Tesla Model 3 News

Just read @ng0’s reply. He considers himself a buyer and NOT a fan boy LOL
But I agree - fan boys. $50K car without working Bluetooth, radio and wipers-in-few-clicks?

Fine be like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to hear you’re getting less excited. I got really nervous about the car once the price started shooting up with all the options I want. Reading the model 3 forums has gotten me more and more excited. There’s a couple guys that took delivery and are talking about all their experiences and details and it just sounds amazing.

And I’d be willing to wait for a software update, but I’d be very surprised if bluetooth wasn’t available by December (when I’m scheduled to get my car). And wipers can be controlled from the stalk.

Ya, that’s a true statement if you consider the entire run is “pre-production”. The Model 3 production is the largest beta roll in production history. With the model s track record id be Leary at best.

If you are the type that gets your panties in a bunch because possibly the most forward-looking car ever is missing AM radio, then NEWSFLASH: Telsas are not for you. :rofl:

Model S and X don’t have AM radio either and neither does the BMW i3. With Telsas, you can use TuneIn streaming, which is already working over LTE, to receive most AM stations.

Blockquote

Is blockquote broken?

A better comparison is would be if Apple launched iPhone 8 and the new Portrait Lighting Mode feature was still in Beta with the expectation that it will be updated OTA to work better in the future. That is what they did. An even closer comparison is if you installed iOS 11 Public Beta 1 and shit was broken or unfinished. No one should be surprised by that.

Everything happening has been advised by Tesla for over a year now. If someone is surprised the software isn’t finished yet then they simply haven’t been paying attention. The time to get bent out of shape is when anyone can walk in and buy one off the showroom floor.

As far as I’m concerned whether they call it “production” or “beta” is totally irrelevant until the general public can buy one.

Well October is almost here and I can’t see the production hell ramp up yet. They delivered 6 in July and 100 in August. At this rate, Elon’s mother will not get one before she is too old to drive…

[Citation needed] on this 100 in August quote. Sounds like hearsay to me.

insideevs.com

As for deliveries and production of the Model 3, this means we have primarily this information from Musk to go by from July:

“Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3’s on the 28th! Production grows exponentially, so Aug should be 100 cars and Sept above 1500.”

Indeed, we were at the launch party and saw the first 30 go out, however we haven’t been able to get a good feel on August’s deliveries (especially given the apparent non-disclosure cloud that is hanging over these early days), noting maybe a couple dozen or so being prepped and leaving the company’s Fremont, CA facility this month (such as these ~9 spotted late in the month by the Tesla Show).

So how many did Tesla Model 3s did deliver in August? We feel like a range of somewhere between 40 and 75 sounds about right…so we will go with 75 (just to keep the emails of “hey why didn’t you guys say 100 down to a dull roar”), as we imagine Tesla stuck to the CEO’s directive of producing (key word in that quote from Musk – producing…not delivering) 100 Model 3s during August.

Looking ahead to September, and given where Tesla seems to be at today, we think we should again stress the quote from Musk, “Production grows exponentially, so Aug should be 100 cars and Sept above 1500“.

Don’t worry. Everything on track to produce 20k in December. Miracles do happen and Santa does exist. Even if in October, Musk is more focused on the Tesla semi reveal …

My feeling is tesla will blame the suppliers for falling short …

Thanks.

So that’s Musk’s expectation which (as anyone paying attention also knows) is almost almost always optimistic. Maybe they actually only delivered 50 in August? I don’t think we’ll know any real numbers until after Q3.

Exactly. Q3 end is September, so in a few more days we will learn how far they fell behind …
Even a 25% shortfall would mean significant delays …

1 Like

eh yea. Heard about that. :frowning: Bad news. Blah.

What are you doing in those websites. I thought this was your life.

A simple calculation shows they doubled their capacity from around 100 in August to 220 September. Let’s assume they can keep this up.

500 in october
1000 in November
2k December
4k January
8k Feb and they max out there for a few months.

This puts them at least 3 months behind schedule. Let’s give another 3 months for glitches and supply shortages. So Now they are six months behind and doing 10k a month. Not the end of the world but it means customer 400k is not going to get her car until at least 2020.

LMAO 2020 by then Mercedes, BMW, VOLVO, basically every manufacturer in the world will have electrified powertrains out by then!

Disclaimer: I have 2 model 3 reservations so I was very optimistic when it was announced.

Nobody cares about AM radio, don’t be disingenuous. In your example not having Bluetooth streaming in a $50k in the year of our Lord 2017 is like an iphone not launching with email functionality. Of course the initial reviews to die hard fanatics are going to be golden. Musk could have delivered them a motorized scooter and they’d still be talking about how “forward looking” it is.

So if being a Tesla “buyer” means I shouldn’t expect basic features, then guess I’m not a Tesla buyer. The $50k EV market is about to be real crowded in a couple of years anyways.

1 Like

I hope they do–Better for everyone. I would like to be able to choose from competitive electric cars from all the manufacturers (and I don’t mean hybrids). So far I’ve not seen any signs in the US that they will have a competitive fast charging network any time soon.

260 cars produced tho… Woof. Not very surprised but still very low!

BT streaming will be there when the car is for sale to the public. This isn’t a typical car company for better or worse. Telsa releases software updates like once a month and has already added new features on this car that weren’t there on day 1.