Was This Finally “Peak Insanity” in Used Vehicle Prices? And all other crystal ball questions

They aren’t getting anywhere close to 10 cars a week. And the market adjustment on these is $40k+ over sticker which is consistent with what we saw on cars and bids. YMMV but some might think a 30%+ short term return on a car is pretty wild. Also, I think when it comes to RR, all typical school of thought goes out the window. There will always be people willing to pay a premium to drive one, and with constrained supply, I still think used prices will remain relatively stagnant.

Market adjustment isn’t that high although I’m sure it varies from dealer to dealer and car to car. First Cars and bid Rover went 40 over but next one barely went 15 over. I’ve called around and some smaller mid country dealers are selling at msrp. The point I was making is that the majority of what the big city dealers think are orders will evaporate as most people either can’t afford it or aren’t able to flip because dealers are basically trying to keep the flip profit for themselves since they are pulling out every bs excuse in the book to try to back out of pre orders at msrp.

Problem is that while some of the more rural dealers might have less demand and thus sell at MSRP, they will be unable/unwilling to sell out of their region due to Land Rover policy where they literally get penalized for doing so. Unless you live in one of those areas, they are not considered competition and will have no real impact on your local market.

Idk if it’s true that dealers are reneging on MSRP orders but if they are, it has to be because they think they can still sell at a premium, which would mean supply/demand continues to be lopsided in the seller’s favor.

Time will tell if economic conditions will result in a substantial amount of walk aways that will ultimately create excess supply. At present day and imminent future, I just don’t see it happening.

How come BMW discounts are stuck in the 5-6% range for x3’s while Q5’s are going for like 10-12% off.
I realize they are 2 different companies, but they are the same class vehicle.
Slow mode :face_with_spiral_eyes:

What is BMW’s MF? Even with brokers offering 10+ % off discount on the Q5, with a high MF, the Audi lease is still pricey, IMO.

What do discounts look like on the Q3? That would be a better comparison to the X3.

2 Likes

X3 production is down notably. We got flooded with X5’s instead and as far as I can tell everyone else did as well.

Might be trying to burn off all the supply parts in anticipation of ‘24 LCI.

1 Like

Yes and no. A dealer for one of my own msrp orders from a year ago whipped out 45K premium a few weeks back, now it’s 25K over. Who knows what it will be once my car actually arrives in a week or two. Some other dealer/sales manager friends on the vine are telling me 10-20K right now. That doesn’t mean some aren’t just biting the bullet and paying a bit more for a color or specific optioned car they really like but the general direction is certainly down and fast. This is in prime Los Angeles. Hopefully this info can be of help so people can come down a bit and be patient so we all can have good deals. At least that’s the name of the game on this forum. :blush:

Is it down because the x3 is “too small” for people considering the trend is larger family size suv’s or it’s just down in general?

1 Like

Not sure but I don’t think it’s an accident with the X5 going refresh next year and the new X1 about to start arriving at dealers.

On pure speculation I’d imagine the profit margin is higher for the X5 and this may be BMW trying to achieve a certain financial metric. With the moderately limited supply chain they have at the moment, it may have been the choice to pick one or the other. The FP&A guys ran a few models and they picked one and went with it.

If so, I wish they’d pass some of that on in trunk cash for the X5 or easing up on the residuals a touch.

1 Like

No. They are not in the same class. The Q5 is in the same class as the X5, not the X3.

That’s what the MSDs are for that public in general isn’t aware of and even some dealership don’t know about

1 Like

Really? The X3 is longer than the Q5, so I’d assume they’re in the same 2 row SUV segment, while Q7s and X5s are the smaller third row segment.

8 Likes

X5/6 is in the same class as the Q8. Q5 is same market segment and size as the X3/4. Q3 competes with the X1/2.

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree.

Then where does the Q7 fit in this comparison?

Does it really matter?

I have always thought of Audi picking a higher # for same segment for BMW

3 (bmw) =~ 5 (Audi)
5 =~ 7
7 =~ 8

Etc…

I would slot the q7 roughly between the x5 and the x7 and map the q8 to the x6 personally.

I would agree that a q5 is closer to an x3 than an x5 though.

4 Likes

Q5 is definitely in the same class as the X3.

If you go based on dimensions, Q7 fits in between the X5 and X7. If you go based on MSRP, the Q7 goes up against the X5 (its starting ticket price is less than the X5)

2 Likes

x2 :+1:

FWIW I’ve also never cared for the q5 nor the x3 personally. The x5, however, has been on my list for quite some time.

2 Likes