List of Lenders that Allow for Third-Party Buyouts

Lenders that DO NOT Charge a Different Payoff to Third Parties*

• Chrysler Capital - @Eastcoastguy 6/15/21 (not within 60 days of lease end)
  • Credit Union Leasing of America - @RVguy 6/15/21
  • Jaguar Land Rover Financial (Chase Bank) - @ethanrs 6/15/21
  • Hyundai Motor Finance - @Ericsnow25 9/18/21 (see post 248)
  • Kia Motors Finance - @Chris_Tuner 10/4/21
  • Lexus Financial Services
  • Mazda Capital Services (Chase Bank) - @michael6/15/21
  • Mazda Financial Services
  • Porsche Financial Services - @Rulnick 6/24/21
  • Subaru Motors Finance (Chase) - @manku 6/18/21
  • Tesla Financial - @Dwing047 6/28/21
  • Toyota Financial Services -@dizzledizzle 10/7/2021
2 Likes

Are ā€œnormalā€ dealers (not companies like Carvana, Vroom, Shift, etc) allowed to purchase vehicles with the title that still has the Lessor on it (though of course the lease has been paid off and the Lessor signed off)?

For example, if I pay off my leased Volvo S60 and receive the title in the email that still lists VCFS (signed off to me), are some dealers (used car dealers that arenā€™t franchises of any particular manufacturer) typically open to buying the car with the lessor still on the title? Yes, Iā€™ve seen the CA 10-day threads and understand the resell permit / refund methodsā€¦but selling with just the Lessor title seems nice for lazy people :laughing:

Most dealers will not purchase with a lessor released title.

1 Like

This is what I get on Carvana nowā€¦

Leases can be tricky

We love buying cars from our customers but Hyundai Motor Finance policies prevent Carvana from paying off your current lease, which stops us from purchasing your car. This bums us out too.

You may be able to pay off your lease and then sell us your vehicle. Our Support Center has more information about your options and next steps.

Mycarauction was able to payoff your Kia lease? Did you lease with Kia financial?

Yes, that is correct, which is great! I received confirmation from Kia that the buyout was paid in full. Once that went through, MyCarAuction had a company come pick up the Kia. The last part is waiting for the title to be issued from the DMV, which I will send to MyCarAuction to get the last $1000 of the equity. Very easy process, highly recommended.

Wow, thatā€™s great! Congrats. I got an offer of $26K from Carmax, buy told me that they canā€™t buy it. The dealer that I bought my car from gave me a low ball offer of $22.5K telling me that Carmax canā€™t buy it.

I appreciate the info. I was able to get even higher offer from mycarauction.

Agreed, MyCarAuction was higher than the 5 or 6 places I tried, even ones I knew would have trouble buying a lease. I assume if the moratorium on 3rd party lease buyouts is here to stay, companies like MyCarAuction are going to be in a great position. They take higher risk in paying out the lease in the name of the person on the lease but from what Iā€™ve heard they have been doing extremely well and aim to grow nation wide.

I inputted car information this morning. Appraiser is already at my house. They called Kia and was able to get a payoff (dealer payoff without sales tax). Thanks again for the information.

1 Like

Excellent, glad to hear it! Glad to have them as an option for anyone who is leasing a car that no longer allows 3rd party buyouts. They also purchased a 2016 Civic from a friend of mine offering more than the other car buying places as well, which was very close to what he paid for the car 5 years ago. Crazy.

Tesla no longer allows third party buyouts. @Rodriges 29/10/2021

getting used to international standards :joy:

I have 2020 kia forte gt w 18k miles. Carmax said they donā€™t buy Kia/Hyundai.

There are lots of reports of Kia/Hyundai allowing 3rd party buyouts, however, many dealers will not purchase from them because of how long they take to process titles. Iā€™d call Kia financial to verify their stance and then reach out to other 3rd party dealers that will work with them.

1 Like

I am a Kia Dealer -

We received a notice on Sept 1 from Kia Motor Finance that after that date third party buyouts were no longer allowed. Curious to hear everyoneā€™s experience with this

3 Likes

There definitely seems to be people that have sold to 3rd party dealers since Sept 1

1 Like

Good to know

If Iā€™ve observed anything during all this ā€œno 3rd partyā€ business over the past year, itā€™s that no one, not even the banks themself, know what their actual policy is. Ha!

3 Likes

i just accepted an offer from Carvana on my '21 GX yesterday ($7k in equity after leasing for just 7 months), and submitted to MyCarAuction this morning - just over $2k more than Carvana offered :upside_down_face: i see they are based in the NW, so hopefully being in FL doesnt impact any of it.

this is a pretty interesting process - loophole, really. essentially we can lease any vehicle now and go with MyCarAuction to pay off in the lesseeā€™s name in avoiding the 3rd party moratorium stipulation. weā€™d be limited to this sole company for now, but if thereā€™s oneā€¦thereā€™ll be another down the line.

thanks for this info! good to know since the market is tight and would like to visit Volvo on an XC90 this time around once the GX is gone.

1 Like

so then youā€™d be using that 7k in equity into an xc90 and your payment is still going up from the gx. not sure how that makes sense.