-what-do.html

1 Like

OP needs to read arbitration addendum also, this sample is what I found on Chevy’s website. It says you agree to binding arbitration or small claims for any disputes.

Contract says “0. n/a” on mileage so I get the “contract is wrong” points (so many non-lawyers playing Lionel Hutz on LH), but a reasonable person leasing knows that IF you go over your miles you owe SOMETHING (if it were unlimited there would be no cap). It’s up to a retired judge to enforce if you dispute the difference.

If you’re paying $600/mo for a Bolt I’m guessing in the face of Chevy’s lawyers (like the other 99%) you’re bringing a knife to the Battle of the Bulge. So while you may be 100% in the right, they can get you other ways as suggested (excess wear and tear charges unrelated to miles, sending the bill to collections and further impairing your non-perfect credit, etc).

Were I you, I would reserve the $$ toward usual mileage overage into a savings account (start paying yourself), play dumb at disposition, and see how small you can make that number if it isn’t 0. If you reserve 0.25/mi and they’ll accept 0.10 - you beat them at your own game.

If you expect to mile this Bolt up with no restraint and owe $0 for the overage, I think you’ll be sorely disappointed.

1 Like

So what amount would he be seeking in the suit?

So when the bill comes for $0.XX * miles over, just call them and they’ll pull up the original contract and waive everything?! :joy::laughing: good luck with that. Don’t pay whatever bill they send you, regardless if it’s right or not and they will ding your credit

If OP gets a bill, it will be for the amount of miles over the agreement times the standard mileage rate. If he refuses to pay it, they might tack on service charges and or send it to collections

I was asking a question, not making a statement. Forum comments are to taken w a grain of salt, since this has not been looked at by a lawyer, it’s just conjecture. He may have a case or not, just depends on the small print of the contract and legal resources ($).

So the bill shows up, and they’ve included a $1500 disposition fee, even though the contract says $300. Should they call them up and reference the original contract or just pay it?

Snowy off ramp :snowman::snowflake::snowman::snowflake:, problem solved

2 Likes

Right. Unless someone was proposing OP would initiate a lawsuit where he was seeking dollar amount, I couldn’t figure out why it was suggested to stay within small claims amount. Without seeking money, OP could proactively pursue a declaratory action (to determine terms of contract), but not sure where OP is located, much less whether his local small claims court entertains declaratory actions.

People don’t have to hire an attorney in any court. It’s just that you usually can’t have an attorney in small claims court. But if the jurisdiction requires the defendant to have an attorney, e.g., a corporation, then they can typically simply remove the case to a higher court that allows attorneys.

Who smacks a hornet’s nest on purpose?

The only issue is turning the lease in over miles and getting a bill for overage.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone saw this but one of the comments on that link states

“My brother had a similar thing happen with Chrysler Financial a few years back, however the contract said 0 cents per mile over. He returned the car 20K over and although the dealer tried (weakly) to get him to cover some of it, he never got a bill.”

2 Likes