US Bank Lease end idiocy

SO I got a great quote from Vroom to buy my Durango ($25,500) but US Bank will NOT sell it to them since they are a 3rd party dealer. I called and asked what to do, and US Bank said that I can buy it, turn it in, or trade it in. I said I wanted to sell it to the dealer…how is that not trading it in? So stupid.

Unfortunately for me, with tax and “buyout fee” my total comes to $27,355.40. I am over miles, and I now know they are going to be complete dicks about everything so I am sure they will try to hose me on some other stuff just to jack my turn in costs, and I will have no way to fight back. Inspection report said to replace the “pitted” headlights (they are barely damaged at all) and that cost was over $2200!! No f-ing way am I paying for that.

Guess I will have to buy it outright and then try to sell it afterwards. What a pain in the ass.

Plenty of other banks do that. I went through same bs with credit union. Mine though was a bit better as they charge the dealer a market value versus payoff. Still this is not listed in the contract that you cannot sell to a third party dealer. Why does it matter where the payoff check comes from.

Another example of why not to lease from these aholes. I’d gladly pay an extra $20 or $30 a month to avoid them. I would think that a dealer that uses US Bank would be able to help out in this situation, but they likely won’t give you as much as vroom.

3 Likes

Exactly. Money is money. I just don’t want to risk the wear and tear bill they will send to me since I cannot defend against it after the car is gone.

Pitted headlights you may cover under insurance. I assume something happened to them. You can still sell to Vroom and cover the negative equity. Not much choice in this or you can fight it by paying for a different report.

Pitted headlights as an insurance claim :rofl: wouldn’t surprise me if you found yourself uninsurable after you filed that claim…

USBank is despicable when it comes to leases.

Wasn’t there rule in CA that if you trade in 10 days you don’t need to pay sales tax.
Is there similar rule in your state?

1 Like

I do not see any rule like that on my state RMV page (Mass).

I’m curious what other Carvana, Swift, Carmax would offer?
Also, if Vroom gives you that much its probably 30% less than what they would try to sell for.
Would it be hard to do private sale for more than Vroom offered?

Here’s the short of this. They charge absurd MF’s while marking down MSRP heavily, and in some cases well below cost. They do this because they make it up on the financing charges. They want to be the one’s who get to profit on any version of a dealer sell. :-1:

You got me there. Tilted pitted. Just thought some damage but yeah my chrysler 300 is 12 years and doing well. How do you get Pitted headlights in 3 years?

Plastic headlight lenses are going to get pitted from highway driving. I’d have to see close up pics but they’re usually not very difficult to polish out with a high speed hand polisher and mildly abrasive polish.

This is “pitted and needs to be replaced”

I’m so mad. I’m afraid if I do anything, itll be a waste since they wont reinspect it until AFTER I turn it in…which is when I will have no control over it.

Are you serious? Honestly I would take this up in court. That is complete insanity.

Does USB have guidelines regarding what is considered ‘normal’ wear and tear?

Edit here it is. https://www.usbank.com/includes/pdfs/dealer-services/Excessive-Wear-Use-Table.pdf

Nothing about headlights.

Can you contact US Bank as well. Show them proof? That looks fine to me.

I will try. I did call them and they said they wont reinspect, but will reappraisal after turn in. The problem is, then it’s gone and I have no recourse. Report says replace, and cost is $2,084!!! Outrageous.

That’s one of the craziest charges I’ve ever seen.

And you can be 100% sure that they will not replace those headlights even if they charge you for them.

LH should boycott USBank for leasing.

5 Likes

Only thing i can do is pay for another inspection out of pocket or a mechanic opinion about headlights or two or three. Pictures, videos, and once they come after you try to fight them on it.

The guideline pdf conveniently has this disclaimer in fine print at the bottom right: *Please note this chart is NOT all-inclusive. You may be charged for items not represented on this chart

Not looking forward to my turn-in in 6 months.

2 Likes