Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

I dunno I’m not sure that was the case here—and it was almost universal state wide as I checked wherever there was inventory.

I think that the psychological aspect of it is that you’ll feel bound to do business with them if they have a credit app. I’m guessing a lot of people don’t know better. It’s a pretty silly practice.

1 Like

Yea it just comes off as grimey.

For some reason, in my experience, GM dealers have been very insistent to request credit apps before talking numbers, compared to other brands.

1 Like

Could just be your market or maybe it is just GM dealers. I was shopping a VW for my wife a few years ago and the dealers south of downtown Chicago wanted credit aps and the ones north of downtown/north suburbs (aka the wealthier area) did not ask for credit apps. We ended up just walking in and buying from our local dealer (I know that is not LH standard protocol, but I knew what my target deal was).

That would be the old school way of thinking. But is also useful because you can see who else has run their credit recently.

I almost never encounter this with GM, outside of that one goofball in Brooklyn. Now CDJR dealers on the other hand…

2 Likes

Anyone who thinks discrimination according to sex, race, etc doesn’t happen at auto dealerships is kidding themselves.

11 Likes

Certain races and ethnicities 100% make salespeople run and hide. I’ve seen it firsthand.

1 Like

What was I trying to say that the excuse of discrimination is ridiculous for not giving quotes through email. I don’t care if it’s in person or on the phone it’s still not ok. People in the service industry get jaded after a while and start judging others way too quick. Just put your best foot forward and don’t worry about anything.

one dealer wanted to run my wife’s credit just to test drive an S4. her first car in high school was a B5 S4. pissed her off enough to get a C43 instead.

Ok, I don’t think I’ll top this today. I’ve used screenshots this time and left the dealer/salesperson details in there … just because I want to. If he responds to my last message, I’ll let y’all know. Obviously, I’m not arguing with him because I want to make a deal. I would not. But I feel the need to call them out on the BS. And I love when they can’t do simple math, which is all the time, such as “hey, you told me $319/mo but this is $285 with $1574 DAS, so it isn’t the same!” SIGH.

4 Likes

Not that it seems to matter here but one thing that popped into my head reading this was the tax discrepancy. Make sure to educate dealers about the fact that this car is not subject to the NJ gas guzzler tax.

2 Likes

I would just reach out the GSM directly. Either the sales rep does not understand what is going on or there is a miscommunication from what is going to/from the desk.

Or you can try a competitor of theirs just down the road. Capital Chevrolet. At capitalchevrolet.com

look up further and see my screenshots from Capital.

OMG! Sorry I missed that. I moved here from Long Island in 1974…only purchased one car locally. Confirms why I usually head to GA. Best of Luck.

1 Like

no need to be sorry. haha.
Long Island is an awful market, in my experience. I don’t blame you for going outside of it.

This reminds me of that Alfa Quad that got posted here a year back or so where the guy held the dealer’s feet to the fire for false advertising and walk away with a hell of a deal. Sometimes one needs to push back and hold them to their word.

2 Likes

I promised I’d add to it if he replied, so here is the rest from this afternoon.

For ref