Tesla Model 3 News

I completely disagree but consider that Standard does have front heated seats and cruise though they are not called out on the Telsa specs page. (Update: Standard having heat front seats might have been inaccurate from MT but cruise is definitely included.)

We don’t know what “textile” interior is like yet, but I bet it is on par with the Bolt if not better. Almost every brand charges extra for paint, so no surprises there.

Look at the stated specs: https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/presskit

Here are things I see that are standard features the competition at $35k doesn’t have:
Charger-aware Nav with free updates (not available on Bolt at any price!)
15" display
Phone as a fob and NFC card
Autodim mirror
Full LED lighting
Eight cameras (can add EAP/FSD years later if you decide to then)
As I mentioned EAB+ collision avoidance
Supercharger capable
Free OTA updates

I agree a battery upgrade for $9k is steep (and I doubt I need that) but we know there’s a lot of people that want gas car competitive range regardless of their actual use case.

I think that is very successfully an entry lux EV at $35k. If you know of a competitor at this price please share as I’d be interested in buying one!

1 Like

Are you just looking to lease? Asking because a used Tesla s85 are retailing around 45-50k and you get grandfathered to unlimited use of charging and HOV lanes.

2 Likes

I was considering a used one, but all the ones in the <50k range seem to have very high miles and they’re the older versions of the Model S that seemed to have questionable build quality (from what I’ve read). They also had the old generation of autopilot that used to work better, but now has fallen behind the times. Personally I’d rather have a brand new upgraded Model 3 at that price point.

So you balk at the older model that have questionable build yet want a brand new one that is, in elon’s words made in “production hell”. I am pretty sure the first six months of production will have many gremlins.

1 Like

I watched the motortrend test drive and I think I actually like the way the car looks. The editor says after the Model 3, the Alfa Giuilia felt like a wet sponge. So question is when can I test drive one and get a good deal on one here in MA lol? I would be willing to do 1.2% MSRP, maybe 390 a month with tax for the base model?

I’d definitely consider Model 3 at $35K, but I’d just buy it. It won’t lease well in a foreseeable future, if ever.

1 Like

haha… There’s no way you’re getting a deal on a lease on this car in the next 3 years or so. It’s going to take them almost that long just to get through the half a million deposits.

Can you send me the link to the motortrend test drive! So far I’m hearing nothing but great things. Only complaint is that it doesn’t have the speedometer right in front of the driver, but I think that’s something I could get used to. Worst case is people will put in 3rd party HUDs.

Wonder how many people will drop their reservation because of price, change of needs, etc.

They haven’t raised the price at all, so I anticipate that won’t be the issue. The problem is the delay in delivery for those that are really set on getting it at the 35k price point without the extras. I’m guessing though if people have waited this long already with their $1k tied up, they’ll be willing to wait until February for their 35k version. As for change of needs, I guess that would only be if someone decided they need a bigger car/SUV, so who knows. Again, if they haven’t cancelled any time in the past year, I doubt they’ll decide to now. Basically everything Tesla has promised will be in the base Model 3 but the timeline will be delayed by a few months. If you’re in rush, you’ll be paying 9k extra for the longer range and earlier delivery date.

I’m not sure how many people are prepared to pay for $9k for longer range and another $5k for auto-pilot. Plus, the federal tax credit most likely will be cut in half in Q3 or Q4 and fade away in the following quarter. That might have an impact on a lot of people (especially those on this forum ;-)).

Again, no one’s being forced to pay for the longer range and/or autopilot. I think Tesla has been pretty clear that 35k would be for the base model and only people that were delusional thought they’d be getting autopilot for free. I agree that the federal tax credit will make or break the deal for most people, but I’m going into it with the assumption that I’ll be getting zero. Anything extra is gravy :slight_smile:

I don’t think they clearly spelled out anything about anything that would/would not be included in the $35k car. I also don’t recall them calling $35k Tesla “base” model, at least not when they opened the list. So, like I’ve said before - at best it’s a sales gimmick to get money from investors-future buyers. But I don’t follow Model 3 and may be wrong.

Tesla will probably lose a ton of money selling the model 3 at $35,000 especially when they include the autopilot sensors for free. The sensors come with every car, just not activated.

1 Like

They said from day one that for $35k you’ll get a car that drives 215 miles per charge, 0-60 in less than 6 seconds and a car that beats out anything luxury-wise on the market in that price point. Based on reviews so far, they’ve done that and then some. I’ve been following Model 3 news very closely and this has been consistent.

1 Like

No confirmation, but many sites are estimating that Tesla will make very little money on the base model, but Tesla is estimating the average cost will end up being $42k. Much of that should be decent profit. The first ones are going to be $49k so Tesla should make some decent money off that one.

Agree, if they can make the interior feel luxury then Tesla Model 3 will own the bmw 3 series, Audi A4, and Mercedes C class in the $50k price range.

2 Likes

Sounds very generic, no? Like “X3 can go 400 miles on a tank of gas and in 7.8 from 0 to 60 (no idea the about the actual number) and is very luxurious”. Yet, base doesn’t come with leather and some other “luxuries” and other useful things. That’s not how you picked yours, right?

1 Like

yup, totally generic, but Tesla has a history of releasing impressive electric cars though admittedly not on time, so I figured I’d trust Musk when he says it would beat out any car on the market in that price range. Based on the few reviews I’ve read, it seems they’re making good on their ambiguous promises so far. I’m likely going to get the upgraded version anyways, so doesn’t make a difference to me. :slight_smile:

Who’s arguing about that?