Tesla Model Y Calculations -- Need your advice $550~ month

Go with the Y as the Tesla will not be 45% RV in 4 years… come back to this post in 2024 and lets see what happens lol

With interest that low-it’s a no brainer to BUY the Tesla instead of leasing…do you really NEED the Y or just WANT it??? Y not get the 3 SR+ and be capped at $41K instead??? Then in 2-3 years after your payments of $500+/-/mo just sell it and get a Cyber truck or Y then… it’s like leasing it for the appropriate amount that you suggested ($500/mo) even if RV is 50% in 3 years!!!

Cheapest non-totalled or accident history M3 LR w/ RWD I can find on cars.com are 35k. Does Tesla REALLY think the car is worth significantly less than that? Carvana quote is closer to reality, but no way there’s a 15k-20k price disparity between wholesale and retail on these things.

Tesla is so consumer friendly.

1 Like

This is all he said, nothing about drive offs etc.

Cheaper to buy a Model Y and sell when you want, then to lease, because of high resell value.

Currently have a 19 330i xdrive ~379 a month lease - I ordered a Model Y LR Blue and Induction wheels delivery set for 9/26. Carvana is scheduled to pick up the BMW next weekend. I couldn’t pass up the lease pay off offer carvana gave netted me +1k.

About 22 months remaining factoring in property tax for the car its about ~9k if I where to hold onto the lease said and done. Instead I am getting out of it and putting about ~20k down @ 2.37 for 72 months ~ turns out to be $550 a month but I tend on paying it off within 48-60 months.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding my decision.

1 Like

Wait just to clarify:

$20,000 down including down payment, taxes, reg, etc,?

2.37% interest rate on 72mo loan with the monthly payment being $550?

21k and changed just doubled checked

Congrats! That’s awesome, excited for you. Model Y is indeed a hot car, someone like me even considering it huge because I am typically a sedan person. It’s practical, it looks great, and I think it’ll age well.

To those asking about the BMW lease, I have a couple of offers in TX on a 330i for around $370 a month before taxes so it’s doable (also $0 down).

lol yeah but I am a person that prefers black everything… I only wear monochrome too. :smiley:

1 Like

So the consensus on this thread seems to be:

1. Don’t buy performance or LR model 3 given loss on RV higher than SR
  2. No one knows about Model Y but perhaps it will do 40-50% over 4 years (like SR+ M3) – although crossover demand is pretty high across the board so this may help RV. What’s the underlying risk here? Perhaps a loss of 10% more? What’s the most conservative RV estimate on a LR Y over 4 years (loss of 60%?)… delta is 10% at that point. That means it turns out to be closer to $600-$650 a month… perhaps a lease is worth it at that point.

Honestly after driving a Tesla, every other car seems like aAndroid phone and Tesla the iPhone. I hate Android phones. Buy some Tesla stock folks, in 20 years you’ll look back at this thread and doubt yourself.

Brand new? What is the MSRP? What is the pre-incentive discount? How much DAS?

Not new, demos. I don’t have the exact numbers just yet but I talked to few dealers on cars and few agreed to discount further (10-12% off MSRP right away before incentives). One offered a tax credit as well.

I am yet to drive a Tesla. I have always had an Android phone while the wife went from Android to iPhone a few years ago.

The Lucid Air looks technologically advanced and seems to have a better build quality (from the interior photos I have seen online). I am probably going to wait for the release of a mass produced $60k Lucid car (Might probably won’t happen for another 3 to 4 years). Right now, they are going for more than $100k. I am in no rush to go with an electric car as my DD.

It depends on your driving needs, but if you plan on longer drives, LR would be much better. Remember most of the time you charge at 80%, 100% on road trips. Hard to tell if LR or SR holds the value better. Most that have Tesla’s recommend LR model. Plus the range quoted is not the real actual range.

it definitely is a mom car. Think 2x about this if that’s your concern. When it comes to Tesla, a Model S P100D is the only one I’d consider personally…until the CyberTruck comes out. IMO the Model Ys are ugly. The only cool thing are the doors, which you won’t be using since you’ll be in the drivers seat.

1 Like

My wife bought a LR MY and took delivery in June. We absolutely love it. One thing you are going to need to factor in is a protective wrap for the car. Whether a full wrap or partial, it is something you will want. Tesla’s paint is notorious for how easily it chips. She went for a full wrap in Xpel Stealth. It gives it a great satin finish.

You will also find the build quality is not as polished as other makers. Her’s had minor panel gaps and the tail lights are not entirely flush, but it’s much better than the horror stories of deliveries earlier this year. Check Reddit for posts that have a inspection checklist to take with you on delivery.

4 Likes

Are you confusing X and Y? What’s special about Y doors?

They don’t break when you try to open them.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to deviate from OP, but I am in a similar situation thinking of leasing a 3 series or buying a $39,900 Model 3 SR+.

I technically qualify for CVAP ($5000) and CVRP ($2000) + additional ($2500).

Net ~$30,400+tax

Insurance quote on a Model 3 was ~+$300/year
Registration on a Model 3 is probably minimum ~+$100/year
Maintenance is n/a since BMW maintenance is no cost for 3 years/36k miles and Tesla doesn’t really have a maintenance cost either.

Now, is that worth over leasing a 3 series?

I don’t think Tesla participates.