Tesla Model 3 News

So are payments to farmers, construction industry, big oil.

Exxon paid $101 billion in US taxes on US income of $82 billion in 2015(IRS taxes on global income), I don’t think Tesla has ever paid a cent in US income tax.

You don’t really want to play this game.

@ng0 Tesla superchargers haven’t been free for almost a year now, this hasn’t fixed the congestion.

101 billion on 82 billion? That seems very wrong. Either way, I don’t support subsidies for any of the above mentioned industries. The federal government really shouldn’t be involved. I’m still happy Tesla exists and look forward to owning one.

Tesla superchargers are free to all Model S/X owners prior to this year and even new Model S/X owners can get free supercharging for life with a referral code. No offense but you seem to be very confused about your facts.

Model 3 owners have to pay 20 cents per kW for using the superchargers although there are reports of some people not being charged at certain stations. I think new Model 3 owners are still figuring out what’s included with their car.

As I said, the US taxes corporations and individuals on their global income. Exxon has a lot of overseas income it pays US taxes on.

SDGE charges between 19 and 50 cents per kWh, so at worst a supercharger cost basically the same as charging at home. However it’s much cheaper to charge at a Tesla station during the day.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I anticipate a majority of Model 3 owners will be charging in the middle of the night in the comfort of their own house for less than 20 cents/kWh. Some, like me will be charging at work for less than 12 cents/kWh. No one I know will be sitting around at a supercharger in the middle of the day to charge their car if it costs them more than at home. I’m sure quite a few EV owners will also have solar or plan on getting it. I’m still planning to do an expansion on my house and after that there’s no doubt I’ll get solar and charging my car will have zero cost outside of the cost of the solar system.

Remember how this got started?:thinking:

Yes and that’s still a completely valid point. Like I said above, the point of having the charging infrastructure is so that an EV can be used like a traditional car. Charge at home for local commutes, charge at superchargers for more than 200-300 mile travel.

You just answered your own question. 30-40% faster is a lot of time saved. But to your first point, if all EV’s have access to DC fast charge, they are all equal. That is false, Tesla cars have adapters that allow them to charge at ANY charging station. While non Tesla cars do not have access to Tesla superchargers. Which give Tesla a bigger advantage.

@CalOkie I agree, the charging stations are always packed (no matter what car manufacturer). The more companies that add to the charging infrastructure the better. As for the reason why the Superchargers are packed, is due to the fact it is free for the MS and MX. Once they start charging for all cars, the stations won’t be packed.

30-40% faster hypothetical when you only use a supercharger twice a year is utterly insignificant. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. Either people are going to be using the superchargers all the time, in which case the waiting lines at them negate the moderately faster charge; or people are only going to be using them rarely in which case who cares if it took you an extra 15 minutes on your road trip?

Either way, it’s not apples to oranges as you said.

Oh and you’re wrong. Teslas cannot charge at CCS stations, which is rapidly taking over as the defacto industry standard. In addition, Tesla charging at chademo stations do so slower than at superchargers.

The charging infrastructure for chademo/CCS is better than for Tesla. There are way more chargers in way more locations. Yes there are sometimes no chargers in the middle of Iowa, but that will only affect a tiny number of people. Plus far more CCS stations are being installed than superchargers.

CCS/Chademo better than Telsa?

AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a dual port Tesla like they now have in China. One for Tesla and one CCS. There’s already a Chademo adapter.

1 Like

I still get the feeling you miss the point of superchargers and I get the feeling that you’re not really interested in understanding it. The point of the supercharging network is to get wherever you need to go in the world without range anxiety (one of the top issues people have with electric cars) and without having to sit around for hours trying during your trip. We’re not at the point where you can stop at a “gas station” for 10 minutes and “fill up”, but a half hour charge to get 80% is definitely getting there. At this point you can get nearly anywhere in the US and many places in the world with a super charging station on the way.

Yes there are slower alternatives. Yes you can stop by anyone’s house and charge any electric car, but in the end, it’s the speed and convenience that wins out when you need it the most.

Looks like it’s on its way, https://electrek.co/2017/10/16/tesla-new-dual-charge-port-design-model-s-model-x/

Let’s agree to disagree, but see below for links to public information (take it with a grain of salt, you can’t always believe everything online):

Public DC - 5,600~

Superchargers - 7,200~
https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

Also, there are other features available to Tesla vehicles that other car manufacturers don’t have. The charging infrastructure is just a small piece.

Most extensive in-depth look yet.

2 Likes

I made it through half so far. Hopefully i’ll get some time to finish the last half hour soon. It’s very long, but I appreciate how indepth it is. Keep in mind they did this video awhile ago but only recently got permission to release it. The software will vary quite a bit now.

I’ve taken 3 trips from SF Bay Area to SoCal in a Model S within the last 1.5 years and never had issues having to wait for an available supercharger stall. After reading the story on greencarreports about one woman’s trip from SF Bay to LA in a Bolt, I don’t trust the availability of the CCS infrastructure at all. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109117_chevy-bolt-ev-800-mile-trip-in-238-mile-electric-car-shows-challenges-remain

One thing I really can’t wait for is full autonomous driving - driving with AP1 on open stretches actually makes me a lot more drowsy than having to be alert and pay attention to traffic.