The Coolest Cars Right Now Are Wagons

Coolest car right now is my 2019 Honda Odyssey manufactured in 05/2019 since I heard some of the early ones had some issues :slight_smile: It’s the only car in the US that can have 2 extended rear facing convertible car seats both in the safest positions away from the doors (center) while allowing easy access to a very spacious third row via magic slide seats, and also allows my 6’1" self to sit as comfortably reclined as I want whether I’m the driver or a passenger, and also costs less than $40k and gets decent gas mileage. Now that’s a run on sentence!

Wait, did I say coolest. I meant most practical. It would be kinda cool if it had an extra 200 horsepower, 360 view camera (really not an option!), and was able to not look like a minivan on the outside.

1 Like

+1. At speed, the elevated ride height doesn’t do much for me, but, at a near standstill, there’s something very “commanding” about sitting up. It’s like stadium seating, except your in the front row. :slight_smile:

I also think that, as we all age, stepping ACROSS into the car (rather than down) is a lot easier…

Why would you ask for additional 200 horsepower for the elephant?
Wagon is not only about space. It’s about driving a car. Not a minivan, not a bus, not a truck.

How about an additional 500 horsepower?

500 works!) So much better than 200

In case someone tracking this thread is in the market.

1 Like

CLA wagon. I dig the yellow.

I find it odd BMW is exiting the market. The wagon market remains niche, but it’s bigger today than it has been in the past decade and growing, it also attracts locals customers with high average transaction prices.

3 Likes

They probably did the cost analysis of federalizing + shipping wagons being built in Germany and decided it would be cheaper / more profitable for them to try to convince people to climb into a X3/X4 instead.

1 Like

Unfortunately BMW and other manufacturers didn’t push wagons as much as crossovers. For the most part, you could lease an X1 for less than a 3 series wagon. Yes, the 3 series was/is a step above the X1, but they could have incentivized them more.

If a wagon is based on essentially the exact same components as the sedan/hatch version (I’m thinking the Golf & Sportwagen / Alltrack) are they required to do separate federal testing for each variant?

I do know that BMW has to federalize all every 3 series variant from the last generation (Sedan, Wagon, GT). I am also under the impression that every engine / transmission combination has to be tested as well.

1 Like

https://www.austrodaimler.com/en/

Looks like a chopped AMG GT rather than a wagon

1 Like

Is that made of Legos?

Those wheels are inspired by the Volvo XC40

2020 XC90 new wheels suck with R just awful. Only Inscription got better - the same as standard on s60 and xc60.
Here is V60 Crosscountry in birch, 57k sticker.

I’m begging my owner for a V90 or V60 “hack” this month.

Not going well

And here are the 2020 xc90 R and Inscription wheels.

They are just now getting stock, so will take a while. And if Volvo learned anything from S90 disaster then they will not bring many V’s here.

1 Like