What Kind of Wine is Everyone Drinking?

I’ll take your lead on this. :slight_smile:

Kirkland Signature Prosecco. Can’t beat it at $8 a bottle. Drinks as nicely as LaMarca for essentially half the price. I’m almost out of the case I bought, but I’d rather not go to Costco so my next move is TBD

2 Likes

Instacart!

The closest Costco with liquor is an hour away from me :upside_down_face:. New Jersey has arcane liquor laws that only permit a company to hold two licenses in the state. Costco uses theirs in Edison and Wayne, effectively shutting out those of us in South Jersey.

1 Like

Oh yeah that stuff is great, I read something about how the other vineyards in the area were pissed that someone cheap sold their stuff to Costco.

Colorado had some terrible liquor laws, but every year now they get more laxed. Use to be no Sunday sales, one license per owner, and watered down beer at the grocery store, all gone or sunsetting now

1 Like

Montepulciano de Abruzo is a my favorite italian but I prefer whiskey and rum…

1 Like

I don’t get hangovers from it but if I did - who cares when you can’t go anywhere haha.

1 Like

Hangover + Chasing a 2 year old around the house = Epic Fail

1 Like

Go to drink for us here too since wife loves sparkling wine. Fortunately Virginia’s arcane liquor laws only apply to the hard stuff/happy hour so every Costco has beer and wine. Except now we are out of it and I have no desire to get anywhere near a Costco. So wife and I moved to Broadbent Vinho Verde from Whole Foods. Now every Whole Foods in NoVa is a war zone so that’s a no go. Safeway recently had a big sale on Mumm and Chandon so that is currently in our fridge.

Also Gin for me. My drinking is up about 500% due to boredom and stress. This pandemic sucks.

2 Likes

Oh I forgot about Vinho Verde, it’s just about that time of year. Trader Joe’s has a great one, cheap and cheerful

1 Like

I know we got drinking, and TV…but would a fitness thread be uncalled for? Lol

That also involves drinking, I call it Happy Hour Walk around the neighborhood

4 Likes

Homemade wine…have family that makes homemade vino so I have access to hundreds of bottles anytime ha

1 Like

I 2nd a Barolo, but I also like a nice Amarone, but those are hard to find under $20. The Bottle King near me does run specials, and sells one occasionally for $19.99. I’ll pickup two bottles to keep on the shelf when their on sale.

1 Like

We made wine w/ a friend for a few years who has 2000 liters of stainless tanks, but it’s been 4yrs since we last made. His family owns vineyards in south Italy (Calabria), and he’s been making w/ his family for 30+ years.

We were experimenting w/ diff varieties and getting better each year, but then he started to take Italy trips for the month of Sept w/ his elderly dad, which have ruined our ability to grab grapes in Sept and start crushing in time.

I have two 5-gallon demij-ons and been thinking of buying some juice concentrate to make our own, I may need to revisit this idea soon if someone will ship me pails.

My wife and I top 3 for easy/enjoyable drinking:

Meiomi Pinot Noir
Wild horse Pinot noir
Clos de los siete red blend

All at or under $20 a bottle.

No connoisseur here, but it works😀

I know that one. :arrow_heading_up:

1 Like

Been drinking mostly Napa Sauvignon Blanc by day, ton of great producers for under $20 a bottle Turnbull, Twomey (silver oak) Markham to name a few and mixing up depending on the meals Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet etc… but I tend to drink a little bit more expensive reds…

Livermore Valley makes some good cabs and at more reasonably prices than Napa. Places like Steven Kent and Nottingham Cellars are excellent. Chateau St Michelle or a good Barbera from Alba can be found for well under 20 at our local Safeway.

For a more special occasion bottle we’ll tend to go with a Cab or blend from Napa Valley producers like Hall, AXR (a newcomer with amazing wine), Flora Springs (especially the Trilogy), etc. If you like big classic California cabs I highly recommend them.

3 Likes