Tesla Model 3 News

I know right! From what I hear, Tesla wants to keep their UI clean of all the junk since they have such a beautiful interface. The issue is that Tesla needs to work on their app support! Right now all they have is Tunein and Slacker. If they added iheartradio, SiriusXM, Spotify, Waze and a few other apps, I think it’d be perfect! I think Tesla will get there, but right now, it’s definitely lacking.

I’m not really sure what delays you’re talking about. So far they’re only a month behind schedule. I know that’s not great, but it’s not that serious! The original estimate was that they’d release the Model 3 to Tesla/Space X employees by October (done), then they would deliver to current Tesla owners by November (one month delay… started delivering in December) and then they would start delivering Long range/PUP models by December to people that waited in line. So far no word, but some rumors say they’ll get 'em out in January. My estimate was originally Dec-Feb and now it’s Jan-Mar. Not terrible.

Fair argument, however, you’re assuming a supercharger is involved. If I can’t find a supercharger, or I have to drive out of my way to find one, it becomes a hassle to me. California has a much better electric infrastructure than Pennsylvania does. Consequently, the hype that you guys have over these things isn’t here.

Makes sense. I guess I forget that the whole country isn’t covered in superchargers yet. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m lucky in CA it doesn’t seem to be an issue. If I ever go on a road trip outside of CA it’s likely we’ll end up taking the SUV anyway, but if we don’t there should be enough places to stop along the way.

There’s actually a guy that’s doing a road trip all around the US and Canada right now in his Model 3. He had a few close calls on getting to a charging station with enough juice, but I think that’s just cause of his ridiculous itinerary.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/05/tesla-model-3-road-trip/

it’s because chevy mylink is by panasonic…

lol

LoL. You guys are just crack me up :stuck_out_tongue: I’m still over 2.5 months shy of 2 years of waiting. :wink:

Waiting 2 years… Is there some equivalent to being a cuck, but with cars?

#CarCuck

yea, the crazy thing is there’s people in Canada, Europe and the rest of the world that will likely be waiting 3 years or more for this car! Just goes to show how excited people are about it. Until there are some legitimate competitors to the Model 3, the wait is gonna be absurd. Car companies are all promising their fully electric cars in 2020 or later, so that wait would’ve been considerably longer.

If you go just by the headline “Tesla makes deliveries to customer”, then of course it is only a few weeks late. That’s like saying I invite you for dinner at 7 pm and at 7:30 I give you cheese and crackers and say see dinner is served 30 minutes late even though main course comes at 10.

In fact, Tesla engineered the milestone to say yeah we said we would make customer deliveries. They only delivered 3k Model 3 cars. Does that mean that only 2.5k insiders wanted a Model 3 and so they started delivering to customers having satisfied their “insider” waiting list?

If you look at the numbers, it tells a story of more than " a few weeks late". Their 5k per week milestone is pushed to Q2 as opposed to December. By this metric, it is 6 months late. But of course, if you just go by “customer got an M3” then only a few weeks late. I am not saying anything wrong or horrible with Model 3 but to pick that headline and say only a month late is being a fine politician (or fan boy as some would say)…
But then it seems the company likes to make statements like “The company said that in the last few days of the quarter it reached a production rate that "extrapolates to over 1,000 Model 3’s per week

That's like saying over a few seconds, I extrapolated the speed of my running burst to be equivalent to running a marathon in one hour.

Tesla shares fell roughly 2 percent in after-hours trading.

“As we continue to focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time, we expect to have a slightly more gradual ramp through Q1, likely ending the quarter at a weekly rate of about 2,500 Model 3 vehicles,” Tesla said in a release. “We intend to achieve the 5,000 per week milestone by the end of Q2.”

In 2017, the company had said it planned to reach a production rate of 5,000 cars per week for the Model 3, but later revised back that target to the end of the first quarter. Now, Tesla expects to reach the target by the end of the second quarter.

Tesla said it made “major progress” toward addressing the “production bottlenecks” the company has blamed for falling so far short of its Model 3 targets.

The company said that in the last few days of the quarter it reached a production rate that “extrapolates to over 1,000 Model 3’s per week.” CEO Elon Musk had previously said he expected weekly Model 3 production to be “in the thousands” by the end of 2017.

1 Like

I don’t have any inside knowledge so I can’t speak for anything outside of what’s public knowledge. What I can say based on all the time I’ve spent on Model 3 forums and Tesla’s official forum and their official delivery estimator is the following:

1. My official delivery estimate for a LR/PUP model was originally Dec '17 - Feb '18 and was changed to Jan - Mar. My friends that reserved and everyone on the forums had the exact same thing. (a one month official shift)
  2. Current Tesla owners are taking delivery of their Model 3s already, which indicates that they completely finished delivering all LR/PUP versions to employees and their families. I can’t say this with 100% certainty, but there’s nothing to indicate otherwise. My hunch is that a majority of Tesla/Space X employees that reserved are waiting on SR/non-PUP/AWD/white seats or some other variation of the car. They are not producing those yet.
  3. Most current Tesla owners on the forums I frequent have indicated that they have either gotten the email to configure their Model 3 or have already taken delivery. The revised delivery estimate for current Tesla owners in the US (that reserved on 3/31 or 4/1) was Nov-Jan, which means so far they’re still on line with the revised schedule. Again, no word on how many of these are deferring for different options.
  4. Non-Tesla owners in California that stood in line on 3/31 first thing in the morning have delivery estimates of Dec-Feb. As far as I know none of them have received an invite yet, but it’s still early January, so Tesla has not extended out their revised estimate.
  5. Tesla is currently producing cars at a rate of more than 1000/week. I don’t know how they’ve managed to only be a month behind schedule, but like you I can’t explain it. Again, it’s possible that they’re getting a significant amount of people waiting for other options/configurations of the car.

I just hope that I get mine before March!

I think it’s unlikely you’ll get yours before March. Current owners will likely still be taking delivery by then. We all know by now Elon Time is months behind the time we live in, so I wouldn’t count on it. I think when it comes to Tesla, it’s something you shouldn’t be thinking about or refreshing your reservation page on a daily basis. Just look at it this way, it’ll come as a nice surprise when you get that config email.

Too bad you can’t post it in the trophy Garage LOL

1 Like

I hear this a lot, but so far Tesla has delayed very little when it comes to the Model 3. Until I hear otherwise I’m going to be cautiously optimistic. :slight_smile: March would be the very end of the estimate range with the month of delay already announced. I think it all depends on how deliveries are ordered. If day one (3/31) reservationists in CA get them before the rest of the country regardless of what time in the day you reserved, then I think March is realistic. If they deliver in order of where you were in line regardless of where you are in the US, then I could be waiting a little longer.

LoL. yea. If no one minds i’ll post a picture of it in this thread when I get it. :wink:

Only leases allowed, sorry :grin:

haha, no i mean in this Model 3 thread, not the trophy garage :slight_smile:

I know, same rules everywhere on LH :slightly_smiling_face: JK

1 Like

I think we will allow him to create a new thread when he hinally gets it and we will bump it up everyday for a month. Seriously though you waiting for that car like i wait for jessica biel in my dreams every night.

3 Likes

:joy: (20 LOL chars…)

aw shucks… I’m gonna go back to doing my drooling on the model 3 forums! hahah. jk :stuck_out_tongue: I like this forum :slight_smile: