Tesla bankruptcy?

Turo doesn’t offer any electrics in my area to rent. With that said, I have no problems with electrics. I’ve never driven one yet, but have considered a Volt. Something else has always caught my eye with better lease terms though, so I’ve passed. I sat in a Model S in San Diego, and it’s a really nice car. Not $1,000/mo nice to me though. The Model 3…I just can’t get over the minimalistic dashboard, and the fact you have to use the touchscreen to control virtually everything on the entire car. I’ve had a Saturn Ion before years ago for a rental, and couldn’t wait to give it back due to the fact the gauges weren’t where they were supposed to be (and that car was junk overall). I just didn’t like it.

Charging stations are still few and far between here. Outside of Volts, I see very few BEVs here. I’ve seen 1 or maybe 2 Model S’s, and just saw my first i3 on the road yesterday. When an automaker can build a reasonably priced EV with a decent lease, and good looks, I would consider one.

I enjoy driving, but I also don’t want to overpay for that experience either.

Tesla announced it is idling the Model S and X production line.
Oh the irony - they can’t make the one with the high demand quickly enough
The one they can make quickly is now no longer selling as well…

C’mon you should know that a DCF is very easy to manipulate…and is kinda pointless for, as you say, a growth/tech stock

Nice cover story for having to assign all available personnel to the Model 3 lines to crank out as many as possible the next couple of days to try and hit an extrapolated build rate of 2,500 a week so it can share that with investors during the next earnings release. “Hey, we built at a rate of 2,500 a week!! For like 1 day, but still!”
I swear, Tesla has as much credibility as the Cheeto administration right now.

So what would happen to our $1k deposits if Tesla goes belly up?

They’d go poof into the cash incineration engine.

that actually brings up a good point…if the doom and gloom continues, how many of those deposits are going to be cancelled out of fear they will lose money? That could lead to another challenge. I know some won’t, but there is a likelihood that some could.

They will just have to return the money if people cancelled. In the grand scheme of things, the money will barely make a dent compare to their burn. Given how every Tesla requires a wait, I doubt people will want to get out of line if they truly want it.

They idle the plant for one day, see how people fall for it and thinks they are getting shut down.

Just think of the Tesla as a better performing Volt, it just drives way nicer in terms of handling and acceleration. Is it worth 4x the cost, that’s for you to answer. As someone who works in finance, I would say no. As a driver, I would say hell yes. Still, the autopilot is what separates the car from other product. The ability to put the car in semi auto mode and just cruise will make your drive more enjoyable.

To bro1999, everything that has the word Tesla is bad. His Bolt is the best

1 Like

OH MY GOD. all arguments aside, that’s so sad.

See, IMO, I WANT to drive my car, and don’t want the computer to do it for me. So, that really doesn’t do much for me.

2 Likes

Fair enough, then how much do you put in terms of acceleration, comfort and handling (no right or wrong answer). I am just saying you have to put that in perspective on how much to spend on a car.

Tesla debunked the hearsay story with AP being in repair

Not good…
Tesla Recalls Model S Cars Over Bolt Issue https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-recalls-123-000-model-s-cars-over-bolt-issue-1522361482

If TSLA is like any other traditional car manufacturer, I’d use DCF as ONE method of valuation. Your saying DCF on TSLA’s car business supports its share price takes too many hopeful assumptions for granted and it makes no sense any analyst can come up with a real intrinsic value of TSLA using DCF.

It’s freakin’ difficult to come up with even a revenue build-up for TSLA at this point after a series of misses, let alone 5-year “future” FCFs AND “terminal” value?

And company CAN go bankrupt even if there’s no leverage/coverage problems.

Once again, musk and friends own more than a quarter of the company. Why would they file , unless the market decides not to loan hem money.

As someone said, you don’t think someone like Apple or google are waiting to jump in at the right price should it go down and further. This is not a company with no customers, they just gamble with tons of money to hit it big

All I’m saying is a company could be forced to file bankruptcy even though it may not have any cash flow problem at the moment. I haven’t looked at the latest credit profile at TSLA, but if market loses confidence enough, stock takes beating, then your leverage ratio can certainly reach a point that forces breach of covenant.

I was simply pointing out that you can’t be 100% certain that just because a company’s cash flow today can support its debt level, it doesn’t mean it can’t go bankrupt.

Obviously, if TSLA is deemed attractive enough, they might get bought out once stock tanks as long as Musk sees it a better route than going bankrupt. But as you say, even if a giant tech co buys, it doesn’t mean the new owner may necessarily operate it as it does today. Say Google buys TSLA for $10bn and the value propositions were primarily technology and IP, and has 0 interest in manufacturing/selling cars, then they may just get rid of it. They didn’t buy Motorola to sell phones.

As someone who loves watching Air Disasters there are many cases of aircraft autopilots contributing to crashes. You see situations where the autopilot disengages and the pilots can’t figure out what is happening which gets them into trouble. They rely so much on the automation that they lose situational awareness and find it hard to regain control or work whatever the problem is.

With the systems we have now in cars that are not full autonomy you will be seeing that happen all the time on the roads. People not paying attention letting the car doing the work and then suddenly the car says “can’t figure this out, over to you”.

Good Lord, the hits just keep on coming.

Literally, the wheels have fallen off Tesla. What a difference a couple of weeks make.

I agree it does make some people more irresponsible, but then it is no different than the people I see driving with their head buried in the phone with any other car. It’s good and bad, but I feel like you get more good than bad in general. Anyway this is why we can’t have nice things, people just find ways to abuse it…

Ignore the noise about the autopilot and the car’s safety, most people are now blaming Caltran for the Mountain View accident even though it appears the driver put himself in the median and crashed it. 10000+ people drive by that spot daily, apparently we have to cater to this guy who probably wasn’t paying attention and got himself killed.

Tesla is recalling 123,000 Model S vehicles. Excessive corrosion on steering shaft assembly…

Did the OTA not work? Ouch ouch - that’s a billion dollar charge right there no?

You need to cut down on your early morning tweets. Just read 7 posts above.