Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

Assume that’s Ontario, Canada because of the HST.

1 Like

https://wolfstreet.com/2022/09/20/new-vehicle-inventory-still-near-record-lows-with-twist-fuel-efficient-cars-vanish-full-size-pickups-pile-up-ram-dodge-jeep-overstocked/

3 Likes

Great article assuming the data is legit.

15k off RAMs when??

Youll pay more than that to register a 4xe in California

3 Likes

Arizona too I believe

1 Like

$1800 to register my $70k X5 in Colorado in the first year of ownership. Even second year registration is still around $1k.

1 Like

i hate the MSRP related reg fees - i love me some flat fees

i was mind blown when i saw iowas 1% of MSRP renewal reg fee regardless of sale price

2 Likes

57 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

When you lease a car what do they consider normal wear and tear? Like a few small scratches fine? Some wear on the seats?

Ford Is Cracking Down On Greedy Dealers Who Markup Vehicles https://www.hotcars.com/ford-cracking-down-greedy-dealers-markup/

This is what journalism has come down to?

No wonder people are not able to get the right information

But…you know RacerX is the older brother of Speed and Spritle. He humiliated himself after crashing the Mach1, and fell out with Mom and Pops Racer.

Lol nope no idea. But doesn’t help his credibility…if that matters anymore

If Ford wants to crack down on this, start yanking allocations (even ones already committed) from dealers who markup.

Not that Ford has much room to talk since they themselves jacked the price up by $8,500 after the Tax Bailiff bill was signed.

3 Likes

Exactly, it’s the pot calling the kettle black. Ford could easily stop the dealers by just cutting off their supply, but instead they’re both perfectly happy getting more $$ for the same product. The price increases on Fords (particularly Mach E) are absolutely insane.

1 Like

I personally think the interpretted optics on this are not totally in line with reality. They jacked the prices up on a bunch of vehicles that do not qualify for the tax credit, so to suggest a causal relationship rather than a correlary one seems misplaced.

1 Like

yea imma need that 15k discounted ram, Im getting tired of fixing my avalanche

Here’s the thing the whole allocations list is BS and here’s why. Imagine they have 100 -200 person wait list and are getting 10 cars a week. So you think it’s a year backlog but out of that 100-200 people 1/2 are flippers who are walking away because dealers aren’t selling at msrp and they are seeing failed flips like the last two rovers that were a bust on cars and bids. The other half are people who ordered last year thinking it’s going to be a similar lease payment somewhere 1-2K a month but are getting sticker shock of their lives at 3K + payments because last year a million dollar mortgage was ~3K a month. So out of that 200 list there’s maybe 10% who can actually afford to pay cash or pay the lease which means the list isn’t a year long but barely a month or two long. Watch what happens end of year new year. You might see sub msrp deals especially on cars loaded with pointless options as people walk away from their orders in mass.

3 Likes

Sub MSRP deals are already here, for luxury brands (Volvo, Germans, Lexus), CJDR, and even some Toyotas (lower highlander gas trims, tacomas). Multiple Toyota brokers have posted that they just got their biggest allocations all year.

A crystal ball would probably guess that the landscape by the end of the year will be significantly different than now

2 Likes

Yeah but the interest rates are wild. 7-8% :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

And if the peanut gallery wasn’t desperately trying to hide the malfeasance and often outright theft going on, our rates should rightfully be in the 15%+ range.

2 Likes