Tesla Model Y Calculations -- Need your advice $550~ month

BMW $375 zero down? Let me know where.

1 Like

OP never said anything about $0 down.

In California though right? Also isn’t that basically $450 a month at the very least?

Yeah I am confused, my insurance company quoted me a very reasonable amount for a Model Y… how is the insurance astronomically high?

It says on Tesla’s site that you can lease a Model Y. Is there a reason I missed in terms of why that wouldn’t be an option too? I’m guessing they “don’t lease well” as folks on this site would put it. But paying $1250 a month to own it and not really knowing what the future holds in any way, shape, or form for electric cars (even a Tesla) would make me pretty hesitant to bet that my $1250 payment is going to net out to $500 four years from now…

Great point, the lease isn’t a great option for a Tesla given the super low interest rates on loans… It’s definitely a risk but I think overall my bet would be that demand continues to be there for electric cars in general and therefore Tesla will be leading the pack 4 years from now.

1 Like

I dont have a car right now btw, this is my first car purchase in 5 years. I had a BMW 330e but I actually hated it (I leased it so I just gave up the lease to someone else). The 330e is arguably one of the crappiest BMW cars ever… such a dumb fucking idea in general. Having to charge for less than 10 miles of avg battery was the biggest fucking pain ever. What a colossally dumb car.

Do you want another sedan or SUV?

I wanted a sedan but after driving the Model Y I loved the design of it… it doesn’t feel like a huge SUV or anything… It’s a subtle crossover which I can put up with given the all of the other benefits…

I’m a single 31 year old dude so I was concerned about model Y being a mommy car and not sporty enough but damn it looks great overall. This is what I would order:

Fair point, thanks for the response. I was just curious to get people’s thoughts on 1) depreciation 2) whether there was a flaw in my thinking around total cost of ownership etc.

Personally I think the Midnight Silver (a nice metallic gray) and the Pearl White look the best on the Model Y. Black would be a distant third. I believe the “Induction” wheels (which I think you feature in your pic) are black rather than gray like the “Uberturbine” wheels on the Performance model so I actually think they look better with the gray and the white exteriors than they look with the black. Can you tell I randomly spec cars out for fun sometimes? :slight_smile:

1 Like

In person it kinda is. I’ve seen a few on the road, only 1 driven by a man - he didn’t look like he ever ate his lunch in highschool. But he can supercharge now.

It’s a Tesla-styled HRV imo

5 Likes

Despite current data on Tesla’s, I would be very skeptical of how much they’ll depreciate in the next 4 years. Tesla started pumping out cars, and all the other auto manufacturers and even a few startups finally are coming to market with competitive products. I would bet that Tesla depreciation will be much higher in the future than what we have seen.

1 Like

Personal story - got a Model 3 in 2018 for $64k LR RWD with premium interiors and autopilot (no FSD). Has 12,000 miles. Current Tesla trade in estimate $18,000. Current caravana estimate $28,000

6 Likes

Crazy. A friend of mine also has a 2018 Model 3 LR with AP and 12,000 miles, but Carvana offered him $40K. His is the Dual Motor and not RWD, though.

Wonder if it’s a regional difference. Where are you located? Has yours been in a collision?

2 Likes

Regional difference for sure; in in CA where they are chock a block - my father in law in the Midwest sold his to Carvana for $2k less than what he paid Tesla in 2019.

1 Like

Weird. My friend who got a $40K offer from Carvana is in CA too. Maybe Dual Motor makes a huge difference.

2 Likes

Where are you getting a 3er these days in TX for $375/mo all-in? Because if you know someone giving away cars, I’m paying referrals.

1 Like

Base models (SR/+) on Model 3 are doing best on RV on the open market right now. Dual Motor and Performance are in the toilet comparatively.