Tesla Model 3 News

If you could get a Model 3 before July 1, 2018, it could be a great deal.

Base Model 3 with destination: $36,000
Out the door price after taxes and fees: $40,000
Less $7,500 tax credit and $2,500 CVRP: $30,000

I figure after three years, one could still sell it for $24,000. By then, the tax credit will be gone.

Total depreciation is about $167/month.

The tax credit will likely be halved Q3 and Q4 of 2018. And halved again Q1 and Q2 of 2019.

Very good points you make. The way things are going, it’s possible you could even sell it after 2 years for the original purchase price depending on how far along they are in production hell. I don’t want to be another one of the naysayers here, but I think very few people (if any) will take deliveries of base model 3’s by July. Possibly employees and current owners.

On the other hand, there’s still a push in states like CA to provide a full $10k tax credit when the federal tax credit rolls off. As a tax payer in CA, I’m not thrilled about that, but as an EV enthusiast I would love to take advantage of that.

Maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere. Where I live(socal), there is exactly one Tesla supercharger in the county and no less than 7 DC fast charging stations.

In addition, as part of the VW dieselgate settlement VW is committed to spending $2b on a US DC fast charging network. Modern CCS is capable of up to 150kw, though the Bolt is limited to 80 and the M3 is in the same ballpark.

Those are some hilariously wishful thinking with regards to the RV.

1 Like

Supercharging isn’t meant to be available where you live, but where you’re going. There’s only one in my city as well, but I don’t need it here. I can charge my car at home or work and not worry about it. What I do need is a network of superchargers around the country that will allow be to travel without parking my car overnight to charge. Many of the superchargers are getting installed in the middle of nowhere in convenient places off of freeways so that you don’t get stuck somewhere without a charge.

There is a nationwide fast charging network for long distance travelers. It’s called rent a SUV from Enterprise. Taking a compact sedan on a long cross country road trip is an exercise in self-hate.

Not to mention, the national CHAdeMO network is pretty good and they’re all converting to dual CHAdeMO/CCS stations. The number of chargers does matter because I don’t want to wait 4 hours to charge at the one supercharger onroute. You can’t have one supercharger per city and also claim to aim for 100k model 3 sales a year. The number of CHAdeMO/CCS fast chargers nationwide is far greater than the number of Tesla superchargers, supporting a larger number of EVs.

1 Like

That was my thinking that the value of Model 3 will technically increase while the federal tax credit fades away. But as @ng0 mentioned, states like CA will like push new rebates to compensate that. Especially the current EV market share is way below what lawmakers’ expectation, it’s very likely the government will boost subsides until EV market share starts to take off.

Trump’s government? Right…

I also live in SoCal. I live in IE and work in OC. It has been about a year since the last time i visited a DC fast charge station (sold my EV cause the range wasn’t enough). So my info may not be current, but I still see people posting up issues with charging stations and people hogging the stations. I’m sure this is the case for Tesla Superchargers as well, but there is a charge for occupying the space if you’re done charging.

From what i remember there are at least 3-4 superchargers in the LA county, 3 in OC, 1 in IE with at 3-7 stations per supercharging location. There are at least 15 DC fast charge sites in the 3 counties i listed above (1 - 6 stations per site) with 4 sites that provide free DC fast charge, but these are usually packed and will have to wait.

Just because the station is capable of supplying 150kw, doesn’t mean the car can take that much. My chevy spark ev charge rate was 6.6kw. Where the bolt and model 3 charge rates are 55kw (DC chargers) and 80kw-120kw (Supercharger, still unconfirmed) respectively. This information is from what I’ve read so take it with a grain of salt.

More and more people are getting EVs and the stations will get more packed. I’m glad more money is being put into the charging station infrastructure which will allow me to buy whatever vehicle and any manufacturer and not worry about where I need to charge.

I know don’t what “Trump’s government” is, but no, it’ll be state specific tax credits.

Musk didn’t built Tesla factory on state subsidies, did he? Besides, it was not about state credits, read again. Or maybe I didn’t understand and it was :slight_smile:
I meant bigger picture with EV.

huh? Tesla was given tax incentives to build the gigafactory in Nevada, but that has nothing to do with the tax credits for buying an EV. Tesla is actually against the federal EV tax credits because it puts them at a disadvantage against other car companies since they’ll run out first.

In the very beginning, before there was anything.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-musk-subsidies-20150531-story.html

Again - I’m not talking about personal tax credits, I’m talking about government subsidies for developing EV, like China.

Oh, yes he received subsidies and paid it all back. I’m not sure what that has to do with the tax credits for purchasing EVs?

Nothing! I’ve said it twice, can you read? LOL

Then how can you claim that Teslas are different from other EVs when all EVs have access to DC fast charge? The Model 3 may charge somewhat faster than the Bolt(30-40%), but newer EVs are planned to have even faster speeds at 100kw.

There are also far, far more chademo/ccs stations than Tesla superchargers. Lines at Tesla stations are already a reality with the small number of Model S and Xs on the road, so Tesla would need to increase the number of chargers by an order of magnitude to accommodate all those Model 3s it claims to be building. Meanwhile, a large number of CCS stations are being built by several different companies, far in excess of what Tesla has planned.

1 Like

No, the low interest loan Tesla received was and still is a subsidy. At the time when Tesla got that loan from the Department of Energy, it was a risky new startup. If the government hadn’t subsidized Tesla, it would have been forced to borrow at dramatically higher interest rates on the private market.

Read this article if you’re interested in why those loans to startup companies are actually huge subsidies even if the loan is repaid.

1 Like
1 Like

Not saying the subsidy was justified, just saying that it was given and was paid back. I’m not going to hold it against Tesla that they took advantage of a government program that shouldn’t have existed.

I have a tesla model s and live close to a charging station in Fountain Valley Ca. I’ve tried going off hours, etc. Its always full. i have never just pulled into a free charger. Moreover, there is no want to tell when it is your turn other than to look at a bunch of similar cars. I do love my Tesla - but we need more charging stations.I also have a “gas station” in my garage wih my plug in power there. But really need more chargers Especailly with the 3 coming.

They’re coming! Musk promised to double the number of superchargers globally by the end of 2017. It seems like they’re making a lot of progress and creating larger stations (40+ stalls in certain locations). 10,000 superchargers worldwide still isn’t a ton, but they’re currently the only ones creating an infrastructure so you have to start somewhere. Gas stations had 100+ years to expand, so things like this don’t just completely change overnight.

Fortunately for Model S owners, Model 3 owners will have to pay 20 cents per kW to charge, so the value in taking up valuable supercharger stalls when they can charge cheaper at home just won’t be there. If people really used supercharging stations for their travel needs rather than just to save a couple bucks at home, there would be plenty of spaces available for everyone.

Here in San Diego, there’s 1 station, and that one station fills up throughout the day due to all the businesses around (it’s in a Qualcomm lot). After around 9:30pm, a few spaces start opening up and by 10, at least half are available to be used.