Used tires-where to?

No no. It’s a risk. Heck even new tires aren’t perfect.

You might have luck locally through Craigslist or through reputable indy tire shops. Still a crapshoot but at least you can reject them on the spot after an inspection versus getting them shipped and discovering they aren’t up to par

I don’t know why someone would buy used tires to drive. I get it for lease return purposes but when you’re going to drive on them for years, get new ones. I personally take the RFT off my car in the beginning, buy a new non-RFT set and when they’re done after 1.5-2 yrs I put the originals back on and drive the rest of the lease on them (usually less than 1 year).

For two reasons:

1. I don’t like how the RFT drive, too stiff
  2. RFT are expensive to replace and you have to return car with them.

I don’t really care that I can drive on them when damaged, if I have a tire problem I call road side assistance.

2 Likes

Bestusedtires.com

Thanks for the recommendations on Bestusedtires.com! BMW wanted $1500 for 4 new tires and installation. Just ordered 4 tires with 70-80% (7-8/32) tread for $294 after coupon code 10APR19. Even if it costs me 100 bucks to get 'em installed, it’s still way cheaper!

Anyone know how long it takes for tires to arrive in California from PA? Also, do you think there’s any concern that I’ll use 3/32 thread in 6 months (Probably about 4,000 miles or so)?

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll use that much tread in that short amount of time. That’s about the timeframe I ordered from them before turning in my 335i and didn’t have any problems. I think they have a shipping zone map on their site that gives the approximate shipping times.

1 Like

It took about 7 days from PA to WA using their ground shipping.

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the info from both of you! Makes me feel better about ordering the tires. Looks like they’re already in the process of being delivered, so that’s awesome! I’ll be very happy if this saves me $1200 :slight_smile:

https://www.utires.com/

Never had a problem with them… Purchased both new and used.

Just double check the tires before installation. Some have reported they’ve been plugged, and poorly so. Bestusedtires was good about making it right though. Most of the time, there’s no issue in what they send…just inspect them before you have them mounted.

3 Likes

I had a great experience with Bestusedtires and agree that their customer service was really pretty good given the low prices. Ended up with a set of 4 Goodyear Eagle Sport RFTs with 9-10/32 each for ~$350 shipped.

I need to replace damage rear tire & looking at a pair of Perelli Run Flat tires for 430i GC at Bestusedtires with 9-10/32 left. I have 10 months left on lease so was wondering if this is sufficient or should I buy new? Saving from buying used around $160 total assuming I can do the installation at costco/samsclub for $15/tire. Does Bestusedtires patch R/F tires? I was told R/F cannot and should not be patched so afraid if i buy used and it was patched then i will run into issue with BMW when returning lease.

That’s practically a new tire.

“Average new tires used on cars typically start with 10/32” to 11/32" of original tread depth."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=197

1 Like

BMW will not know if it was patched, however you probably don’t want to drive on it for 10 months. In any case, bestusedtires were great with the patched issue and refunded me in no time for a non run flat tire.

so you’re saying it’s not a good idea to drive on “repair/patched” tires" for 10 months? Did you get refund from bestusedtires because the patched tires didn’t last or what happen? The CS told me the 90 days warranty does not apply if tires installed and already driven so I’m a little concern with the risk .

I’m saying RFs should not be patched in the first place, so I would not drive on a patched one.
In my case, a regular tire was patched just outside of the safe patching area, so I emailed them the picture (it should be posted somewhere earlier in this thread) and they issued refund. Never installed that tire.

2 Likes

Thanks! People don’t want to read, and I don’t want to search :grin:

It was easy to find with a PC and a scroll wheel on the mouse. Although, I remember it happening initially, so that may have made it easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got it, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I did chat w/CS online and they said they do patch RFs tires as well so if i receive one that’s patched then I can return it if not satisfy but will have to pay restocking fee & shipping to send back unless it’s defective and patch is not good.