Tesla and Depreciation

If you have all that money, why would you not pick up an Aston Martin instead???

3 Likes

That’s just the thing. They didn’t have the money so they financed a car that costs 1/2 a house.

4 Likes

That would be a rosy result😁. I think Carvana,Vroom, etc offers on 2019 4 series weeks off the showroom floor are barely at60-65% of MSRP. They aint no fools! They know we are getting 30%+ off MSRP right out of the gate.

1 Like

Wonder if the inflated residuals will ever catch up to BMW one of these days… Then again there’s probably so much margin on each car to begin with that it really doesn’t matter

1 Like

Good lord. $2300 for a Tesla!? Id be in a Bentley or Aston at that price point, so much more rare then the Model Xs I see all over the place…But I mean, this story also hits close to home. I made a similar mistake early in my professional carer, financing a car at just under $1k per month and then my company doing massive layoffs and having to unload it (thankfully at the time my payoff was the same as market price so…washed my hands of it). But having a car that eats a disproportionate amount of your income such that you cant handle a major life event…is such a bad idea.

Am I the only one that finds his story hard to believe?
How is this possible to stretch yourself this much and not have a backup plan? He went from making $150k a year to a job at McD? Can’t find another job? WTF?!

I don’t even think at $150k one should have a payment that size, unless there are no other bills whatsoever. A hundred and fifty dimes isn’t that much when your ride eats over $28k post-tax dollars annually.

:bat:

1 Like

Well yes but when you live with mommy you don’t pay rent…so party is on!

2 Likes

Probably he grabbed a one-time bonus. Lots of Wall Street guys did the same, but with exotics. They believed the fun will last forever.

1 Like

I have a theory…somehow he included the free supercharging in to original calc when he considered the affordability of the car…maybe if we see his spreadsheet we could make a sense of all this…lol.

I remember reading a quote by the ceo of General motors saying bmw built 3-series for the same cost as gm building a Chevrolet Malibu. Pretty crazy but probably true. Tons of profit on those luxury cars

2 Likes

Usually known as a proud member of the quarter tank club…except no gas involved.

I built one on their site. With every option available (and chosing the most expensive paint, wheel and seating options), it is only $124,990.

The guy overpaid by a lot, period. Tesla has been all over the place with pricing but if a new one fully loaded is 125k, then used with always be less.

Tesla’s don’t depreciate nearly enough for my tastes. My wife would have loved a Model S over her Audi S4. The fact that a similar used Model S was almost 2x the cost made that decision pretty easy. We will see how the Model 3 does in a couple of years.

The fact you are only now seeing 2012 RWD Model S’s on the high 20k range with a nice chunk of miles is telling. Remember, these folks buying those paid $7500 under with tax credits as well, so they didn’t take a big depreciation hit.

1 Like

You didn’t read the thread at all it seems. They lowered prices dramatically.

5 Likes

Gottem. Reading is overrated, skimming is where its at. Regardless if you just say what 3 other people above have said.

Are you referring to the “gas savings” line item on Tesla’s website, which actually has nothing to do with the cost of the car and is nothing but misleading? If so, that’s only about 5 grand I believe. Unless he had a 15% interest rate, in addition to this, and 173k is the total price with interest and “gas savings.”

Whatever this dude did, he really wanted this car.

2 Likes

I don’t need the spreadsheet to make sense of this, I’ve reached my conclusion on this X buyer and I will provide my detailed notes on it below:

This guy is a moron!

I’m telling you man, somewhere in there on that sheet he did a “+” instead of a “x” and everything unraveled.

Not really…i was just trying to make fun of him.

I suspect the interest on his loan is high due to not having a long credit history…aka being young.

I must’ve had a Polish moment and it went over my head. Oops.

2 Likes

They happen, even to non-Polocks who end up upside-down in a Model X.

Mom always says just smile and enjoy a perogi.

1 Like