Tesla Model 3 News

The reveal is a few days away, so all questions will be answered. 4 more days and either we have the greatest car of all time or the greatest flop of all time.

I think it will be neither. It’s not poised to be the iPhone of cars nor is it poised to be the Chevy Bolt of electrics…

It will fall somewhere in-between for the average consumer. As people start replacing their cheap leases in 2-3 years from Chevy, GM, BMW, etc. they may jump ship to Tesla.

At least Tesla doesn’t have ridiculous pension plans they’re still paying for and crazy work-stopping bargaining strikes in their history…

Is the BOLT the quickest GM model to go from launch to fail or does that still belong to Pontiac Aztek?

I had the opportunity to reserve one last year but passed because of the inconsistent finishes on the Model S… it being a $70k+ car, I was afraid of what a $35k car from Tesla would look like.

Since I’ve seen other entry-level EVs at or higher MSRPs and what you get (or don’t get)… plus Elon explaining one cost-saving measure is lack of options meaning you get what you get and not necessarily using ultra-cheap methods… maybe it won’t be as bad as I thought it would be.

I think the car will be a hit as long as they can keep the production velocity they’ve projected… right now it’s estimating mid-2018 (or later)… if they can hit that 1 year mark for newly reserved, I think they’ll do well (by Tesla standards).

Walter White would disagree. :slight_smile:

The Bolt can do 300+ miles under the right circumstances. Mine indicated 355 miles maximum range when I left LA for SD last week. I arrived in SD with about 65% battery and that was doing 75 on I5 with the AC on. I could have easily made it back to LA without recharging but since I drove around SD for 2 days, had to recharge a bit in SD and then again in Irvine on the trip home.

Quote from Jalopnik …
Ever since Breaking Bad began I’ve admired how they’ve brilliantly used the wardrobes, sets and vehicles to underscore and inform the characters. Especially Walt’s Aztek. it perfectly sums up his lack of taste and sad existence.

I think the Bolt could be the next car that sums up lack of taste and sad existence :slight_smile:

IMO that’s overly harsh on the Bolt. I agree it’s not competitive vs the Model 3 and overpriced as a small FWD hatch, but it still seems like a decent car overall.

If Chevy’s product marketing people would let them make an electric AWD crossover that looks like their gas cars I bet they’d have a hit. You know, like BMW and Volvo are doing. Maybe GM will still beat the Model Y to market… The rumor is the Volt may be replaced with something like the CrossVolt concept, which makes FAR more sense given market demand.

It’s iPhone folks talking about anything but :slight_smile:

Lease hacking on model S coming soon

According to UBS

UBS expects wider loss for Tesla; thinks Model S and X demand is slackening

But Langan said demand for the S and X models is slowing, given roughly flat production since the fourth quarter of 2016, the offering of the lower-priced 60D versions, the age of the Model S and rising inventory.

I agreed, but I would say that immediately (or within 6 months) after the release of the Model 3, Tesla will revamp the Model S and Model X with either a refresh of the exterior or interior or better batteries. This will ensure the difference between the low and high end models.

I’m just curious of what would happen to all the old Model S and Model X with 60kwh batteries (all used of course), they will have to cost less than a new Model 3 because they have less battery capacity and older. The cheapest used one is around $42,500 (according to www.ev-cpo.com). Will it drop into the low $30k range? Model 3 does start at $35k.

I agree that there is nothing inherently wrong with the Chevy Bolt. We’ll see on Friday, but I think the Bolt will be a hard sell when compared to the Model 3. From what they’ve announced so far, the Model 3 will have everything the Bolt has, but much much more for the same price. The only thing that I can imagine will get someone to pick the Bolt over the model 3 is the fact that the Model 3 won’t even be available until the end of 2018 at the earliest for non-reservation holders.

Try getting an insurance quote for a Bolt and then a Tesla and get back to me about them costing the same.

Also, there is no way on earth that even a moderately optioned 3 costs the same as a fully loaded Bolt after discounts etc.

1 Like

You may be right, but at this point we have very little data to go by, but from articles I’ve read, the Model 3 is already receiving reasonable quotes for insurance.

As for options… again, we don’t have much to go by, but if what Elon Musk has claimed so far is true, then it seems a base model $35k Model 3 (before tax incentives) should be on par feature-wise and luxury-wise with a BMW 3-series. If that turns out to be true then a fully loaded bolt won’t even compare to a Model 3. The retail price for the Bolt is actually surprisingly higher than the Model 3, but obviously this is leasehackr, so we know the Bolt is going for considerably less now.

The 3 series comes with basically no options at all in base spec. I think that is a pretty easy hurdle for him to overcome. I am not knocking the 3 at all, but my guess is it will be $200+ a month more to lease than a Bolt. I would even say that a top of the line Bolt and a bottom of the line 3 would be still $200+ apart to lease. I would also guess that it would cost and extra 50% to insure. I don’t really think they are a good comparison. I actually don’t think there is a good comparison right now.

2 Likes

2 more days before the reveal/launch party and 1 more month before we see production volumes …

No, I mean I think the Model 3 is a far higher end car than the bolt and that comparing the two is like comparing a Honda with a BMW just because they both have petrol engines, and if the wind is blowing in the right direction you can make thier prices somehow similar. That is why I don’t think they are a good comparison.

1 Like

That we can definitely agree on. :slight_smile: Since I’m purchasing, I’m really just comparing sale prices, but I definitely get what you mean. Can’t wait for the launch on Friday!

Only just over 5 hrs left! Here is it being cold weather tested! Amped!

Can’t wait for the hours to go by! Can’t wait to test drive one! Can’t wait to see what options will be there! Can’t wait to see how much it will cost!! Can’t wait until my number is up!
Why is there lots of wait lol???