What do we think of these new 'small' trucks? - Ford Maverick/ Hyundai Santa Cruz

Ford Maverick details released today, hot on the heels of the Hyundai Santa Cruz. I have to say, even as a non-truck guy, i’m kinda into them. I prefer the Santa Cruz design but honestly a decently spec’d Maverick that does 40mpg for what? $25-30k? has me interested.

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 16.09.15

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36647519/2022-ford-maverick-price/

3 Likes

The Maverick is all-hybrid and starts just under $20k. Same as you, not a truck person but Ford will sell every single one they build.

5 Likes

I am excited for Hyundai to compete in this segment! Small hybrid trucks will rule the suburbs!
The Santa Cruz is on the 2022 Tuscon platform, which also has a Hybrid powertrain offering, so it stands to reason that a Hybrid Santa Cruz is also in the works - although the hybrid will not be the base model and will not be available at launch.

These are cool trucks. Hyundai even managed to make their truck not look like a lunch box. :rofl: For 20ish grand these will be hot sellers.

2 Likes

Yeah i’m wondering what the ‘market adjustment’ will be for these initially? especially in these crazy times.

2 Likes

Can you not order an AWD? That’s stupid…

The santa cruz looks like an suv that wanted to be a truck, the maverick looks like a traditional pickup truck.

In theory they should do well. In practice people who actually buy trucks probably won’t, even if they do everything that they need a truck to do, since they aren’t “real” trucks. See: Ridgeline, Honda.

4 Likes

Yeah I agree that most truck people arent going to be interested, but I think perhaps people who may have considered a Subaru Crosstrek, or a Tucson might be…

People kinda like me. I have absolutely zero user need for a truck. I live in LA. There’s no possible reason for me to get a truck. But I would totally be interested in these if they ever become leasehackr worthy

3 Likes

I think if I wanted one, I would have bought a Subaru Baja. That didn’t do well. Maybe the market taste has changed. We’ll see.

These are all hearse-worthy.

As in they’d make a decent hearse? Or that you’d die if you had to drive one?

1 Like

The former.

But now that you’ve asked

2 Likes

WhErE tHe TaCoMa At?

1 Like

Toyota’s Truck division saves a lot of money by not keeping a designer on staff. Just keep rolling out those old designs that lease well…

9 Likes

They’ll prob lease terribly but if I could I’d love one of these. Not even a truck guy but these are pretty fresh

1 Like

You can on the 2.0L. On the build you have to select 2.0L first then AWD appears as an option.

2 Likes

Why would they need a designer when it just sells?

Exactly. A little competition is good for everyone.

Can’t get reasonably priced coupes or wagons based on small- to mid-sized cars any more but they’ll build lifted El Caminos for some reason…

2 Likes