What Kind of Wine is Everyone Drinking?

Agree, those are great! I try to swing over to that area when I visit so I can drop in at the Orin Swift tasting room, I’m a big fan of Dave’s.

1 Like

Great blends! Best labels!

Amazing prices at Gary’s in Chestnut Hill/West Rox on the VFW

Gary is phenomenal

I’ve actually never seen better prices for liquor and wine anywhere else (literally anywhere)

1 Like

For $8, I like Apothic Red Blend. We were members of a winery in Temecula and get a case a quarter but really the wine sucks so I won’t name them.

I favor whisky, Jameson for value or Glenmorangie 10 year for a treat. (Yeah, there’s a theme here. I don’t blow big :dollar: on booze haha)

For beer, I’m a Stone Delicious fan, but recently been sipping a lot of BJs brews as they are easy to get delivered. Digging their Committed DIPA. Always a place in my heart for Saint Archers IPA. I’d take a Pliny The Elder if only it was available for delivery. We’ve cracked open a couple special Bruery bottles lately, Black Tuesday and Vindictive II.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

:bat:

For sure!

The Pinot man himself, Ken Wright, is a phenomenal guy.

1 Like

Stag’s Leap Napa Valley Cabernet
Daou Paso Robles Cabernet
Stags’ Leap Petite Sirah

My wife and I find these our three faves. The first two are usually in the $50 range and the last one is around $20.

I didn’t know Stag’s Leap and Stags’ Leap were two different wineries for awhile…I like both branda!

2 Likes

Not a big wine drinker at all (I recall once when I went wine tasting, the people next to me were like, “This is so fruit forward!” and I was like, “I just taste alcohol…”), but will try to contribute.

Wines I’ve enjoyed:

Fleur de Mer 2018 rosé
Domaine de la Sangliere 2018 rosé
Conundrum white wine blend (can’t remember the vintage)

The only red I’ve truly enjoyed as a blend at a restaurant of (IIRC) mencia, grenache, and tempranillo. And, the few times I’ve told somms that, they generally look a little sad and then say the don’t have anything that’s going to reproduce that. Not sure what constituted most of the blend b/c I generally don’t like tempranillos on their own (and can’t really do riojas since I think they taste like dirt… And, yes, I know that’s kind of the point). I did enjoy a ribera del duero (The Flower and Bee) but cannot recall the vintage.

1 Like

Look at the :muscle: and :us:

I didn’t realize any NJ Costco had booze. And Edison is so close too. Thanks!

1 Like

Kirkland vodka is 7x distilled…

1 Like

I don’t do hard liquor (literally can’t tolerate it), but, if you like scotch whiskey, my understanding is that Kirkland scotch whiskey is quite respectable.

I usually stick to New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs but I’m gonna keep an eye out for these.

1 Like

Too many Margaritas and Hendrick’s G&T

I just made a Napa trip in January, I’m mostly a California Red kinda guy. This trip I went to Lasseter, Silverado, and Paraduxx.

Most of what I like isn’t too expensive but you can’t get in stores. I love a cabernet, pinot noir, red zyn (old vine zyn is probably my favorite, needs to decant a long time) but I also like these weird reds that are mostly blending grapes. 99% petit verdot or Cabernet Franc or Old Vine Carignane.

The best wine I had this last trip was from the Atlas Peak region of Napa, where it’s cooler and the grapes hang a little longer.

I’m not a white wine guy (maybe a sauv blanc with a piece of fish) but this Rosato from Silverado is great: crisp not sweet, great with crab cakes or bbq.

Little known fact… you can actually get kegs/half kegs of BJs beer from the restaurant as well (at least most of the time). Their prices are very reasonable too. About the same price as you’d pay for a keg of Coors light from your local liquor store. The exception being their ciders as they don’t actually brew them themselves, they’re contract made by Wyder’s.

1 Like

Which is a shame. I love Sangria (my favorite tapas places have multiple reds and whites), and I love Tempranillo. Clos du Bois makes a great spanish style Tempranillo in Sonoma County.

These types of threads everyone is opening are so much better/uplifting than the doom and gloom COVID threads.

7 Likes

Big fan of la crema or block nine Pinot noir around $20. If we feeling a little more fancy Joseph Phelps cabs are our go to.

1 Like

Why waste time with wine? I usually go back and forth between these:

And because I like both of those, I picked up a bottle of this which is fascinating

2 Likes

2 Likes

Is Islay scotch whiskey the really funky stuff? We did the Scotch Whiskey experience in Edinburgh (a kitschy delight), and I think they poured some of that as a sample. Just based on the smell, I couldn’t imagine anyone actually drinking it!

Will have to look for that. Finding Spanish wines at a wine seller isn’t difficult in LA, but we have very little (essentially no) Spanish eateries (to my knowledge). There was a paella pop-up a few yrs ago, but serving didn’t have much socarrat. Hmph.

1 Like