Tesla Model Y "Deal"

Put in for a 3yr lease on a Model Y 10k/yr
They adjusted the approved terms into…something.
Guess I’ll be cancelling this order.

Price Details
Model Y
$41,000.00
20’’ Induction Wheels
$2,000.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
$8,990.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$100.00
Car Price
$53,290.00
Financing Details
Monthly Payment
$424.52
Term
36 months
Annual Mileage
10000 mi
Monthly Sales Tax
$0.00
Money Factor
Cost Over 36 Months
$24,700.57
Disposition Fees
$395.00
Additional Charges
Cash Down Payment
$7,993.50
First Monthly Payment
$424.52
Acquisition Fee
$695.00
Online Processing Fee
$9.85
Registration Fee
$85.00
Payments Received
Order Deposit

• $100.00
    Amount Due
    $9,347.37

What was the original approved terms?

Their normal 4500 down with tax(if applicable) title etc.
Either way putting that much down on a lease seems insane. Unless I’m missing something.

1 Like

Maybe they’re expecting more down for your auto/FICO history? Only thing I can think of…

These cars just don’t lease that well.

That or you input a certain monthly you wanted to be at, so to meet that amount the system wants X dollar amount down? That’s my only thought, but these cars are just poor to lease. If you’re really really in love with the vehicle, maybe finance.

I have had friends who put 20k down on their Tesla’s and thought they were being smart… seems to be normal/expected to fork over ton of cash on these vehicles

1 Like

How much do these cars even last usually? If they can last significantly longer than a gas vehicle, then buying one used would just make more sense financially. Seams like the program is set up to take advantage of lessors, no?

What is the breakdown?

:point_up::point_up::point_up: What they said.

Have you ran the numbers if you financed this for 5 or 6 years?

These leases are closed end meaning that you can’t buy it out at the end. Effectively it doesn’t matter how long they last. Given the build quality issues, they should be an arm and a leg out of warranty but that’s my completely uninformed opinion. If you like it, you can finance it under much more reasonable terms than a lease.

1 Like

Paying a premium for tesla vehicles. Not even worth it.
Damn joke. More people driving the car for status symbols than it being electric. People who can afford to pay $750 a month for a model Y “deal” can afford $2.78 a gallon for gas.

6 Likes

As much fun as it would be to do the usual “Tesla build quality is awful” route that so many of us want to say on posts like this… let’s maybe stick to just helping OP out.

As much as that itch is dying to be scratched by myself too.

Try to

Do you qualify for any tax credits/incentives? That would maybe allow financing to make more sense

2 Likes

Totally agree, so you can spend basically the same amount of money on a used one and actually have an asset you can sell again or trade for something else? Didn’t know about the high cost of repair out of warranty though… that’s crazy. How the hell are EVs supposed to launch us into the future if we can’t afford them lol. I agree with what @Traderx said. Status symbol, nothing more.

1 Like

Hey it’s a drivable iPhone, expect to pay a premium!

2 Likes

Lol. Touché

No sales tax in NJ. And I agree with the lot of you. Financing would make more sense with these. However, giving the type of vehicle, I wouldn’t see myself wanting to own this for more than 3-4 years.

1 Like

You could always sell it.

I think the helpful info has already been covered: If you want a model Y, don’t lease it.

5 Likes

What he said lol ^

That monthly is effectively so much higher with 9k down.

You’ll have to decide how much you love a model Y or if you just love the tech. If it’s tech just get a used one or finance one.

Leasing these is like draining blood from a crab

Buy the damn thing, money is so cheap right now.

When I first looked at it…it simply said $4500 down at signing. The site language made it seem like this was total cash down.

Now it says:

Due at signing amount includes your selected downpayment ($4,500), first month’s payment ($419), and acquisition fee ($695).

I don’t know if there were changes or if there was an asterisk previously.

Don’t know about how Tesla does things, but this is fairly standard leasing nomenclature. “Down payment” is cap cost reduction, not money due at sale.

Now, there are lots of dealers that change that up, so one must always verify.

2 Likes

lol ok elon.

2 Likes