Tesla Truck - Early April Fools joke?

I’m fascinated by this thing. Ascetics isn’t first class, sure; but specs and price are making me consider one. From one article I read, looks like Musk’s inspiration was from a Lotus Esprit.

1 Like

That’s being awfully kind

Ummmm…I guess If you squint real hard while balancing on one leg and tilting your head to the left at just the right angle, you can maybe see it, but only with your contacts out

One thing that will bug many truck people is the raised sides of the bed. The suspension will help since it’s adjustable but still…

I dunno if it’s built for truck people, TBH. Ford people will stick to F150s, GMCs with their own, and likewise. I think it’s more for more customization: camper mode; tailgating (electric grills anyone?); having extra space when needed; etc. That’s pretty normal in and around SoCal where I live. It’s NOT a truck, truck; but people know that going into it. The front, back, angled views makes this actually not look so bad. It’s that profile view that gets all the knocks.

Kind of like the sails on the Chevy Avalanche.

Rivian has been killing it with their designs that do this stuff.

I agree what exactly is the demographic this truck is targeting?

Billionaires with an obsession for 1980’s futurist movies.

4 Likes

Yeah…but with a pricepoint that STARTS at the highest level of Tesla’s. Rivian is trying to be a truck; Tesla is trying to create a different niche market altogether. I’m not saying I don’t like what Rivian is trying to do, but it’s going to be fighting 2-fronts - is it niche, or is it a truck? Those usually don’t end well.

I have no faith the Teslas actually hitting the price point or delivering everything that they’re listed there, but regardless, Rivian is doing the same thing Tesla did; starting with a high end product to build brand recognition and go from there. I’m sure we’ll see what Rivian is doing trickle down market, either as a Rivian branded product or as a Ford.

I put a deposit on one. Too outrageous to ignore.

It looks like a French crowd control riot truck. Love it.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree with your statement; that might happen. But I’d say the same thing about Rivian too; and especially as being new in the car scene, there is more to worry about with them. I’m more inclined to believe Tesla’s pricepoint. I think there is just enough interest to make this and stay in the niche market.

I feel the same. I always wondered what will happen is some car design pushed my brain over the edge. While i won’t put any deposit since i have no use for any type or brand of truck, i really wish i could rent one for a week.

Has Tesla ever actually hit their initial promised price point at the start? How many features on their cars have they charged people for for what’s coming, delivered vehicles, and then came back and said “just kidding, to get that, you need to pay more”.

Rivian may not have demonstrated they can deliver yet, but they also haven’t demonstrated they can’t.

No…but they never said so. People keep repeating this myth hoping it will come true but in the end it was just delusional fans that hoped the cheap version will come first.
See this Feb 2016 post on IEVs:
https://insideevs.com/news/328039/tesla-model-3-debuts-march-31st-higher-optioned-cars-made-first/

I hope Rivian will make it. For starters, they need to adjust the price down a bit. Their base truck at the same price point as the top trim Tesla is a no go as the Rivian is inferior on pretty much all specs.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-rivian-r1t-compared-data-specs/

1 Like

So what you’re saying is they announced the model 3, said it would start at $35k, and then didn’t offer that price point at the start, there by failing to hit the initial price point? And in the article you used to say that, Elon was quoted talking about other vehicles that they misrepresented the price initially on?

You either can’t read or just wanna bs…
They said from the begging that the “relatively highly optioned versions of the car” will be sold hence the due date was for these versions.

What I’m saying is they have a history of advertising a new vehicle coming out at some super low price and then not delivering that when the car comes out and they have a history of misrepresenting the price altogether.

You understand that’s not the case with Model 3, right?
So what are you talking about? Give me an example…

Well, from the article you posted:
“Musk did note there was some issues/confusion with the wider media on early Model X pricing reports, as initial “Signature Series” models misrepresented the true price.”

1 Like