What do we think of these new 'small' trucks? - Ford Maverick/ Hyundai Santa Cruz

I’m watching Doug Demuro reviewing a preproduction model. What I find hilarious is that he’s geeking out over the “composite materials” (plastic) on the interior that look suspiciously like the Bolt interior that gets crapped on. I get that its a 20k msrp in its base trim but if we’re being honest the Bolt is too if you take away all the incentives. In the XLT or Lariat trims this might not be terrible with the upgraded engine but that Atkinson cycle hybrid is going to be a DOG, especially if your actually using it to haul anything. With that being said I’m all for smaller trucks. I’m just not sure if the customer that this is for actually exists. A city dweller looking for good mileage and something relatively compact can and will just rent a real truck if and when they need it. This thing will look comical next to the F150 on the lot and the lower trim Lightnings could even end up potentially cheaper than these when you add in all the EV incentives available.

1 Like

Respectfully Max: since nobody wanted to buy the Fusion Hybrid sedan, they lifted it and added a bed behind the trunk

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking when I heard Atkinson cycle.

1 Like

TOTALLY stoked for the Mav. I thought the Ranger was a whiff for the same usual reason: cannot easily access stuff in the bed. This trend towards jacking the rear combined with tall bed sides is counterproductive for accessing the bed. Mav will fly off the lot for this reason alone.

On a unibody platform, assembled in Mexico where the last Fusions were built. Since they’re hybrids and not EVs, no incentive in Biden infrastructure plan to build those in the US.

I leased 2 Fords with that Hybrid platform: it’s excellent. It gets great gas mileage if you drive it conservatively, and if you drive it aggressively it has get-up-and-go with 0 delay. They could do a lot worse than to stuff that into a small truck form-factor with a questionable name (if we erase Ford history, great choice).

I can’t wait for the advertising.

1 Like

I’m sorry but what’s the point of a truck with only FWD

If you have to ask…

Work trucks in places where it rarely (if ever) snows, which are usually 2WD for the minuscule gas mileage improvement.

And I even drove in snow with just FWD when I was your age. It’s possible.

Nobody is looking at these for their off-road capabilities.

4 Likes

Nor for towing, anything larger than a small equipment trailer. Compact trucks, even FWD, will be used and abused by tradesmen.

3 Likes

That was my question: you are not supposed to tow anything, ever, using a gas/hybrid drivetrain (ICE and pure EV don’t have this issue). It was very clear in my owners manuals.

I’m curious if they solved for that, or it’s somehow blocked from towing.

1 Like

As of now the gasoline Santa Cruz’s MPG rating is pure dog sh*t and I believe it will hinder the sale. Just for comparison, F150 2.7 Ecoboost RWD manages to pull almost identical MPG and Ecoboost does great I’m real world.
Really, not sure what’s about Hyundai-Kia’s powertrain design, I believe G70/Stinger are pretty bad on MOG as well but they are more sports car oriented so the target audience may not care as much. But for a smaller truck targeted at city dweller and SUV buyers this will hurt.

1 Like

The problem manufacturers face with this segment is that they are dressing them up as trucks and calling them trucks when they are really Utes. I guess they don’t want to brand them as such so it’s just easier to slide them into a small/entry level truck slot in their lineup. I’m curious about Ford’s (and perhaps Hyundai’s) marketing for these. Out of the gate Ford seems to be targeting women, which is an interesting choice. The oversized SUV has reigned supreme as the mom-mobile of choice for a very long time. Is there room for a different option?

2 Likes

The drive quality will be the big separator, imho. Both Mav and Cruz should drive and ride like a car, and if the target is indeed women, they’ll certainly enjoy the predictable experience the uni-bodies offer, as opposed to the upcoming Frontier, Ranger, and Taco. These new trucks are whittling away at the market of those, along with a piece of the meager Ridgeline market, which holds the sole position of a capable truck that doesn’t drive/ride like a truck. Hopefully, Honda feels the pressure and lowers the price of Ridgelines to be in line with the segment, but I won’t hold my breath.

2 Likes

To be fair, the pricing on the Ridgeline is about in line with that of competitors V6 crew cab 4WD well-equipped variants comparable to a Ridgeline.

Obviously excluding the Maverick.

3 Likes

True, and I have to admit the fully decked out GMC Canyon had smooth handing and a plush ride, and was easily as expensive as Ridgeline, and with no wizards behind the curtain (no 4WD/real truck poseur). I’m now curious how Nissan will pull off their Taco upset with the new JV team nipping their heels.

1 Like

Just like the Bronco Sport, this is for college students who don’t think the Wrangler is uniquely “lifestyle” enough for them.

R/notlikeothergirls
R/notlikeotherboys

1 Like

At least so far they really aren’t giving it any pretensions of “lifestyle” capabilities, though I’m sure an FX4 trim at least will be in the works.

A bed attached to a lifted unibody car wasn’t pretension enough?

Does “lifestyle” mean something different where you guys live?

Won’t speak for Santa Cruz (clearly lifestyle) but Mav carries Ford genetics, and I don’t think fleet buyers looking for cheap hybrid payload cares much about lifestyle. Every pest spray jockey and window washer will have a few new Mav’s…mark my words.

4 Likes

:point_up_2:t2::point_up_2:t2:

The wrap companies would be smart to get the vehicle geometry down ASAP

3 Likes