Tesla Model 3 News

My plan:
$35k Standard
$1k Paint
$1.5k 19s
$5k Premium
Total $42.5k - $7500 rebate (not too worried as I had pre-reveal reservation)
= $35k

I don’t think Autopilot is with $5k yet, but I can always unlock it later. $9k for the bigger battery is too rich for me and I rarely go on multi-state trips. I had an i3 REx and despite its piddly 80 mile range I only used 20 gallons of gas over the entire 2 years! Great car though. Electric torque is life.

I’m not sure that Tesla is going to even offer a lease option at first. Should be interesting to see, as that would exclude some buyers.

eh. Kinda a ridiculous article. If I didn’t have the money for the premium options, colors, expanded battery, etc then I’d be completely content with the 35k version. I’d be tempted to wait for it, but obviously I’m way too excited about it at this point. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think it is ridiculous at all, it is very factual, what is a little bit stupid is their headline which has no real relevance to what they write.

1 Like

I read that someone emailed Tesla directly and they currently have no plans to offer leases on the 3…

Telsa has been using US Bank for leases and based on horror stories posted here about US Bank leases maybe this is a good thing. :wink:

Have you seen lease quotes for Teslas? Someone asked for the cheapest S recently and one of their sales rep @TheNotoriousHam came back with $851/month with $7k down. :joy:

Here it goes…

I’ve seen similar reports for months. I saw someone had posted that immediately after complaining (i’m not sure if it was through twitter or forum or what) they got the refund the next day. I’m glad I still want the car. :slight_smile:

My refund came within 48 hours.

Not bad. Just out of curiosity, when did you put down your deposit, when did you cancel and why?

damn. chargebacks en route.

I was in the first 30k as a current owner. I canceled because they announced the AWD version would be significantly delayed and I already have an electric car. By the time they release the AWD version tax credits will be gone and price will not be competitive with offerings from other companies like BMW 550e xDrive.

More than 90 days you usually can’t file a chargeback, and a deposit is not treated the same as a purchase of goods.

Thanks for the info! Based on the reviews so far, it seems like it’s gonna be a really awesome car. I guess if you already have a model S/X then there’s not as much to look forward to. Definitely understand you cancelling if you’re waiting on the dual motor version. I don’t know what’s going to be available in over a year, but you would hope some companies would start releasing some decent competitors. Fortunately I’m in Southern California so other than a desire to have a faster car, I have no need for dual motors. It’s really too bad that option won’t be available for so long, but honestly, I wouldn’t get it anyway.

I sold my Model S for profit to a friend who, for reasons that only exist in colorado, could not claim the tax credit. It was a nice car but more payment than I cared to carry. We bought our 2016 ford focus electric for just over 11k after tax credits. You would have a hard time convincing me the features of the model 3 are worth 30k more. 90 mile range is enough that my wife drives it 3 days without charging, has comfortable heated leather seats, and a ton of other bells and whistles.

1 Like

Makes sense. If I drove very little, I’m sure I’d just lease a car for 10k miles/yr. I drive about 60-70 miles per day for work. If I were to run some errands or visit a friend, it could be upwards of 100 miles in a day. Also I travel to Orange County regularly, so a few hundred miles wouldn’t be out of the ordinary. Based on the reviews so far, I think 35k (minus tax incentives) will be a steal. 49k might be a harder sell, but I think many people will still go for it. If Tesla really can get autopilot fully autonomous before the end of the year, that could be a huge game changer (though at a $8k cost).

I am a fan of Tesla, but I don’t think anyone is at full self driving autonomy yet. I would love to be able to experience it in my lifetime though. Only time will tell i guess. Even though I believe we are not at full self driving autonomy, Tesla has done a great job at their autopilot. That alone will have me select their vehicle (ones that I can afford) over others, until another competitor brings to the table a nicely designed ev with similar or more bells and whistles.

Just my $.02.

Here is a conundrum for you regarding the $7,500 tax credit:

If you select the first production (which you will receive delivery) between Sept 2017 - Dec 2017 you will receive the full tax credit ($7,500), but will cost you at least $49K.

If you select the base battery (which you will receive delivery) between Jan 2018 - Mar 2018 but you will only receive half the tax credit ($3,750), which will cost you at least $35K.

Which one would you choose?

Tesla’s car sale is currently at ~130k in the US (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/tesla/tesla-model-s/).

To my understanding, the tax credit will be cut in half the quarter after they hit the 200k car sale marker. So, by Elon’s words, they are going to ramp up the production of Model 3 to 20k per month starting December. It’s most likely they won’t hit the 20k mark sometime in Q2 2018. That means the federal tax credit won’t be cut in half until Q3 2018.

But, yea, I totally agree that will have an impact on people whose delivery date is late 2018 - 2019.

1 Like

It’s funny that we have (or had) the same electric cars. I have a 16’ Model S and also leased a Focus Electric from that deal back in Feb. Even though the Focus is a nice little fun EV like you said, the heated seats and Nav all come standard (getting Apple CarPlay was a pain), but I still enjoy every drive in the Model S much more. I wouldn’t really compare the Model 3 with the FFE though. You mentioned the price difference, but the Model 3 is in a different market segment than the FFE, so that should justify, at least in part, that price gap. I’m sure lots of people cancelled the reservation for all sorts of reasons. I didn’t put down a deposit, but am considering now to get one and replace the FFE, or maybe the Bolt will fall to $99/month 0 down before I get the Model 3, then I’ll just cancel the reservation, lol…

The Bolt managed to become the best selling EV for July, so rumors of $99 Bolts have been greatly exaggerated :slight_smile:
We will need to watch August to see who is #1, that will determine both wait times for reservation holders and BOLT pricing :slight_smile: