Tesla Model 3 News

Not everyone gets the same write offs as California does. That makes a significant difference, and probably one of the reasons EVs have half of their fleets in CA.

1 Like

yup absolutely. I personally donā€™t like the idea of tax incentives for EVs (or even oil for that matter), but since they exist, Iā€™m going to milk it for all I can. :wink:

To add, not even everyone in CA qualifies for the $2500 rebate.

How many miles do you drive a month that it costs you a few hundred a month in gas? I know CA has some steep prices, but thatā€™s a fair amount of driving.

How did you get down to 400/month by saving gas? That would have nothing to do with your 600/mo car payment.

My Camry costs about $60 per tank (Gas prices here range between $3.50 - $4.00/gallon for 87!!). I fill my tank about once a week (maybe slightly less), so yea, Iā€™m being conservative by saying $200/month.

Iā€™m saying if I put the $200/month in savings on gas towards my monthly car payment, then that drops it to $400/month.

But that wouldnā€™t drop it to 400/mo. If your Camry cost 600/mo to purchase, and you spent 200/mo on gas, your car expense would be 800/mo. So, youā€™re essentially lowering your car expense from 800/mo to 600/mo. If you spent that extra 200/mo toward your Tesla principal, youā€™d still be paying 800/moā€¦just in a different fashion. If you saved that 200/mo insteadā€¦your car expense is still 600/mo.

Heā€™s stating that his gas savings would be 200$ a month. Although his payment would remain 600, he would still effectively be saving the 200 by no longer needing gas. Resulting in his ā€œ400ā€ cost per month in comparison.

1 Like

That math is wrong though. If Iā€™m shelling out 800/mo for gas and a car payment, thatā€™s 800/mo. Letā€™s assume my paycheck is 800/mo also. If Iā€™m saving 200/mo in gas, my expense is now 600, so I have an extra 200 in my checking account. So I need 600 that month to pay my car expense instead of 800. I then use that 200 gas savings any way I choose, or save it. I donā€™t have 400 extra in my account just because I save 200 in gasā€¦I still have only 200 bucks.

I get what youā€™re saying (although the way you said it is super confusing). To clarify, Iā€™d be buying a new car and having a car payment or lease payment regardless of what I get. Iā€™m not going to keep my old paid off Camry forever. If I didnā€™t get a Tesla Model 3, Iā€™d likely get something equivalent but gas powered. I originally responded to your comment saying ā€œThat cost less than the EV initially, even while paying for that expensive gas and oil, with more capabilitiesā€, and I was indicating that in the end, no I wouldnā€™t necessarily be paying more for an ICE car when rolling in the cost of gas. I hope that makes sense.

Ok, letā€™s try it this wayā€¦

800.00 - Paycheck
600.00 - Car payment
200.00 - Gas
0.00 = Balance remaining.

Now, with an EV:

800.00 - Paycheck
600.00 - Car Payment
0.00 - Gas
200.00 = Balance Remaining.
Note, youā€™re not really truly saving 200.00, as you will have some electric costs associated here, but Iā€™ll keep it simple

So, your payment will be ~600/mo based on what you said. Letā€™s assume this was an ICE and you were paying 200/mo on your gas. Youā€™d be paying 800/mo. Since itā€™s not an ICE, you save that 200 bucks, but youā€™re still paying 600. Youā€™re not dropping your expense to 400/mo by saving gas.

It will take time, but yes, you will eventually, in the long run, save money on oil changes, maintenance and gas than a comparable ICE. You have the advantage of tax incentives to help speed that process up.

Noteā€¦rereading your quoteā€¦maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. Maybe you were saying that a comparable 3 series was 400/mo, NOT that your expense was 400/mo.

Obviously Iā€™m talking about saving money on the total cost of ownership and not just the car. Even if I got a BMW for 400/month, Iā€™d still be ahead.

Ok, I realized I misread what you were sayingā€¦you were saying a comparable 3 series was 400/mo, NOT that your expense was now 400 month.

Polish moment.

1 Like

Is there a delivery date generated at that point?

3-6 weeks. Itā€™s been almost 2 weeks already, so I should be getting it by early April at the latest.

1 Like

Congrats. Please post pic of imminent human-to-car coitus.

1 Like

Thanks! Itā€™ll be a platonic but extremely loving relationship :joy:

2 Likes

Did you see loberantā€™s BMW 3 series deals lol. 36% off MSRP? Time to reconsider Model 3?

2 Likes

Man. Iā€™d be all over that, but my order is pretty much a done deal. I already have 3500 into it.

get one for your father in law (the 3 series)

Eh. He still wants a suv for whatever crazy reason. Dunno if I can talk him out of it at this point.