Tesla Model 3 News

Agree. Tesla’s lease sucks in general, but I was hoping some other banks/credit unions can offer some more sensible options. TBH, I’m thinking of giving up my reservation because of the price. After leasing my 2017 i3 for $200+/mo and Bolt available for $100+/mo, I’m very reluctant to pay more than $400/mo for Model 3 as much as I love the hype of driving a tesla which drives itself.

You know the Model 3 competitor is already out there right? And it is leasing for an amazing price too…

2 Likes

Since the production date, delivery targets and price of Model 3 are all hypotheticals at the moment, giving up your reservation is like waking up from a dream - it is of no material importance just like the tree that falls with no one to hear it…

Your reservation is not likely to be fulfilled any time soon … ng0 may pine all he wants and look at his tesla.com Feb18 reservation date till his eyes fall off, it ain’t happening … Feb 19 more likely …

haha, i won’t be surprised if the delivery date is delayed 6-12 months given tesla’s production records and status quo. i was planning to transfer my wife’s mini clubman lease (expires Jun. 2019) and get Model 3. Guess we will just stick with the clubman and see what happens.

By the time the Model 3 is widely available GM might already have released its own implementation of autopilot.

Well, I’ll keep the dream alive and keep driving my old Camry until it falls apart. After getting an opportunity to drive a Model 3, it just solidifies my commitment to wait. I’m not delusional, I know Dec is wishful thinking, but I’ll keep hoping it comes by early to mid next year.

And no, the Bolt is not a competitor. It’s a mass market car that happens to be electric vs a luxury car that happens to be electric. I’m sure the Bolt is a very good car, and for the lease price it’s definitely tempting, but trying to compare the two is like saying a Chevy Cruz is the same as BMW 3-series. The MSRP price of 38K+ is just outrageous.

That is the first sign lol

A stripper 320i is less luxurious than a well optioned Chevy Cruze. Likewise, the top trim Bolt has more tech and is more luxurious than the base Model 3.

Unless, of course, you only care about the badge.:thinking::wink:

I disagree, but to each their own. I notice a significant and noticeable difference in quality for a base model bmw over any fully loaded Chevy. I can’t do an honest comparison with a base model 3 because no one has ever seen one. If you know otherwise than you’re somehow privy to something the rest of us don’t know about.

Comparing Tesla to other competitors is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they are EV, but many people forget one of the most important aspect for an EV, charging infrastructure (only for Tesla though). Yes, I understand that most people will charge at home or work, but just the ability to be able to charge on the go at a high speed is important IMO. No one but Tesla has that.

The same goes with the Auto Pilot feature, but Nissan does have the pro pilot coming out for the 2018 Rogue, which is awesome. I hope more cars will have features like this soon.

I would like to give it to Tesla for being the first successful pioneer to have the charging infrastructure and the Auto Pilot.

1 Like

Yes, because others are actually car manufacturers and have the ability to produce multiple models in high volume and redesign EV’s every few years, like regular cars. Tesla can’t do that and in a few years they will be left behind. But pioneers they are, sure.

1 Like

Comparing Tesla to someone like GM and others is like comparing apples you can buy at any supermarket to a rare Amazon rainforest fruit that no non-insider has been able to buy yet …

2 Likes

That is very true, other car manufacturers can do that. They have also been in the car business much longer. Tesla still has lots to learn, but they upped the game for the car industry and it’s future (if they are successful with their future models).

1 Like

I’m sure the horse breeders and carriage manufacturers thought the same about Ford and GM back in the day. Give it some time. The world wasn’t built in a day.

1 Like

It’s still a future for us and Tesla, but is reality for China where they plan to switch to EVs by 2020. Just a couple of years away and they will do it. But Model 3 will not be widely available and affordable even by 2020.
Edit: not switch but start producing by 2019.

Last month, the Chinese government told all auto makers, foreign and domestic, to start building EVs by 2019, having also outlined future plans to ban gasoline cars. Beijing is spending billions of dollars on subsidies to boost the efforts of domestic auto makers to develop EVs.

You know there are public DC fast chargers right?

1 Like

My delivery dates for my 2 Model 3s

IMO get a bolt in the interim while the getting is good.

General Motors was created by the guy who also created the largest horse carriage company in the world. :thinking:

Nice! I was tempted to get a Bolt in the meantime as well, but I really don’t want to deal with transferring the lease later on (if that’s even possible through Chevy). I’m just hoping my 220K mile camry will hold out for a bit longer.

I am aware of that. I have chargepoint, plugshare and evgo (I use to drive a chevy spark ev). DC fast chargers are few and far.

DC fast charge ≠ Tesla supercharger. Not going to go into the math but google is your friend.

1 Like