Running high on miles, lease contract show's N/A for excess mileage charge?

Us old folks call that a “calculator.”

11 Likes

My guess is if it’s within the threshold for small claims, he could file suit and represent himself using his contract as evidence. There’s also a chance the MFG doesn’t even a send a lawyer to his town to argue this case and he would win by default.

1 Like

1 Like

I wouldn’t count on that, this would probably go into 3rd party collection agency who would definitely show up.

I’m sure a 3rd party collection agency is going to have a lot of fun proving a debt that isn’t supported by the contract is real.

Again, this all comes down to how much effort you’re willing to put into things.

1 Like

I’m candidly confused about these posts that it’s going into collections or his credit will get dinged.

The existing contract says 0 cents so they can’t just decide what he should pay. Could they get the contract revised, likely, but I would assume courts would need to be involved to void the current contract.

2 Likes

I meant in usual circumstances. This obviously says $0 and I would definitely take advantage of that error.

1 Like

I would think a 3rd party collections agency would have trouble enforcing a debt when there is a small claims court order in favor of who they’re trying to make the claim against too.

This happened to someone on here recently and they ended up paying the amount that the captive charged, not what’s on the contract. It was just too hard to fight.

4 Likes

Exactly what will happen

1 Like

I can see how for many that could be the case. It’d also depend on how much money is at play.

At bare minimum, I’d dispute the charge with the captive and send the contract as the basis for doing so. That takes no effort and has a non-zero chance of resolving everything. From there, it all depends on how much effort you want to put it.

3 Likes

But was it small claims or did they need to hire an attorney?

It does say “arbitration contract” at the top, so I’m guessing they would negotiate a rate before it went to court

1 Like

Or did they even try to push back?

I know plenty of people that would decide it would be too much effort to fight before even saying anything and just roll over and take it.

Wait you’re paying $600 for a bolt?

5 Likes

Yeah, shopped around and it was the best I could do at B1 tier and didn’t put much down

Didn’t see it was a $40k car lol.

Yeah, plus I got cash back from California👍🏻

They did try to push back from what I remember. The person was over miles and had wear and tear damage. Too bad I can’t find the exact thread.

Found the thread. Seems like @tlwiz had multiple issues with his US Bank lease, but ending up just selling it to Vroom instead of turning it back in.

2 Likes