Tesla Model Y -LR

Reached out to Tesla to see what the numbers were for a model Y. I was surprised the Residual is 67%. MF not so hot, and this is still pretty expensive with no incentives, but a lot better than what I see some posting asking if it’s a good deal or not. 25k roughly for 3 years is not bad with no fuel cost.

1 Like

WDYM, electricity isn’t free, supercharging isn’t in most cases. You still have fuel costs, insurance, etc.

:chocolate_bar:

1 Like

Have you compared the costs to if you purchased it and resold towards the end?

1 Like

There are incentives, in my area (SoCal) i can personally get around 11k in incentives but i would not lease a Tesla, i would buy it.

If you use a referral you get 1k free supercharger miles but that’s really nothing…

I read an article recently stating that Tesla is considering letting people buy the cars instead of having to turn them back at lease end.
You’re paying 25k to rent the car for 3 years, pay 25k more and have it “forever”

1 Like

What a revolutionary thought.

What they’re really saying here is “full automated driving isn’t actually going to be possible in a couple years like we planned on it being, so we don’t actually want all those model 3s back that we were going to use for subscription/ride hire services.”

5 Likes

I’m sure it can be, will a Tesla Y LR bring 34k ish guaranteed resale in 3 years? Not sure. There will be a lot more competition then. A valid point it won’t be 10k off. e.g. when I leased my E class, the residual had the buyout at 39k, when all the 3 year old models were going for high 20s, so that one was a no brainer lease for that and the free money basically with MSDs.

And if the OP has access to free charging somewhere, I’m sure that applies to any EV?

I’ll challenge anyone on here that has been driving for 30+ years and still has a car “forever” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, Tesla’s actually would need an adaptor too. Unless the company provides the Tesla exclusive charging port vs chademo, ccs, etc.

:chocolate_bar:

I had “forever” car once, it was a 48 mo lease.

8 Likes

exactly :wink:

Its a good deal if you think its a good deal.

I don’t know what the used market is for teslas, but doesn’t the battery (range) degrade over time? I feel like that would have to hurt resale value.

That’s assuming you need to sell the vehicle at the lease residual value to break even.

EV batteries will degrade but its far different then say the average iphone cell.

If you have the time there are some indepth studies on this but the simple and dirty method of looking at this is from Tesla themselves:

Tesla now covers all battery capacity degradation in all its vehicles with a limit of 70% capacity for up to 8 years or 100,000 to 150,000 miles depending on the model.

So unless one opts for that special secret Tesla 8 year/150k lease option most should be fine.

They do seem to degrade most rapidly earlier in their lifecycle though. You’ll see more degradation between 0 miles and 30k miles than you will between 30k and 100k.

But are they degrading more then 30% though during any of those time periods?

If Tesla starts to get more competition, Watch for free super charging built in

I hope that happens, but the hope becoming reality seems like quite a ways off unfortunately.

There is no option to buy a Tesla at lease end. You have to return it