Running high on miles, lease contract show's N/A for excess mileage charge?

Hi Hackrs,

I leased a Bolt EV in January, 3yr/15k. I’m using an app to gauge where I’m at with mileage versus where I should be, and am around 7k over (already at 22k about a year in :flushed:).

I wanted to get an idea of what my excess mileage charge would be if I don’t purchase it at lease end, but the contract shows “0.N/A per mile”… does this mean I have unlimited miles? Seems unlikely, but everything I’ve read, even on the GMFinancial site, says to check my lease agreement to determine the excess mileage charge…

You could try that. Worst case scenario you battle it out in court and spend more on a lawyer than the mileage overage.

3 Likes

Wow. I’m surprised that was accepted by GMF.

4 Likes

Just call them ask what it is, good luck trying to weasel out of it. Is it on the contract some where else?

5 Likes

I don’t understand why you would lease a car if you drive that much. I’ve driven 22K miles in 27 months.

2 Likes

Keep the mileage overage to below what the dollar limit is for small claims in your state :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Don’t see it anywhere else on the contract

Didn’t expect to rack up so many. Prior car was a Focus Electric and my average over 5 years was closer to 12k. Had to start commuting more for work this year, and with the much longer range of the Bolt I find myself using it more frequently. Also have a motorcycle, but haven’t been commuting on it much due to weather.

Not really thinking I’ll get out of the excess mileage if I don’t find a good way to curb it, more so just curious why my contract doesn’t state the fee.

2 Likes

If the contract said $.15 a mile, and at lease end, they charged $.25 a mile, would you say he should just pay the extra $.10 and not try to weasel out of it?

5 Likes

My brother had that happen with Chrysler Financial about 15 years ago… the dealer tried to push him to pay the overage (was around 20K over so maybe $2,500?) when they realized they were making no progress, they gave up and he never heard from Chrysler Financial either. A contract is a contract right?

3 Likes

@ChevyPhil - you helped me initially, any thoughts on this? :bowing_man:

No derogatory on his credit? No collections calls? Sounds like he got remarkably lucky.

Brother is in witness protection now.

6 Likes

Yup, nothing.

I think they would have to prove that both parties were aware of the appropriate rate and this was a clerical mistake before they could take any type of action based on the current contract.

For $2k probably not worth their time. If he was 60k over, may have been a different story.

For the OP, I wouldn’t assume you are going to get away with paying nothing and would drive it as you normally would.

1 Like

Well I can say this much, they won’t charge nothing

Nice deal!

IANAL, but I have trouble imagining them being able to enforce a per mileage penalty that is contradictory to the contract that is the only enforceable agreement. Not that they wouldn’t try or that it may cost more to fight than to just pay.

3 Likes

Good luck fighting that, lawyers etc or you don’t want your credit dinged. Last time I checked lawyers were a minimum of $200/hr. I’d just try to get them to go $0.15 mile, I’d call that a win

1 Like

Can you post the rest of the contract with your personal details blocked out?

1 Like

Why would small claims limit matter?