Tesla Model 3 News

The fact that the bolt and model 3 get compared EVER only shows the crappy EV options.

Looks like Tesla will indeed hit its delivery launch deadline of July ā€¦28th.
I was thinking the 31st would have been more appropriate :grin:

haha, yea thatā€™s kinda disappointing, but at least we finally have a date! The first production Model 3s are scheduled to roll off the line on Friday. That was earlier than I had anticipated!

The reason is because of the range. Tesla model 3 also appeals to people that perceive a car as a status symbol. Accessible status always sells.
Their sales will plummet once other luxury car manufacturers make EVs with the same range and Tesla no longer qualifies for the $7500 federal tax rebate. Teslaā€™s only hope of long-term survival is in their gigafactory and itā€™s ability to make their cars more affordable.

I agree that Teslaā€™s main selling point right now is that they make a nice car with a solid range. Iā€™m not sure how much of a status symbol it is, but I guess it would be comparable to driving any other car in the $80-150k range.

I canā€™t speak for everyone, but I think the majority of people that bought the model S/X didnā€™t do so to qualify for the $7500. As for the Model 3, itā€™ll be a nice perk, but Iā€™m definitely not counting on it.

To stay relevant, Tesla just needs to continue improving their electric range, keep expanding their supercharger network (and hopefully increasing the speed of the chargers), keep designing kick ass looking cars and most importantly, and get level 4/5 autonomous driving perfected. I also think the Model Y will significantly increase their possible customer base.

Itā€™ll also be interesting to see if they come up with a ride sharing service (like uber/lyft) as people are predicting.

Iā€™ll just point out that exactly what I said several months ago is correct, now per Elon musk himself.

Thatā€™s the most garbage article Iā€™ve seen in a VERY long time. Thereā€™s absolutely nothing in that article that indicates there are factory problems associated with production of Model 3. Tesla had some 100kwh battery production issues which theyā€™ve already fixed and anyone thatā€™s been following Model 3 news knows that 100kwh batteries are NOT going to be option in the Model 3. Since Musk announced that production on the Model 3 is starting this week, LA Times decided they needed to get some garbage sensationalist article out ASAP. I donā€™t doubt that Model 3 production will hit some bumps along the way (as any completely new, first gen car), but so far Tesla is actually weeks ahead of schedule so thatā€™s not a bad start.

Go read the article headline again. Slowly. Then think about it.

Then read Musks Twitter post. Then go back to the production timeline and volume I said earlier in the thread. Do it slowly so you get it right.

I get what it ā€œcouldā€ be interpreted asā€¦ you donā€™t have to be a jerk about it. Iā€™m just saying anyone reading the headline will likely interpret it as factory problems for the Model 3. If they werenā€™t trying to mislead people, theyā€™d just say ā€œTesla battery factory had some manufacturing issuesā€.

It doesnt take a genius to predict that the model 3 will have delays.
I will make a bold prediction too. Tesla does not make it to 1m cars by 2020 as they claim.
I also predict that once every other car company copies Tesla, Tesla will _______ out of _________.

Model S is a kick ass looking car. Model X is like a BMW X6 which is a niche body style and a matter of (limited) taste.

LoL. I agree on both of your points.

The other manufacturers need these to compete with Tesla:

1. Supercharger network
  2. OTA updates for MAIN DRIVE FUNCTIONALITY that makes your car better over time (not just super lame media player shit)
  3. Direct sales model OR dealers interested in selling EVs

1 doesnā€™t appear to even be on the horizon at this point and 2 & 3 are crippled in the US because of craptastic third party dealers that arenā€™t interested in EVs because they donā€™t generate those sweet, sweet service bills.

I donā€™t think Tesla is in trouble anytime soon given the absolutely glacial pace the other manufacturers have taken to make any attempt at these 3 areas.

I agree with you on #1. Thatā€™s going to be a HUGE win for Tesla, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if other car companies either make a deal with Tesla or all work together to make super charging stations as common as gas stations. As ranges go up 400+ miles charging networks will get less needed.

2: updates will no doubt be standard once all car companies are forced to go autonomous.

1. Iā€™m all for direct sales (I hate dealers), but if the only cars you have to push are EV then thatā€™s what theyā€™ll push.

The first production model 3 rolled off the line!!! No interior pictures yet, but hopefully thatā€™ll come soon! Iā€™m pretty excited about it. :slight_smile:

what kind of metal is the body? can i put a magnetic grill decal on the front?

Had you been there, would you have put fur and a tail on your first Model-T? :joy:

i would sacrifice some frunk space for a cleaner front style. the hood could have swept down more like a 911. then, no one would say a word about it.

I think itā€™s just steel, so that would probably work.

I know a lot of people have complained about the front style, but I personally really like it. I actually liked the original design a little better, but I donā€™t have a problem with this new one.

1 Like

yeah you can truly see the 50k price difference lol