Tesla Model 3 News

Lol nice edit.

It is available for sale to the public, a few people have already taken delivery even. Yet mysteriously their videos on YouTube kept disappearing when the shortcomings of the car were point out by the public.

Even Tesla admitted their touch interface only system is dumb when they quietly said later model 3s will have a traditional stalk for functions like the windshield wiper.

These were not “produced”. They were assembled in much the same way a traditional manufacturer would do a test run …
Model 3 will be produced, the only question is when will all the prod glitches be ironed out to consider it being in true mass production in the high 4 figures, consistently and predictably… I am saying 3-6 months…

Which easily puts customer 50k receiving their cars by Summer of 2018 …

Yep, I was mistaking BT connectivity (available) and BT streaming (not yet available). Since the former is already there I’d guess the latter is imminent.

"It is available for sale to the public"
Um, no it’s not? Being a Tesla employee is not “the public”.

The stalk has always been there. No offense but comments like these indicate you aren’t well versed on Teslas or the Model 3.

The stalk can only be used to turn the wipers on and off. If you want to change the speed, you need to go through several button presses on the touchscreen. This terrible ergonomics could be forgiven if it had rain sensing wipers, but the model 3 doesn’t have that feature.

And this is mind-boggling since it’s such an obvious solution for wipers in general. Smart cars like Tesla should not have stalk or required pressing something on the screen to activate it.

2 Likes

No, you don’t need to go through several button presses on the touchscreen. Pressing the stalk pops up the wiper adjustment display on the screen automatically.

I agree automatic wipers should be a standard feature in this class of car. Most expect them to be added but it seems unclear if they will detect rain through a dedicated rain sensor (I’ve read conflicting info on if this sensor does/doesn’t exist) or via the IMO overly complicated path of using the AP cameras to “see” the rain. Not all of Tesla’s ideas are winners. :smirk:

I haven’t seen a single manufacturer (other than Porsche) even state they are competing to have a fast-charging network in the USA.

I think the manufacturers are expecting the shopping malls, office complexes, apartments and homes to pick up the slack when it comes to the charging “network”.

Porsche link for those curious: https://electrek.co/2017/07/14/porsche-350-kw-ev-charging-station/

1 Like

Yep. Workplaces and shopping malls are certainly helpful and appreciated, but they do diddly squat for road trips where you really need fast chargers spaced out equidistant.

So I had the fortunate opportunity to see and play around in the first delivered Model 3 in San Diego. All I can say… worth the wait! Yea, it definitely needs some software updates, but it’s super sleek! Basically everything I’ve been hoping for all along! At this point, i can’t imagine getting any other car.

3 Likes

FYI…

In case you haven’t seen this yet, an investigative reporter suggest that Model 3 full production won’t really begin until 2018 or 2019:

http://dailykanban.com/2017/10/model-3-body-line-still-in-development-in-michigan/

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4112109-model-3-may-mess-short-tesla-yet

According to Niedermeyer’s story, Tesla’s Model 3 body line is still not complete and, indeed, is not even at its Fremont, California, factory. Rather, a Michigan-based supplier called Thai Summit America is developing a pilot body panel line for Tesla which, if all goes well, will be shipped to Fremont at some point in 2018 or early 2019.

FREMONT, Calif.— Tesla Inc. TSLA 0.44% blamed “production bottlenecks” for having made only a fraction of the promised 1,500 Model 3s, the $35,000 sedan designed to propel the luxury electric-car maker into the mainstream.

Unknown to analysts, investors and the hundreds of thousands of customers who signed up to buy it, as recently as early September major portions of the Model 3 were still being banged out by hand, away from the automated production line, according to people familiar with the matter.

While the car’s production began in early July, the advanced assembly line Tesla has boasted of building still wasn’t fully ready as of a few weeks ago, the people said. Tesla’s factory workers had been piecing together parts of the cars in a special area while the company feverishly worked to finish the machinery designed to produce Model 3’s at a rate of thousands a week, the people said.

Automotive experts say it is unusual to be building large parts of a car by hand during production. “That’s not how mass production vehicles are made,” said Dennis Virag, a manufacturing consultant who has worked in the automotive industry for 40 years. “That’s horse-and-carriage type manufacturing. That’s not today’s automotive world.”

=====

As ng0 said, blah bad news, move on, nothing to see here, keep sipping koolaid …

======

In a statement, a Tesla spokeswoman declined to answer questions for this article and said, “For over a decade, the WSJ has relentlessly attacked Tesla with misleading articles that, with few exceptions, push or exceed the boundaries of journalistic integrity. While it is possible that this article could be an exception, that is extremely unlikely.” The Journal disagrees with the company’s categorization of its journalism.

=====

One worker who spent time in the Model 3 shop—dubbed by some as Area 51 because of the limited access and secretive nature—described watching young workers in September struggling to move large pieces of steel to weld together instead of using robots as is traditionally the case.

“In place of the robots…you’ve got two associates lining up with a big, old spot welder hanging from the ceiling by a chain, and you’ve got one associate kind of like balancing it and trying to get the welder in position, and you’ve got another welder with his arm guiding it,” this worker recalled seeing. “Sparks go flying.”

Musk is shipping 400k gallons of koolaid to his reservation holders, with a card saying 2020 will be here faster than you can drink this …

1 Like

At this point, I can’t imagine anyone getting this car before end of 2018 …

Who knows. I’ll continue to hope that’s not true.

No love for Elon from wsj :slightly_smiling_face:

Are people here really not aware of Elon Time™ or just being disingenuous?

Elon is basically the most optimistic person in the world. Of course they didn’t hit the expectations.

We’re gonna do another Model 3 meetup this weekend! Looking forward to seeing it in the daytime. :slight_smile:

Oooh, where at?

(Not that I’m in a position to plunk down $40K on a car right now)

It’ll be in San Diego. Sunday 11-12. Haven’t picked a location yet.