Tesla Model 3 News

Yes! Why no one thinks that a nicely optioned will be in the mid-40K at least? Same as talking about 3-series starting in low the 30K

ouch. The first ones are all gonna be upwards of $49k :frowning:

But I bet it still costs the same as a Bolt to lease and insure :wink: (I am only kidding)

1 Like

Itā€™s significantly cheaper than the 310 mile version of the Boltā€¦ o wait there isnā€™t one. :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but I bet you could lease two Bolts for the price of even the cheapest 3. (FYI if a gun was put to my head and I had to pick one I would take the Tesla everyday. Not knocking it at all, Elon is a hero of mine.) But I will continue to buy massive V8ā€™s until they are extinct because I just love the sound they make.

haha. Whatever works for you :slight_smile: Iā€™m by no means a ā€œgreen energyā€ fanatic, so I have absolutely no issue with people buying gas guzzlers. Iā€™m just excited about driving a fun awesome looking car and not having to stop at a gas station ever again. Also like the idea of having a totally quiet car and potentially fully autonomous in the future. The cheap leasehackr side of me is going to have a really hard time shelling out almost $50k (before tax incentives) for a car though. I donā€™t even want to look at what my car payment will be if I follow through with the purchase. :frowning:

1 Like

Ha-ha. I got crystal balls, apparently. Still canā€™t wait to get yours for $50k? :slight_smile:

And the 310 mile range is the magic number rather than 230 range of the bolt because???
Your one way commute is 150 miles?
You like taking long trips daily to the wilderness?
You want to drive across the usa with only ten stops recharging as opposed to 15?

There will alway be a category of people who say dang it I need an electric that drives 350 400 450 500 before I consider one.

Ps if you thought you were getting a cheap Tesla think again. Tesla and cheap donā€™t go together :wink:

2 Likes

Donā€™t you hate everything being so often? The good news is that the 400k waiting list will shrink by 100k when they find out they need to shell out 50k!!!

1 Like

Wasnā€™t it obvious from the beginning that a $35k Tesla was a trivial sales gimmick, just like any other carā€™s ā€œstartingā€ price?
P.S. I think the list will drop by 50%.

1 Like

While I agree the fully-loaded $50k version might be a stretch for some (if not most on the waiting list)ā€¦ the one thing Iā€™d like to point out is the ā€œpremium upgradeā€ list is for interior upgrades (feel, touch, look, etc).

The core range and technology offerings are the same for the two versions of the 3. If you want the longer range, you move up to that version. At a time when car companies are charging upwards of $5-7k for ā€œconvenienceā€ or ā€œsafetyā€ packageā€¦ itā€™s refreshing to see it be included on all models as standard.

Iā€™ll be waiting more news on the standard interior finishes to see if itā€™s worth all the upgrades. Cabin materials, seats, and glass roof are probably worth the upgradeā€¦ the rest, probably not.

Any ideas on how the leasing numbers look like?

hopefully they put something in the front this yearā€¦

Do you really think that people who have already waited 16 months canā€™t handle waiting an extra 3 months (going from what Telsa predicts on their site) if they donā€™t want to pay an extra $9k for the long range version?

Because I donā€™t.

Sure everyone wanting the ā€œstandardā€ version will complain but at the end of the day there wonā€™t be any meaningful competition appearing in those 3 months anyway. Iā€™d gladly give up a measly 18 miles (city, not hwy where Bolt is penalized by its height and shape) to save $2500 over a base Bolt.

Now I recognize in reality with dealer discounts and such the Bolt is still likely to be less expensive. But it is far less of a car so it should be less expensive.

1 Like

ya. I was thinking the same thing. I was disappointed that itā€™ll be a $50k car with the features I want, but that doesnā€™t make the $35k version any less impressive and obviously way better looking than the Bolt. Like Iā€™ve said before, the comparison with the Bolt is still pretty pointless. No one compares a Chevy Cruze with a BMW 3-series, so why are we even putting a Bolt in the same category as a Model 3? The only comparison is that theyā€™re both long range electric cars with a similar MSRP.

they doā€¦ they say ā€˜iā€™m not paying for bmw repairsā€™ and buy a cruze. aesthetically the tesla looks betterā€¦ anyone can agree. range/weight/safety/ cost to add pkgs etc is the comparison because thereā€™s only two on the market.
just like comparing cummins to duramax, theyā€™re both diesels, both tow, etc, but just different features/look/weight/etc etc.

againā€¦ hope they just add some safety stuffs this time around because this article and picture has never left my mind.

Posting FUD isnā€™t very helpful for anyone. I could post a dozen Model S accidents where the occupants walked away but what would that prove?

If a Tahoe took out a full size Model S it would surely flatten either a Bolt or a Cruze considering the excellent and well-known third party safety ratings on the Model S.

On the topic of safety, only the Bolt Premier trim with an optional package has low-speed automatic emergency braking.

Model 3 has any-speed emergency braking and collision avoidance (I think this includes steering?) on the base model for $2.5k less than Bolt.

1 Like

not saying that. i donā€™t even own a chevy so iā€™m not vouching for bolt safety over tesla. im just saying you canā€™t deny in any smaller or lightweight electric long range vehicle they have to save weight. i donā€™t know where you live but socal is crash-centralā€¦

This still doesnā€™t make sense as a Model S is neither small nor lightweight at 4650 lbs. And Model 3 is 3500-3800 lbs which is about average for the class.

I think we can all agree that massive SUVs cause massive damage in accidents but itā€™s not relevant to this conversation.

1 Like

If you wait for a few months, you will get a car for 35 k that is black, has no heated seats, leather armrests or cruise control. If that is the car you knew you were getting and you want, then great!

The world was watching to see if Musk could deliver an entry luxury EV for everyone for 35k, to see if he could spin the magic of the gigafactory into amazing Kwh per $ and he flubbed since he is charging 9k for 90 mile range extra. Apparently the BOlt delivers 230 miles for a 10k battery pack.

The model 3 is still a nice but it is evolutionary, not revolutionary and the sales tactic are the same as lease for 99 * (only 1 model at this price)

In 6 months, Musk will say there was no demand for the base model and drop it altogether :slight_smile:

3 Likes