Why arent there many Subaru hackr posts...its seems to be mostly European cars

Hey all, long time reader, however I just officially signed up today. Quick question and forgive me if this question si redundant or even innacurate, but I am in the market to lease 2 cars in July ( 1 BMW and 1 Subaru) and I have noticed alot of Brokers deals and Leasehackr calculator deals with BMW, Volvo, Audi, etc but I havent really seen much on Subarus at all. Do they not lease well from a Leasehckr perspective or am I just not digging deap enough? Im in the Norther NJ area and am not seeing much on Subarus, specifically Outback Onyx deals at all.

Just need some friendly advice

In addition, if I go thru a broker here recommended and want to lease 2 different vehicles,(like above) is there any additional incentive for them?

I first came here looking to get into an Outback. After reaching out to basically all dealers in my state, and reading this forum, I realized inventory was too tight to make anything reasonable happen with Subaru. For example, there was one base trim available in my area. Dealer wanted to lease for over $400 with money down. Wouldn’t budge on MSRP, tripled money factor, and lowered residual value. It didn’t get any better for me. Ended up very happy in a Volvo wagon.

1 Like

There won’t be an additional incentive if you lease a Bmw and a Subaru with the same broker.

That’s not possible. Dealers can’t fudge with the MF.

You’re right. Double checked and RV was right. But MF was tripled.

So, basically, if Im looking for any kind of Subaru 10%-12% off MSRP discounting, its likely just not gonna happen?

Im open to Vovo as well, they seem to have the most flexible lease discounts with the brokers right now if I am not mistaken. You like the Volvo wagon/SUV in comparison to the Subaru Outback/Forester?

In my very limited experience (I’m new here), in the South where AWD isn’t much in demand, there was no negotiating possible on an Outback because they didn’t have many Outbacks on the lot and were trying to squeeze as much profit as they could out of them. Folks here suggest waiting until winter for inventory to recover and deals to come back on more in demand cars. But (perhaps like you) I had two leases maturing this summer. I’d always wanted a Volvo but found them out of my range. They had some nutty incentives in May/June, and I was open to getting a loaner with some miles on it. So I’m really glad, now, that I couldn’t make it work with Subaru. Total cargo volume is smaller on the V60 wagon but everything else is, in my opinion, much nicer. Glad it shook out this way.

My father was originally was looking to finance an outback, best comparison IMO is to a V60CC, as Compra mentioned, smaller cargo, but much more luxurious, sleek design, comfortable, and safer. I managed to get him into one after a little prodding.

Size wise, the Forester is competing with the XC60. I don’t know much about the Subaru lineup though.

Subaru cars are good from what I hear. The issue with leasing them is that the minimal incentives and discount makes them not as financially justifiable as something like a loaner Volvo (where over 12% off before incentives is something extremely common). That requires the question of “Why lease a Subaru when I can get a comparable Volvo for cheaper?” to be asked, since those two companies have a lot of comparable vehicles in their respective classes.

2 Likes

There aren’t many Subaru lease deals here because Subarus typically don’t lease well. You can generally get more for your dollar in other brands.

1 Like

My Subaru lease of $380 with $380 at signing for a 36/10 2019 Touring 3.6 took weeks for me to find. I reached out to a ton of dealers before finding one from a forum.

Would have done a Volvo but already have them and Family member wanted a Subaru. Subaru’s are kind of the new old style XC70s. Volvo’s have become so advanced and luxurious that that don’t fit the same category they once did. No body want to take a new Volvo on the beach or shore and get sand all over it and have wet dogs shake off in them. A Subaru however advertises itself as the all purpose wagon

1 Like

Old XC70 was in a different category than old Outback.
@Ozerillo - V60CC drives better than Outback. I took 3.6 for a test drive last year and couldn’t remember anything good about it 5 minutes later. But it is a great utility vehicle, as is Forester.

I disagree. Having a Volvo with the rubber floor mats, trunk liner, etc., makes it into a car that works for all activities. However, the Volvo gives the owner a more refined driving experience when it is not being used as a beach-mobile.

A badge does not change anything about the car. A basic Intel HP laptop and a basic Intel Acer laptop are both still Intel laptops.

1 Like

Not sure you can say Volvo is safer than a Subaru. Volvo used to be the safest but many are catching up.

There are times of year and during the model cycle where certain Subaru leases are better than other times. For example we got my wife’s Outback 3.6 Limited for 16% on a lease right as the redesigned 2020s were coming out.

That said, they will never be the hackr bargains you see from BMW or Volvo.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I’m saying that the newer outback are more similar to the older P2/P3 XC70s. The V90 is a luxury car, not too cheap to maintain, and not as much useable space as the old XC70. In saying this as someone who has a new outback, a V90 RD, and a XC90 RD.

The Volvo is definitely a nicer car but if it comes to taking a trip to the beach with dogs, cargo, and boards the OB is more useful. The XC90 would be the best except it has the dog cargo divider

That I can agree since I had 2003 XC70 and 3 Foresters from 09-16.
The second part - that’s what I said about Subaru’s utility, in agreement also.

Very true. However, Volvo still has some of the best AEB technology on the market (when it works I know that they just had a recall that required a software update).

Their seat design is top notch, many will attest to their comfort, design, and safety against whiplash. But the safest car is one with a defensive driver behind the wheel.

Couldn’t agree more. Have had over 12 Volvo’s since 1997. Absolutely love them and the newer ones are amazing. I do miss the XC90 V8

My quick take: Subarus are generally well-priced to begin with and consumers see the value in them at their retail price (MSRP). Therefore, many sell without significant discounts.

Volvos, and most luxury brands for that matter, have higher retail prices than what most consumers can afford. The number of people willing to pay MSRP is lower than the number of cars that the manufacturer wishes to sell. Therefore, dealers have to discount the vehicle to move inventory, and that is made possible by incentives and other forms of support from the manufacturer. Porsche, Tesla, and Land Rover are the exceptions – these luxury brands sell at full price all the time.

On a lease, the discount off MSRP arguably makes a bigger difference than on a purchase, because the savings are amortized over a shorter period of time (e.g., 36 months), resulting in bigger savings for each monthly payment. When combined with overly optimistic residual values, this is why you can lease a $60K Volvo that sells for $50K for about the same price as a $40K Subaru that sells for $40K. That’s a win for the consumer – you get to drive a nicer car for the same money – provided you know how to obtain such a deal.

There are exceptions to this. As @28firefighter, Subaru will sometimes discount older, less popular cars towards the end of their life cycle. Those make for great leases if you just want a solid, hassle-free car to drive around for three years and don’t care that it’ll soon be replaced with a newer model.

7 Likes