Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

Sometimes dealers can get funny when you try to ask for a discount that you know is possible, but they might not like do. Post your best ones here from your attempted hacks!

Inspired by this:

Here is one of my best to kick it off, suggesting they only had 6% to work with and that I could only find a deal like what I asked for on a car that was totaled and repaired. (I was asking for 10% on a very well aged X3M):

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 9.28.49 AM

5 Likes

Oh here is one more…" if you want the car at that payment, it will have a story"

I asked them what do they mean by story. They said it may have had a fender bender but restored.

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

I had a dealer that I made an offer on my Palisade tell me the numbers were impossible. I thanked him for his time and moved on… A few days later, he reached back out and I told him I was going the next morning to pick the vehicle up from a dealer that agreed to my offer. Got the usual “well obviously they’re bait and switching you, I’ll pay you $50 if you show me the completed contract” trying to call my bluff. I emailed him a.copy of my completed contract the next day. Oddly, I never did get that $50.

35 Likes

There are brands that have limits for advertised pricing, so it isn’t bizarre that they’d be able to offer bigger discounts than what mazda will allow them to show online.

1 Like

If I was a more spiteful person I would have sent the contract to the “only if it was totaled and repaired guy” that I eventually got on my X3M Comp, hah.

1 Like

I thought so too - but it seems like they did not show all the available discounts on their site.

1 Like

Reason #562 why dealer advertised prices are irrelevant.

1 Like

This is a common response from all dealers across the board, I only have x% margin on this 10% (bmw x5, 530) and anything below is losing thousands and we can’t do that.

So on those vehicles, exactly when does it become a loser deal for them (assuming trunk money doesn’t change from now)

1 Like

I see a lot of salespeople wishing buyers good luck, and you know what? I don’t think they mean that.

32 Likes

In all fairness, I wish them good luck too at a “we don’t negotiate prices” on a 0.5% discounted bmw.

4 Likes

True - it’s a sarcastic way of saying ‘get lost or are you crazy’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting you may have had a binding contract—offer, performance and consideration…should have chased.

1 Like

I liken that to people telling me to “have a blessed day”. It’s usually not what they mean.

3 Likes

The most ridiculous response I received recently was from a dealer while I was trying to get my Gladiator. I sent him an offer that clearly laid out everything I was looking for and in response he told me that he was going to make me a “very aggressive offer due to everything that is going on in the country right now”(Covid, etc). His very aggressive offer was higher than a full MSRP deal somehow. Even worse is when I called him out on it he told me that I wasn’t including the bank fee in my calculations, even though it was clearly in there, just not itemized. Trying to use a pandemic to tell me that your terrible offer is the deal of a lifetime is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve experienced.

17 Likes

…“I am sorry that there is a discrepancy between what you are seeing on a non BMW authorized site. We are all in on this vehicle at the deal quoted. Thanks again for the opportunity to assist you with your next vehicle…”

2 Likes

In affluent areas that system can actually work quite well. The buyer has no sense of what the fair market value price should be nor any interest in spending time finding out. They just want to know they didn’t spend more than the next guy.

2 Likes

1 Day before months end: emphasis on all caps : “GIVE ME A CALL TOMORROW, I’M POSITIVE I CAN BEAT THEIR OFFER, AND MAKE A DEAL BY TOMORROW”

Months End: “I talked to the manager, why are you trying to buy here? And if you can get these numbers we’d like to purchase some for our inventory…” Proceeds to contact me multiple times that day to see if I’d like a reprice, cause some incentives just popped up in the last hours of the month…

17 Likes