Wording Emails for the Deal? [How To Negotiate]

As a dealer, I would immediately delete that.

17 Likes

You will get responses at least 4% of the time to that manifesto.

Edit: and we just had a massive thread about this which I’ve merged this into.

3 Likes

As a non-dealer, I would immediately delete that.

15 Likes

Way too long

2 Likes

Any reason why? I know maybe it’s a bit long, but I wanted to save the dealers time by just being straight-forward with them and including all the information in the intro.

Darn. I put a lot of effort into my post, and now it will get buried in another thread. I also was hoping to get some feedback on my mail merge strategy. I really have tired to take everything I learned from this site and combining it into my strategy.

Greetings, my name is Steve Johnson and I am in the market for a new vehicle. I am ready to pick up a vehicle in the next few days if we can work out a price.

I am looking to lease a demo BMW. I would like a price that is around 22 percent off the MSRP before any incentives are added.

I am specifically interested in VIN X-XX-XXX-X,

Please note that I am located in New York City from Area Code 10021.

I am not interesting in putting any money down other than potential tax, acquisition, and government fees.

Please send me a simplified deal sheet.

Best Regards,

Steve Johnson

I just trimmed 90% of what you wrote yet it says the same thing without intentionally/unintentionally trying to piss them off.

I get you’re looking for a deal but you’d slamming a sales guy w/ a ton of info, on deal he’s going to make a mini on, if that.

12 Likes

You should put as much time if not more into reading threads that have already discussed this topic. Your email makes you sound arrogant, pompous and difficult to deal with.
Keep it simple but direct. Be friendly and nice. Be appreciate of their time and effort.

And how is mail merge going to save any time versus copy and paste and changing the names and stock #?

10 Likes

Just put yourself in the dealer’s place. Would you want to deal with yourself? And after receiving a few emails like this daily and knowing that the same email was sent to 100 other dealers?

1 Like

Ben, thank you for your kind advice. Do you think the 22 percent off MSRP is a fair number for an initial email? I think the goal should be to get about 20 percent off MSRP, but I added the extra 2 percent so I can leave myself some negotiating room. Also @Ursus I know maybe the email is worded a bit strong, but I thought maybe some dealers would appreciate that I explain exactly what my terms are, and don’t waste their time with any non-sense or negotiating back and forth for a month. I will admit that I have autism so sometimes I am not socially aware of things.

1 Like

I’d start by asking for what you want - let them counter and go from there.

I’m certain you’re going to do/have done your own calculations, it’s now about trying to get a deal, or structure that works for you.

2 Likes

This is what I do

Me: Hi I am interested in a loaner xyz x drive. I have been shopping a bit around but I love the color and features of this -stock number- vehicle. I am looking to buy out in cash could you give me a cash price quote?

Dealer: I’ll give you 5% off msrp it’s a good deal but if you finance it will be 20% off

Me: I’d like to stick with cash price for now. Can you do 23% off I’ll come by in 30 minutes with a check.

Dealer: I can’t do that but maybe I can do 15% what’s the best number to reach you I’ll have my GM talk to you.

Result 1:

Me: phone call with GM agrees on 20% off cash price. Schedule meeting with dealer

Me: calls back CA asking for lease quote structured perfectly using leasehackr calculator and all incentives eligible.

Dealer: provides LH worthy lease quote

Me: :+1:

Result 2:

Me: phone call with GM fails to get to where I want. I say thanks for the offer I can’t agree right now but I’ll follow up at month end to see if things change.

Me: follows up 30th of month. Back to result 1

3 Likes

See, I don’t see novice, I see “PITA.” No offense to OP, but it comes off more as a demand letter than an inquiry.

2 Likes

I also wouldn’t mention LH at all in any point of negotiations. Dealers may see this as a person who is unrealistic, and simply press delete.

5 Likes

Curious what folks think about discussing how you’ll take delivery of the car in the email.

I think your response rate will be lower if you are emailing a dealer that is far away if you don’t mention that you’re willing to take the drive, fly in, or will make arrangements for shipping. If I’m a dealer and someone emails me from 400 miles away, I think my odds of actually making the sale are pretty low, regardless of how good of a deal I provide.

Interested in thoughts from @Benedetto and other dealers about this.

1 Like

Wtf? This isn’t very complicated. We have the same goal as the dealer outside of price, to buy/sell a car.

Be straightforward, polite, and direct. If they don’t respond, simply move along as they don’t want to play ball. Could be for a million different reasons (they’re ahead of their quota, they’re a crappy dealer that doesn’t negotiate aggressively, they don’t have a lot of stock of a certain vehicle, etc. etc.), move along to one that will negotiate - for every dealer that won’t, there is a dealer that will.

Very rarely are you going to get what you want on the first go round.

1 Like

Unless they are a local client, I would put a response to this email on the end of my to do list. It is very generic (I expect 10 other dealers got the same email and/or using this quote for negotiating a deal with your local dealer) and would be a PITA if we made a deal.

Also anyone who states they are a serious buyers or make excuses is not a serious buyer.

Basically here is an email template (change it where applicable) that will start a dialogue and elicit a response rather than auto delete:

I am interested in the 3 series (stock #: 12345) that I saw on your website and wanted to check if it is still available since it has the exact color combination/options/features I am looking for. If it is still available, can you please quote a lease for X miles per year and please included taxes/fees (zip code: 010101 and I currently own X brand). You can reach me at xyz@abc.com or 123-456-7890 (if you want to include your phone).

It is simple, shows you are interested in a specific vehicle, and starts a conversation. Let them give you a quote (it will probably be higher than your expect, do not take it personally) and go from there. You might not get a quote 100% of the time, but it is better than a 5 paragraph essay.

A good response to a quote would be:

Thank you for taking the time to prepare a quote for me but from the research I have performed, I am looking for a more aggressive deal. Based upon my research and the current market, I am looking for a monthly payment of X based on discount of X with a residual of X% and a money factor of X. If we can agree to those terms, I take delivery on DAY.

13 Likes

Hi folks!! New to the site and first time posting! I moved to the US this year and after using public transportation and saving money and researching the car I want I am ready to lease. I read all the leasing 101 posts and have the basics down of the info I need. This is truly a new phenomenan for me as there’s no leasing in my part of the world!
I am planning on leasing a MB C300 4matic with AMG line (msrp is 52K).

My question is - how do people get the dealer to come down on the selling price? I read a couple of posts where someone went from msrp of 50K to selling price of 38K and I can only get maybe 1K off the msrp (went in to talk to a dealer and was basically told theu don’t haggle)!

Secondly - should I just email dealerships to send me quotes with msrp/selling price, any incentives, residual value and money factor and any MSD I can do so I can do the appropriate calculations? Or is this something I need to do by going in to the dealerships near me?

Thank you for your input and please go easy - doing my best to accumulate knowledge from your expertise without pissing anyone. I did as much reading as I could before I posted!

Outside of the numbers it’s possible lack of credit history could make this a real challenge.

Just keep your eyes on the credit/visa items as well.

1 Like

You should be able to find all this info you’ve asked about in this thread.

Don’t go into dealerships except to test drive and/or establish rapport.

1 Like