Tesla bankruptcy?

I bought TSLA at the IPO, nothing crazy, just 1000 dollars worth of shares at around 30 bucks I think? I sold them later that day to double my “investment”… Needless to say I don’t look at TSLA prices very frequently.

1 Like

I bought a little over $30/share and sold at 180. When it dipped to 200 from 400 I picked up more. I’m playing with house money so I’m gonna let it ride!

4 Likes

Bought some thursday or Friday, selling now. :laughing:

2 Likes

This thread is such a perfect example of the Dunning-Kruger effect in action.

1 Like

I’m probably the one blind to my own incompetence here, but please elaborate.

1 Like

“Never try to reason the prejudice out of a man. It was never reasoned into him and it never can be reasoned out of him.”

1 Like

Wasn’t that Sydney Smith?

That’s like saying we should never try to teach others because why bother

2 Likes

If the opposite of what was predicted has happened, doesn’t that teach something? Doesn’t that elaborate strongly?
Instead the same old song and dance: Tesla will tank.
I don’t think this has a lot to do with Dunning-Kruger effect. There are many people who are financially motivated to see Tesla fail: Short sellers, car dealers, repair shops, car brokers, just about everyone in the automotive industry.

2 Likes

I wasn’t asking you, but

There is still plenty of time in this reality before the music stops.

As I’ve said more than once, I’m none of these. I’ve seen too many good companies run off a cliff by a toxic leader. I’m patient, it will play out. In the meantime, Musk gets his bonus and can pay back a few 2nd mortgages on his 5 houses and keep flying to work.

His $100B market cap celebration might just mix the wrong drugs …

1 Like

You forgot to mention the people with the blind obsession with Tesla. I always find it interesting that people with no skin in the game is obsessed with the company. Every car accident is in the news, every good/bad feature is news. Every dollar they make or lose, they act like it is the end of the world. I don’t know if people are just trying to get attention since anything with the word Tesla draw views or they are simply jealous. It’s totally bizarre.

1 Like

Some of us are just trying to wake those in a Tesla trance up before they Autopilot at highway speed into a parked fire truck.

And speaking only for myself, I post about .01% of Tesla news that I get passively that I consider to be endemic of the larger problem(s)(s)(s).

There were two especially nasty crashes that I didn’t post yesterday, so I deserve a :cookie:

1 Like

Take a break from the kool-aid for a minute. There are many companies Tesla is financially motivated to see fail as well. Any legacy car maker is a competitor Tesla is trying to take out. This conspiracy crap used to defend Tesla at every chance is silly. It’s called capitalism, not a conspiracy. You may have not used the term “conspiracy,” but plenty of others on the fanboy forums do, and use the same argument you did…”plenty want to see Tesla fail.” No kidding :roll_eyes:.

As @jeisensc mentioned, I, too, don’t want to see them (an American company) fail, nor am I “jealous” of their success. That’s another silly argument. That said, Musk is my problem. He’s erratic, and a loose cannon. He over promises and under delivers. The “new company” crap doesn’t cut it anymore…this is an almost 20 year old company. Any one of us that did or said a quarter of the things he has, would be out on the street looking in. IMO, he’s holding them back, not helping them at this point. Get a competent person in there with business acumen, and take them to the next level.

Spend more time to fix the notorious build quality issues, and less time pushing a download to make your horn sound like a wet fart. The things Musk focuses on are downright baffling.

1 Like

Flame throwers and Easter Eggs in the infotainment over 4 year late autopilot NY to LA, build quality issues, refreshing stale product, etc. It’s bombastic.

The one bit of bias I have is the whole Mark Fields issue: he called Musk out for their egregious governance and Musk joked and Fields got walked when Musk should have. He has one of those Google/FB like boards where he has all the control, and abuses it (Solar City :fire::moneybag::fire::moneybag::fire::moneybag: bailout for his idiot cousin).

I’ve worked with a lot of brilliant assholes: they are tolerated only as long as they need to be. Musk is a textbook toxic leader, and history has a pretty good record of taking care of them one way or another. When they do, I’ll get a Tesla. Until then, I’m driving the safest ICE SUV and watching them like student drivers.

1 Like

White label insurance, many complaints over repair times, expensive, proprietary repairs (one could argue this is smart to keep revenue in-house, but a deterrent to many who know how to repair cars, including owners), Atari video games that can supposedly only work when the car is idle, until some asshole discovers how to defeat it and play while autopilot drives (if it hasn’t happened already). The list goes on and on.

If Tesla actually built a world class car efficiently, with solid build quality, fit and finish and could refresh stale product, while repairing broken cars quickly, then fine. Spend your time on stupid stuff at that point. Musk can’t even get the basics fixed, and he’s doing all these little stupid pet projects on top.

1 Like

And that is presumably why all (successful) luxury car makes are directly targeting Tesla.

Does anyone know why its cars sell so well (and it’d be interesting to hear from the non fanbois…)? Yes, they apparently drive well, but the general public doesn’t care about that. They are not reliable. They don’t have amazing build quality. Does the Model 3 look any better than a Bolt or a Leaf? Traditional luxury car brands don’t produce truly bad cars. So why is Tesla so “hot?”

1 Like

If you have watched the Theranos documentary and laughed: this is even more ridiculous: “we’re going to create our own car insurance company”. They couldn’t pull it off so they white-labeled. A still unresolved cluster. There is a difference between audacious disruptive goals and fantasy land (why don’t more of you parents sniff out this BS on your own?)

1 Like

The vary reason I’ve said if anyone is going to buy Tesla Motors (just the car company), it’s Tata: only JLR and Tesla customers will spend that much, drive the car home, need it flat-bedded for service the next day, and still brag how much they love it. The very same person whose X6m or Lexus died would be back at the dealership MAKING A SCENE.

1 Like

I still fail to see how it is your problem. It is not your money and they are selling well without you. It just seems pity to be going on and on about it.

The Autopilot problem. Automatic rifle killed more people, maybe you should go around asking people to return them.

3 Likes

I am a Tesla owner (bought a Model 3 only a few months back) but I am a car guy first and a deal/bargain/value hunter second. I was in the market to replace my fun car (ND Miata) and my commuter car (Mazda 3) with one car that is both fun and usable with a toddler in rear facing car seat and a newborn arriving soon. To answer each of your points/questions:

1. Drives well: It is useably super fast meaning the acceleration at any speed under 70 mph is just explosive (easily on par with the M3 or C63) for far less money (after the tax credits my net price was about $42k). It has better steering than the new 330i I was cross shopping it with and handling feels tight and secure as a sport sedan should.

2. Reliability: Far fewer moving parts compared to any ICE car so less chance of something going wrong and Tesla has ironed out most of the early issues by now. Do I trust it to be as reliable as our RX450h, no. Do I expect it to be at least as reliable as my 428i that needed a new iDrive system within 2 months of ownership, yes and that is good enough for me. Premium German brands that I was also considering are not really known for their reliability anyways so what do I have to lose?

3. Build quality: Again not at the level of our Lexus nor as good as premium Germans but it is definitely better than earlier builds. Let me put it this way, I do not notice anything inside the cabin or in exterior trim that looks off so that is good enough for me.

4. Looks: Obviously this is very subjective but I appreciate the rwd proportions as opposed to the compact hatch looks of the Bolt or the Leaf with the long front overhangs. As an added bonus material quality is significantly higher than the Bolt and the Leaf as well and it has an independent rear suspension as opposed to the torsion beams on the other two.

Here is what I think also helps the Model 3 sales:

• Running costs are a huge bonus for the average buyer. I get M3/C63 level acceleration with my Long Range AWD model with a gas/energy bill that is 7 or 8 times less (your mileage will vary, I get cheap charging at work and at home). Plus no costly service every 5-10k miles.

• The infotainment system, which arguably is the part of the car that you use the most after the wheel and the pedals, is the best on any car that I have used.

• Getting the software updates to improve range/performance and add features keeps the car new/interesting and that is yet another bonus if one gets bored with cars quickly like me.

• Perhaps most importantly range anxiety is not an issue. Not only I get a daily range that easily covers even the longest commute in the worst weather conditions but I also have the supercharging network to fall back on. So essentially most people can cross shop the Model 3 against any ICE car, which arguably makes it the first affordable EV that can be cross shopped with the ICE competition with no compromises needed.

• Some people appreciate the environmentally friendly aspect of EVs but that is a long debate so let’s just say at least it is the perception that you are helping the environment.

• Lastly it is the novelty of owning an EV. We have all driven ICE cars all our lives so far and EVs are just new/different in certain ways. Silent acceleration, smooth drivetrain with no gear changes, one pedal driving, having a full tank every morning with no trips to gas station etc.

10 Likes