Used tires-where to?

Does Costco or Sam’s club do tire repairs? Just came back from NTB, The guy said no repair on the screw in the tread. Should I try a different place? The tire has 7/32 on it and I found one exact match on bestusedtires.com, but would rather fix it with 2 month to go before lease end. bestusedtires also does not guarantee anything.

How close to the sidewall? They may not legally be able to repair. Might have to find a local garage to plug it. I ran into this myself once.

I don’t believe so - and even if Costco can, you might have to wait all day for them to get to you.

My wife’s X1 is at 4/32 all around at 21k miles with 12 months to go on the lease. I’m furious. I cannot articulate enough how much I despise RFTs…

21k? I got 16k on a 3er and am at 4/32 already with 12 months to go. You done good!

1 Like

I suspect if I had been driving, they would have expired much faster…

1 Like

My Genesis is at 4/32 fronts and 6/32 backs at 40k miles with 4 months left. Nailed it

Yes, but you may have no infotainment for the next 4 months at the rate that thing is going…

2 Likes

Literally crawling to the finish line :laughing:

1 Like

I guess too close.

Yeah, that won’t fly. Find a local independent garage to plug it.

Nah, just bought one on bestusedtires for $96. Will see if it lasts. Can’t stop thinking that this screw looks like one of mine lol
And Volvo doesn’t have a spare.

That happened to me once. Got a whole 281 miles and about a week out of a tire after signing the papers. Just about the same spot. I was pissed. Figured I’d try a plug and roll the dice. It ended up holding, but in hindsight, it probably wasn’t the smartest decision I’ve ever made considering I drive interstate daily. That said, it saved me a couple hundred bucks on a new tire, considering I would’ve have had to buy new with all 3 still being new.

I may not even drive 1,000 miles in the next 2 months

FYI. Costco will mount and balance for $15 each. I think I paid $30 plus tax for two tires. I paid $70 to mount two tires at the local tire store.

I just got one almost new from bestusedtires. trying to save it to the very end, as one tire abnormal worn on inside probably alignment got knocked out by crumbling roads. have another year left, but the other tires look good, so who knows… maybe I’m lucky, will slap the tire on at the end, not even bother with the alignment

My Infiniti Q50 came with runflats. They lasted about 28000 miles, and I replaced them with cheap tires from bestusedtires.com. They didnt charge me at turn in for not replacing them with runflats. Jut make sure they match. I believe you can have mismatched front and rears but I didn’t take that risk.

Thanks! So they will install a used one if I bring it in?

Buying used tires on lease vehicles is a good choice. I purchased used tires many times. I either call local tire shops, check offerup and ebay. I purchased two RFTs with 90% tread for $100 bucks saving 3X what they cost new. Ebay generally charges free shipping. But if you are looking for common tire sizes then call local shops so you can inspect. For my Lexus I needed two 19’ Bridgestone tires and checked offerup. I found a guy asking $100 for two tires with 90% tread. I talked him down $80 cash and when I inspected them they look brand new. I took the tires to my local tire shop and they installed them for $15.

Mine were used, but they looked new. They had at least 10/32s of tread. Not sure what their policy is if you brought in tires with minimal tread.

They (Costco) gave me a hard time years ago when I only wanted to replace two tires on a 4WD Envoy. They said the tread depth couldn’t be more than a certain difference. The GM dealer had no issues with installing just two tires.

I’m not sure if it’s a Costco per location basis, but last time I asked a Costco in my Sacramento area they refused to touch any tire that wasn’t sold by them.

I haven’t asked any other Costco since, I went to American Tire and they were willing to do it. Small family owned tire shop was willing to mount my tires in the past too, also they tend to sell pairs of really good condition tires with lots of thread left for cheap, never had to buy one yet but for example one of my previous local mom and pop tire shops had 2 tires for $50 + mount fees with over 80% thread left.

It’s good to know if I ever need to, I can use good condition used tires to replace on my lease, and brand doesn’t need to match on all 4.