Tesla Model 3 News

No biggie, will be updated OTA.

4 Likes

100 years of putting together mostly crap. Now the build quality on the Tesla is worse, but at least they engineer better cars for the most part.

My 4 year old complained about the Cruze we had because the AC was so bad. The car would get unbearably hot in the backseat due to the poor design of the car and AC

1 Like
2 Likes

Why tout the autopilot when it’s effectively vaporware that people paid upfront for?

Model 3 doesn’t come with lidar even with the $5k AP option. Tesla is still hoping to hack together a ghetto solution using cameras and parking sensors when every other company including Google uses lidar.

So you compare a $57k car to a $15k 0 down drive home for $49/month ultra economy subcompact and conclude because the AC is bad in the latter all GM vehicles must be crap?:thinking:

You know GM supercruise is the best available self driving system on the market right now right?

1 Like

People seem to be very confused about what Enhanced autopilot actually is. That’s not the same as “full self driving”. Enhanced autopilot includes a combination of adaptive cruise control, and autosteer. It also has automatic lane changing and auto park (both perpendicular and parallel). Full self driving is plan for the future but has not been completed. Musk is betting that LIDAR won’t be needed and with the use of enough AI and cameras, it’ll be possible. Anyone that makes a claim either way about the technology necessary regarding self driving is just guessing.

And yes it’s true that Autopilot 2 was less advanced than Autopilot 1, but most reports are now saying that Autopilot 2 has caught up, if not surpassed Autopilot 1 in almost every way. Also autopilot 2 is continuing to be updated and improve while autopilot 1 is not.

1 Like

Shouldn’t really flaunt LIDAR as no current car on the market uses it. Yes, it’s being used in development, and sure it may be the right way to go moving forward, but we don’t know what it will cost us in the near future.

2 Likes

All of them are developing using lidar and I believe the Cadillac uses lidar maps. Tesla is the only company to try without and given how slow progress has been it’s almost certainly wrong.

@ng0 people paid $8k for EAP over a year ago and it still hasn’t been delivered and with no prospect of it being delivered on the near horizon. Why do you think a bunch of Tesla fans sued Tesla?

AP2.5 is still worse than AP1 which was designed by mobileye in 2015.

Again, lots of bad/outdated/opinion information. I’m not going to debate you on the merits of LIDAR vs cameras/sensors, because at this point, no one really knows.

As far as “people paid $8k for EAP over a year ago and it still hasn’t been delivered and with no prospect of it being delivered on the near horizon.”. Sorry, wrong. People paid $5k for EAP (which is functional and useful by most accounts). Some people (probably very few) paid an additional $3k in the hope that some day full self driving capability will be unlocked on their car. Tesla has to this day given no timeline or expectation on when this will be available, but Tesla has promised that all Teslas delivered right now will have the capability for full self driving in the future. Those that chose to pay the additional $3k have generally been very well aware of the lack of timeline and many pay the money in hopes of funding the technology and getting it sooner. I personally don’t trust that this technology will come out in the next few years, so there’s no way I’d invest $3k into it.

“Why do you think a bunch of Tesla fans sued Tesla?” … Why does anyone sue companies for pointless reasons? Ever heard of the terms frivolous lawsuits?

And as for your link to reddit, that was 2 months ago, and like I said, it’s been proven time and time again that AP1 (mobileeye technology) was better than AP2+. In the last few weeks there have been reports that AP2 may have reached parity with AP1 and possibly even surpassed it. Accounts are all just hearsay at this point, and I’d be curious to hear if Tesla believes that parity has been reached.

I know not everyone keeps up with Tesla news as much as I do, so I hope that helps!

1 Like

I wouldn’t hold stock in Tesla’s promises at this point. They promised to be making 5k model 3s a week at the end of 2017 too.

Estimate does not equal promise. Disappointing, but not surprising at all.

You don’t have to believe it, look at the resale value on most gm vehicles and see where they rank. They are better than Chrysler product I guess. Cadillac elr worked out great too.

Something weird must have happened, I made it to work with Tesla’s vapor ware today. It took me 15 miles in bumper to bumper traffic, I didn’t hit anyone or anything. Somehow it drove itself to the off ramp when I took over

2 Likes

You can’t compare a Cadillac and a Tesla regarding resale value. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

1 Like

So the Jeep Wrangler is the best vehicle in the world because it has 74% residual at 36 months?:rofl:

Wait that’s a Chrysler product, didn’t you just say Chryslers are the absolute worst and have terrible residuals? It’s almost as if residual value is affected by things like hype and the Tesla repurchase guarantee.:thinking:

So in other words it wasn’t the level 5 full autonomy Elon Musk promised would be delivered a year ago that people paid $8k for.

Ha seeking alpha, I think they have been trying to write tesla off for years. Apparently it hasn’t worked yet

One out of 20, awesome batting average. They still making the viper???

You can pay less and get lesser level, works for me. You can do the same if you want. It’s no different than buying options on any car.

As I said, some of the posters here are beginning to sound like Grand Pa - knows it all, nothing to learn from anybody else.

Sears also has 100 years of experience retailing - so I guess you always shop there too…

Don’t backpedal now. Do you or do you not agree that the Jeep Wrangler is the best vehicle in the world by your own criteria of higher residuals = better car?

The most recent AP 2.5 is worse than equivalent implementation from GM, wanna try again?

Cadillac/GMs mistake was taking a Volt, slapping a Cadillac badge on it and charging $40,000 more for essentially the same car. It was this decade’s Cimarron.

1 Like

Deflect all you want. Doesn’t change the fact that Tesla’s build quality is substantially worse than any of the other major automakers. Only a TSLA fanboi would deny that.

3 Likes

Again, a 3 month old article and updates in the last few weeks have made autopilot considerably better by most reports. The cadillac super cruise may be better in some ways, but it only works in certain premapped areas of the freeway.

1 Like