Used tires-where to?

This kit (cheaper at walmart or amazon), a pair of needle nose pliers (or screw driver), a utility knife to shave down plug and an air compressor and you can be fixes in 15 min for under $10.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-T-Handle-Tire-Repair-Kit-HDA60000AV/100059332

Too late. Should come tomorrow by Fedex, at least fast shipping. Canā€™t drive around on this tire without spare, really.
I think my screw is in the borderline area:

Checked again and I think that NTB guy just didnā€™t want to do it. Should be repairable.

Do those plugs work on runflats?

Havent tried on run flats. I try to avoid those. I would think if the runflat donut is thin enough, it would work. I havent had a plug fail yet.

Iā€™ve been plugging tires for years. Never had any issues. Iā€™ve plugged a tire in my driveway without even removing the wheel. You do have to have an air compressor or even a bicycle pump.

The one time I didnā€™t have a compressor, I had to put on the spare and drive to a gas station. Plugged the tire in the gas station lot.

It was probably close enough that he didnā€™t want the liability should something happen.

1 Like

Most tire places will refuse to plug a run-flat. Too much liability risk.

The not having to take the tire off the wheel is the best part of plugging the tire. Pull nail out, ream hole, insert plug, trim plug, fill tire with air.

I had 2 run-flat tires repaired at my local Goodyear tire shop, both nails/screws along central tread area. Assuming the tire is repairable, I think itā€™s down to the tire shops policy, i.e. are they actively looking to maximise tire sales at the risk of annoying customers.

Run flat tires seem misleading as an interior shot of one looks like they have some sort of bumper ring on the wheel to keep it from ruining the wheel itself while you drive it somewhere safe. No idea why they wouldnā€™t be pluggable.

So, I got the tire - it was patched and the puncture was actually even closer to the sidewall than on mine. Took it to Costco, the guy looked at mine and the replacement tire and said they would not repair mine but would install the replacement. Then mechanic comes out with my tire and tells me he can fix it, no problem, and that the replacement tire is garbage in much worse condition than my tire and it should be returned. So, Costco fixed it for $15 and I then contacted bestusedtires. Sent them pictures and RMA repair guidelines. Within 30 minutes they issued the full refund and told me to dispose of their tire any way I want.

Yikes - not much of a QA/QC process to make sure theyā€™re selling safe tires.

Yep. But I guess itā€™s expected when they resell discarded tires. A set of 4 or 2 used may be perfectly fine and without repairs when someone just buys new tires. A single tire must be after repairs and if it was discarded, then it was probably oficially unrepairable in the first place. These guys say:

SOME of our tires have been professionally repaired (safe spots only, this means no sidewall repairs).

OK - could use some advice here. Wifeā€™s X1 has Pirelli Cinturato RFTs that are down to 3/32. They are driving like absolute garbage. Almost 22k miles on it with 13k remaining miles allowed on the lease. Goes back January 2020 and Iā€™m expecting 7500-10k miles more before it goes back.

Iā€™m OK with the used tire approach for lease returns, but not super keen on it when she needs to drive on them for the next 12 months.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The OE Pirellis are a fortune (and ride horribly). Iā€™ve seen the Bridgestone DriveGuards but they arenā€™t well regarded either.

I suppose I could just transfer the lease and get a new car - give up some of the MSD on it in return for letting them deal with the tiresā€¦

Why would you not want used tires if she has to drive on them? As long as they have the proper tread, and havenā€™t been abused, Iā€™d never have problems with a tire that wasnā€™t new. You are going to pay a huge premium for new tires or transferring a lease with terrible tires. If you just donā€™t want to deal with tires in general, I guess thatā€™s understandable, but there isnā€™t much too it if you have a reputable source and a good tire store to do the install.

The only source I have is bestusedtires (mentioned here) but Iā€™ve seen a lot of bad stories (including here) about patched or repaired tires. That is generally OK, but my understanding is that patched RFTs are not good.

Locally I havenā€™t seen anything come up.

Have you checked the junkyards around you? Might be able to score some used oem tires on a totaled unit.

You definitely donā€™t want patched run-flats. Iā€™ve had good luck with bestusedtires. I had one with a patch, and they shipped me another tire at their expense. They are pretty easy to work with.

I guess what concerns me is if theyā€™re willing to patch an RFT, what else canā€™t I see?

I donā€™t think you are missing anything. Iā€™m just going with my personal experience with them. Iā€™ve ordered tires from them that were just for lease turn-ins and ones that Iā€™ve driven on for months before the end of the lease. Iā€™ve only had one ā€œbadā€ tire, and they replaced it without a hassle. Your experience might differ, and I completely understand.

1 Like