Tesla Model 3 News

Better look over your 3 with a microscope @ng0
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/tesla-manufacturing-high-volume-of-flawed-parts-employees.html

itā€™s things like this that really make me scratch my head as to why someone would want to be a guinea pig for a 50k car rollout from a tech company. To each their own, I guess.

yea, I definitely will be! I feel like one of these articles comes out at least once a week about an elusive ā€œtesla employeeā€ reporting manufacturing problems. There are some people on the Tesla forums and that I know in real life that have Model 3s that have had minor defects that Tesla immediately corrected, but the vast majority donā€™t seem to be having issues and seem really happy with the car.

Every time a manufacturer comes out with a new line of cars, thereā€™s always a risk that there will be issues, but unlike most mainstream car companies, I feel a lot more confident that Tesla will fix the problems.

1 Like

iā€™ve seen a few model 3ā€™s on the road so far here in oc. only thing thus far is the headlights look dumb and either the car is tiny or the man i saw driving it was 6ā€™8" because it looked comparable to a miata on the road after seeing the boaty Model S and X.

iā€™m still waiting for the Chevy Jolt EV. :rofl:

3 Likes

The thing is, where thereā€™s smoke, thereā€™s fire. It would be different if it were a 1 off article. The fact that thereā€™s an article coming out left and right about quality issues would be cause for concern to me.

Out of curiosityā€¦why do you feel this way? Iā€™ve never had a mainstream car company NOT fix a problem for me. Why would Tesla fix a quality issue whereas a mainstream brand would not.

I have one because there are many things I get from it that I canā€™t get from a mainstream brand. For one, the OTA is a huge gamebreaker, the ability to get new features as your car ages is great. If they can ever get some cool new features on it, you will make the car last that much longer. The autopilot is great too, itā€™s hard to get another car with features like that.

Are they well designed, yes. Are they high quality? Absolutely not. My car was in a group that had a faulty charging port, basically all the cars build in that 2 months stretch had an issue. This should have been caught and fixed immediately, but their QA sucks. By pushing the deliveries, they leave their service department in a huge hole. If I was Elon Musk, I would literally hire a guy to oversee the QA of their cars.

Also no offense to the QA folks, but they are really just factory workers. Itā€™s not like they are trained doctors who can identify every little flaw.

1 Like

I rented a Model 3 back in January to compare it to my Bolt. It is indeed much smaller than Iā€™d anticipated. I came to the conclusion that it really isnā€™t a great family car for people with car seats. The Model 3 is basically an electric Porsche Cayman with 4 doors. Its low, sporty, handles like a go cart. Just a fun ā€œdriversā€™ā€ car. But it is small and not as comfortable (canā€™t believe Iā€™m even saying this) as my Bolt, which I was never really a fan of in the first place. But I came away from my Model 3 weekend rental really preferring the Bolt, which was a huge surprise to me.

2 Likes

I always had compact/midsize sedans with kids and never had a problem with car seats. Iā€™m 6ā€™3, 260 pounds myself, so there isnā€™t much room behind me, yet car seats always fit. Is Tesla3 really smaller than a '07 Civic?

I donā€™t think the Model 3 is as small or bad as the detractors try to make it. I agree not 100% of people who test it will like it and it certainly has shortcomings (instrument cluster, lack of wiper control, fit and finish etc etc etc and OBVIOUSLY the RIDICULOUS waiting time. When I pay, I want to drive the car now, not next year or 2020 :slight_smile:

But what is not in question is the EV range and motor drive train ā€” and that is the number 1 asset of an EV. Crash worthiness, safety etc is also on parā€¦

Surely Model 3 will have lots of radio, screen etc issues/gitches. Same with Samsung phones/galaxy note and iPhone X when they launched. Does that mean Samsung and Apple do not know how to make phones? Even Samsung flat panels are around 1% DOA and 5% will fail in a year.

Those Model 3 issues will be fixed and some will be lemons. Eventually Tesla will get it right.

Did BOLT/GM nail the manufacturing process? Sure. But they are making small evolutionary steps, so making a car from the parts bin is always going to be easier than the ground up.
Even Porsche churned out Lemons for their 911 engine in 2000 - 2006 (IMS bearing failure lol).
I will never get a Tesla since it is not a leasehack but good luck to them ā€¦

As for @ng0 , I think he will be disappointed yet again with delivery dates. Apparently news all over the place is that Tesla is having significant production problems and delays ā€¦

1 Like

You seem to forget the OTA, phone app, and Autopilot, which are game changers once you have it. Before I went to bed last night, I got a notification that my car got a software update. I did it overnight, drove the car this morning and it is way more solid

2 Likes

I remember when it was a treat if you got power windows.

Sending a software update to my car to run better does nothing for me. I donā€™t need constant updates in my car now, and it runs fine. To me, that indicates a flawed car, not ready for prime time.

I did not want to sound like a fanboy ā€¦

So your car came with 200hp, they sent you an update overnight and made it 250hp. You are not happy?

Why didnā€™t it come with 250 in the first place would be my question.

And I knew that lots of people see software as an evil as opposed to feature ā€¦ Some of us want bare metal, others want fly by wire ā€¦

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong, the car does have some issues. Itā€™s not as great as what the fanboys make it out to be, at the same time itā€™s not bad like the shorts or media make them out to be.

1 Like

Better protection, more testing? The VQ engine came out with 195hp, it ended with like 337.

bro - better NOT look at your BOLT with a microscope - Ignorance is bliss ā€¦

1 Like

No need. I have 20/20 vision. And I havenā€™t found anything even coming close to what Iā€™ve seen posted by Model 3 owners. GM has over a 100 years of experience putting cars together. That is not debatable.
And I made an incorrect statement. You donā€™t need a microscope to see Model 3 fit and finish defects. Even the blind could see them! Lol

2 Likes

saw a model 3 with a daytime running light out and thought of you :two_hearts::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like